Building Topline while losing weight

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fantasia

Reaction score
I have a horse here that I bred who I'm preparing for a show. I asked to prep him because his current owner had let him get fat and was bemoaning the fact he wasn't doing any good in the ring! (I mean honestly, what did she EXPECT!) Have worked out from talking to her mother they were basically over feeding him and no work.

Anyway, he's been in work for about two weeks purely to get the weight off - twenty-thirty mins a day on a paddock with a slope to help. Feed is four cups soaked beet pulp with rolled barley, oaten chaff and a half cup oil twice a day. One hour grass per day. Hay at night. He's a four yr old 37.5' gelding.

Weight coming off really well and we can actually see some muscle! Ya!

What I have discovered is she has let him get into an extremely bad habit of running around with a hollow back - head up in the air. And sure enough, most of his weight has come off his back - not his hips, his back. He has also started to lose the fat rolls behind his shoulder.

I have put him in a biting rig and now working him soley at the trot and over some ground poles along with still working the slope. He is of course finding it hard but is starting to figure out his head carriage.

After reading all the beet pulp threads I am wondering if I should be increasing his beet and dropping down something else (thinking the oil)?? He still has weight around his shoulders and I have yet to actually find his ribs.... His hindquarters are rounding out nicely. We are currently having extremely hot weather here.

Any thoughts appreciated

He sounds as if he's prime for preparing to teach him to pull a cart....... That alone will help build muscle where you want it.

There are a number of people on here that have lots of experience for doing just that.
default_smile.png

PS: Just re-read your post and it does sound as if you are on the right track........ as far as exercising. Can't say much about using beet pulp for losing weight. I've had better luck with it in large quantities to GAIN weight, along with grain and alfalfa pellets, etc.....

The standard feeding process for a show horse for us is to gradually increase grain and reduce the hay - but NEVER cut out hay....They NEED the forage for healthy digestion and a healthy MIND. A good exercise program is probably more important than anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, he's been in work for about two weeks purely to get the weight off - twenty-thirty mins a day on a paddock with a slope to help. Feed is four cups soaked beet pulp with rolled barley, oaten chaff and a half cup oil twice a day. One hour grass per day. Hay at night. He's a four yr old 37.5' gelding.
Weight coming off really well and we can actually see some muscle! Ya!

After reading all the beet pulp threads I am wondering if I should be increasing his beet and dropping down something else (thinking the oil)?? He still has weight around his shoulders and I have yet to actually find his ribs.... His hindquarters are rounding out nicely. We are currently having extremely hot weather here.

Any thoughts appreciated
I'm not sure about increasing the beet pulp, but if you are trying to get him to lose weight, I'd definitely decrease if not drop the oil from his diet, at least til he's at an appropriate weight; oil is high in calories, which he doesn't need if you are trying to decrease his weight.

I swear by the TuffRock products for all my horses. My little gelding is always hard to get topline on and he has been on it all year. Infact all my horses have been. I also feed a stablised ricebran product like power on for topline . I have access to feedxl also so could punch in his stats if you gave me his details.

Can you email me too. been trying to email you at your xtra email and keeps bouncing... I must be have a typo in ther some where but I can't see where... duuuurrrrr

Well if you are feeding 1/2 cup oil 2x s a day then that is 1000 free calories. That's a lot for a miniature horse. I would cut that out, drop him off of it over 4-5 days.

Then re-evaluate.

I agree that is a lot of oil for a miniature horse... my Shetland pony was getting only 2 oz. of oil when he was gaining weight...

I would drop the oil and maybe add a little bit of beet pulp.

Andrea

Latest posts

Back