BusySnackers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyeeRanch

Reaction score
I am researching slow feeders and have a couple of questions. I have noticed that a bunch of people have tried the Busy Snackers and are happy with them. Can you tell me what size you use for the minis? And can you fill them and leave them all day or do you still have to use just a one feeding serving as normal? Thanks in advance.

I'm guessing by this you mean the hexagon balls that has a hole in so they roll them to get the feed out? If so mine absolutely LOVE them!sometimes I stuff a load of haylage in the whole to make it harder for the feed to come out as my guys get the feed out pretty quickly.

I have the busysnackers (thats the name of the actual size) and love them. That said, they will not hold an entire days worth of hay. I fill mine in the morning and at night, and they generally make 1 flake last about 4 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orin - No, I am actually talking about the slow feeder hay nets. There are many types of them.

mydaddysjag - OK now I have it straight. I will check in to the bigger sizes.

I just bought 6 each of the Busy Snackers in November for my 6 miniatures. I only put 4 out at a time so I have back up in case it gets really cold and I think they may eat more. This way no one "guards" them. The horses prefer eating from them rather than the ground. I have no waste and no one pees in the hay. I put them out at 5:30am and it takes until 2:00 pm before they are empty then I refill when I get home for night time feeding. The horses are less stressed at grain time and they seem to take their time eating instead of trying to scarf it everything down at once. I am super happy with them!
default_yes.gif
and so are the horses!

In December I bought more so I fill up all 8 at night so it makes for quick chores in the morning so I can spend more time hugging necks and scratching chins before work! It may seem expensive to do it this way but the benefits are huge and a small price to pay for horse happiness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much for the reply. So tell me how much hay the Busy Snacker holds. Would I need to step it up to the next size for a full days ration?

I have been looking for something like this but one that sits on the ground. Can anyone help?

mydaddysjag, have you noticed any changes in their necks from eating in this position or do you put them on the floor? I love the idea of the hay staying clean and them being occupied for much longer but there is just something about them eating in that position that doesn't convince me.
no.gif

Any ideas?

When I hang my busy snackers, its low to the ground, not up in the air. The bottom of the busy snacker is level with the floor in my stall, and the top of it is just under their noses, so they dont have to reach up in the air. I am super picky about that, I wont hang hay above their head, because when the dust or scraps fall out, it goes in their eyes. I did try putting them on the floor, but my horses were flinging them all over the place, my stallion kept managing to throw his into my gelding stall. Made Domingo happy, not so much Moe lol. Now I have eye bolts screwed into the wall low that I clip them to with a double end snap.

laugh.gif
I bet your gelding was very happy
yes.gif
Thanks for the info, I think I will get a few too

saludando.gif

Love, love, love my busy snackers. My horses are out in the pasture in the winter months from about 9:00 am until 4:00 pm. I call them in and about 4:30 or so I'll hang their busy snackers out. I put 1/2 a flake in each feeder (per vet's recommendation) sometimes a little more, depending on how cold it is. It'll take them 2 hours to eat. There is no aggression, although they are constantly shuffling around, eating from a different bag. I guess they are convinced that their neighbor is having something better than they are? Their bags are hanging on a wall, top of the bag is even with their ears (maybe a tad lower) but certainly not on the ground. They don't waste a single strand of hay. When I put the same amount in a regular feeder, they pull it out, throw it around, pee on it and waste some. I guess they figure since they have to work so hard to get it out, they are not going to let any go to waste. Even my ferrier has recommended them to other horse owners (especially those whose horses are overweight). Even my little mini donkey is getting used to eating from them (he had a little trouble at first as he is not as "pushy" about eating.

I recently built a slow feeder and have been testing it out and love it so far. My only complaint is the tester gets his push down thing stuck, but it is a tight fit, so I took it out tonight and am going to trim it down 1/4" each end - that should fix it.

Do you have any pictures of the slow feeder you built? I have the busy snackers that I use in my stalls, but I would love to be able to build a slow feeder for out in the pasture that could hold maybe a square bale at a time. I want to be able to have hay out free choice through the winter, but round bales dont seem like they will work for me with only three horses. Ive seen a lot of different versions of home built slow feeders, but havent really come across anything that looks safe for minis.

I have given hubby instructions and he will be building mine in the next few days. I will post pics and let you know how it works.

Muffntuf can we see pics of yours please
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back