Buyer never tranferred papers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandra dittus

Reaction score
Normally I just lurk but I hope someone can help.. I received an e-mail from a lady up north that has been trying to buy a young mare that was bought from me. "Problem 1" I sold this mare in the fall of 2004 and the couple that bought her never had her transferred to their name. "Problem 2"The couple also bought a colt at the same time and didn't transfer his papers. "Problem 4" The mare is now in foal and no stallion report has been filed. The couple are no longer interested in the horses but are asking Registered prices.

The lady that e-mailed me really wants both horses but the late fees would be off the wall. The original owners of the stallion and myself would be willing to help this lady to purchase this horse .

So here is the question...who is responsible to file the stallion report? Would AMHA waive late fees if it was for the well being of the horses?(AND IT IS) Am I still considered the owner even though the mare is paid for? What if anything can I do to help this lady. I really feel that she would be a life saver for both of these horses.

Thanks

Sandy

The owner of record on the stallion is responsible for the late fee and as far as AMHA waiving the fee for the good of the horses.....thats a joke! They are desparate for money so I doubt they will make an acception.

Lyn

Can the recorded owner of the Stallion file a late stallion report even though the horse is no longer in his possesion??

As long as their name is on the papers the registry doesnt care where it is , They can only go by what is on the papers and in the computer. They have no way of checking where the horse is. All that matters to the registry is whose name is on there.

Lyn

If you really want this lady to have the horses then tell her to get them. Give her a new transfer on both horses, sign a stallion report and let her pay the fees.

That is what I was thinking Ashley, just didn't dare to say it out loud. Thanks to all I'll let you know if it works out.

Saandy

This is the same event that happened ot me. Bought some bred mares and a stallion from a guy that never transferred them into his name or filed any paperwork (unbeknownst to me) . It was only after the foals were born and sold that the nightmare began. The original owner of the stallion was very helpful-thankfully and many months later and many dollars later horses are all in my name and all late fees are paid for. Just know that AMHA will require DNA testing of foals if the stallion reports are late. Good Luck!

Well this is an update.

The couple that bought my little mare are getting a divorce and apparently are using the horses against one another. The lady that was interested in buying the horses drove for over an hour to get the horses, cash in hand and couldn't even get a bill of sale signed. She had to leave the horses, even though the papers weren't transfered she still needed to make sure she got a bill of sale signed.

I am just SICK!!! The lady told me that Foxy is big as a barrell and feels that she is probably going to foal by April. This couple are giving them very minimum care, Foxy is under 30in. and a maiden. I don't think I am cut out for this business. I don't expect to get rich breeding horses but I think it is my responsibilty to find decent homes for the ones that I sell. I have never made a sale this bad and I don't know how to deal with it.

Sandy

Ok, so why did she need a bill of sale? Its not like she could really go back at them for any reason when the horses are not even in her name. If it were me I would of just taken them and just forgot about the bill of sale.

Ashley, She needed the Bill of Sale because even though the Mare wasn't transferred by the Couple, they still legally own the horse but the horses' papers are still in my name as far as AMHA is concerned. It would only cost the Couple $100.00 to update her papers but they are so busy fighting over their divorce they can't see that. I am in Fl. and the Mare is in Conn. so there isn't a lot that I can do except try to help the Lady that is trying to purchase the Mare

That potential buyer would especially need that signed bill of sale in the case of that couple getting a divorce. If she pays cash to one of them the other could go after her for the money as well. She may not need it for AMHA but for her own protection.

We had a family her near us that split a while back. He had a few cows with their son and also a donkey. My wife loved that donkey. When they split they sold and both moved. He had to find a place to keep animals. Over a year later she called looking for the donkey and was sure we must have it. We never took in the donkey and now are glad we didn't. (He did go to a very nice home). The Ex wife was trying to get the donkey as she wanted her 1/2. The donkey was given away so I would guess her half of 0 is 0.

That signed bill of sale might come in handy some day.

Mark

Can the recorded owner of the Stallion file a late stallion report even though the horse is no longer in his possesion??
I havent read all the answers yet but I totally disagree with that and wouldnt file a stallion report with MY NAME ON IT unless I personally bred that mare and saw which stallion bred her.

They will DNA and PQ the foal before it can be registered and if you dont have the right stallion and you signed you were there and did the breeding well sure doesnt come back looking good on you.

Personally I would tell them they need to purchase the mare as is meaning with unreg foal unless the seller wants to be the one to do the stallion report and then you can all decide who will pay late fees, DNA fees ect

In no way will AMHA waive them nor should they

It si so disappointing when yu sell a good horse & they never bother to transfer the papers.

Even the colt we sold at Little King Farm Sale has never been transferred.

This really bothers me.

I agree with Lisa- I would NEVER sign my name to a stallion report or any papers on a horse that was not in my possession and I could not verify what he did and did not breed!! You are signing that you KNOW that the information on the report is correct and true.

No, they will not waive the late fee.

I would suggest the potential buyers contact the registry to see exactly what the late fees would be. Either sell the resulting foals as unregistered if they cannot afford it, bring the parents papers up to date and get some registered foals the next year.

It is a total shame that folks dont keep up on stuff... it just makes for a BIG mess, lots of money on late fees and getting things straightened out and a headache for all involved.

Have they tried finding out how much it will all be and asking those owners to take that much off the sale price? There could be a few options here.....

Just curious, where is the mare in CT as I live in CT?

Joyce

Joyce The name of the town is Madison, right on the coast about 1hr. from NY City. I have contacted the Registry at AMHA and they were very helpful for a few hundred dollars everything could be up to par. The problem is the seller is impossible to work with, wants top dollar for the mare but unwilling to do any paper work on her side. There is nothing that I can do even though the horse is still in my name, I sold her with a legal BOS and Transfer papers. Even though it bothers me it is out of my hands so I guess I just go on, maybe down the road someone will buy her and give her a good home.

Sandy

Joyce The name of the town is Madison, right on the coast about 1hr. from NY City. I have contacted the Registry at AMHA and they were very helpful for a few hundred dollars everything could be up to par. The problem is the seller is impossible to work with, wants top dollar for the mare but unwilling to do any paper work on her side. There is nothing that I can do even though the horse is still in my name, I sold her with a legal BOS and Transfer papers. Even though it bothers me it is out of my hands so I guess I just go on, maybe down the road someone will buy her and give her a good home.

Sandy

Latest posts

Back