Building hindquarters NMHR

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BFS_Simon_Says

Reaction score
I haven't been able to ride my Quarter Horse most of the winter and he has no muscle in his hindquarters, the middle section dips in(if that makes sense) what kind of exercises can we do to bring his muscle back?

doing hill work will help build up muscles in the rearend and also changing from walk/trot/walk/trot transitions along with trot/canter/trot/canter transitions and half halts but don't do it to much in the very beginning until he's in a little better shape
default_smile.png

what about using cavaletti? will that get him to engage his hind end more?

what about using cavaletti? will that get him to engage his hind end more?
Yup, absolutely...and it will help strengthen his stifle, which will need some muscling up as well.
default_yes.gif
: I find cavaletti one of the best excercises for just about anything...top-line, bottom-line, hind end...and the mind...as it requires concentration.

Other good hindquarter builders when conditioning are backing up slight inclines and rollbacks. If your horse doesn't know how to do them with you aboard, free lunging and turning him off the fence works just as well.

Latest posts

Back