Calling all Colour Experts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt73

Reaction score
So, I thought Levi was smokey black; it's one of 5 listed posibilties on the "colour calculator" and made sense to me. But I notice he has a pronounced dorsal stripe that goes through to his tail and he has shoulder bars. More than one person suggested he may be grullo. His sire, Triple K's Double Your Destiny, is a cremello and his dam is a silver black. I was told that the grand sire, Alvadars Double Destiny carries dun. Hmmmmm. What are your thoughts? I'll get a better pic of his dorsal stripe soon.

DSCF00012.jpg

DSCF0010-2.jpg

Matt, to be a dun you must have a dun parent. It can't skip a generation.

To have a dorsal stripe and shoulder bars you don't need to be dun. Ozymandias started his yearling year looking like this (pic below)got more and more stripes each following year and ended up as a brindle.

Your colt is stunning
default_wub.png

Ob5.jpg

He could be a dark buckskin or bay too. Plenty of bays and come buckskins have the "dorsal stripe" and dark shoulder bars, or rather dark shading over the top of the shoulders.

You know what I think
default_smile.png
I think the sire may have inherited dun from one of his parents and passed it along to Mr. Levi. Dun won't come out of nowhere but I personally own a lot of dun horses and a lot of double dilute horses. I know you won't likely see dun visually on a mature double dilute horse. If it's possible that one of the sire's parents carried dun, then based on what I'm seeing, I think Levi is smokey grullo and inherited that from his cremello dun sire. What I see that makes me think so are the dorsal, shoulder bars and darker head. Whatever his color, though, Levi is one very nice little guy
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is just countershading, but you'll have a better idea when the baby fuzz comes off. He sure is refined-can't wait to see how he matures
default_smile.png

Oh I know! I know! And the color calculator agreed. You enter Destiny X Lexi and the result is 100% BEAUTIFUL! ;)

LOL Oh, Parmela
default_biggrin.png
You're too funny...and sweet. Thanks. Thanks everyone. I guess I'll just wait and see....No rush to register just yet.

I had one that looked quite similar when born. Black sire, Sorrel Pinto dam:

IMG1417_00_029.jpg

I was shocked at the dorsal stripe and cross bar. Several more knowledgeable people than me told me he would shed off Black. Sure enough:

IMG1749_749_055.jpg

He Probably is a Smokey Black

but I have to agree with Jill On his Sire, He could be a Smokey Grullo

Gorgeous Whatever Color he Happens to be
default_wink.png

Thanks all. So, I'm going with smokey black. Apparently, many smokey black foals are mistaken for dun or grullo; he looks very similar to a few foals on here: http://morgancolors.com/smokyblack.htm And because smokey black was a % possibility (in the colour calculator), I think I'll go with that
default_yes.gif
It's going to be interesting to see how he clips/sheds out.

Matt, responding late, but I had a filly born to a grullo mare our of a double dilute stallion, he carries a gene for palomino and cremello, but is dilute black. Any how the filly was born gun metal grey with a dorsal strip and strip on her withers, so I registered her as grullo, well, had to change her paper to dilute black, she lost all strips as she matured. Just as you have suggested go with smokey black and save youself the extra trouble of having to change the color later on.

Latest posts

Back