building a mini-sized lean to/stall question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlacierRidge

Reaction score
We are fairly small scale, we have 2 mini geldings and 3 mini donkeys, who are all kept together. They have a run in, that is a corner of my barn, so at least one of the doors is always kept open.

I would really LOVE to have hubby build them their own lean to. I would love to have the extra space in my already small barn, and I would love to be able to shut the doors in the wintertime (and also have more space to put in a couple extra stalls to keep them in if the weather is really nasty), and also..... all 5 of them are very well "litter trained." They all seem to enjoy being outside, but then make a special trip into the barn to poop or pee, then go back outside again. The minute I clean up after them, someone is in leaving me yet another mess.... I'd rather have the mess outside. But, the most important reasons are the extra space for stalls for them, and being able to close my barn door on cold days. I can never do this now.

My husband is very handy when it comes to this, he builds things like this for a living, however not to this scale. I would like to build something their size. Their inside space right now is 10x15, and they all share it well. But how high? I really don't want it too high, because where I would place it would block out my view from the house of the pasture, and also the higher it is, the more wind resistance it will give, more likely to tip (we will plan on tying it down somehow, this would be a moveable shelter, poles not set into the ground). I plan on it being a typical lean to, higher in front, lower in back (roof). I don't mind having to bend over a little.... but does anyone have any pointers/suggestions on height or anything else who has built their own mini sized shelters? I know I have seen photos on here in the past, I'll need to look for them again.

Also, if we are able to do this...I would like to put in two stalls for now. We may sell one of our donkeys, but have two large horse stalls just in case. But the two geldings, and remaining two donkeys would get along just fine in stalls together, they are all quite attached. But wanted to ask....is a 10x10 stall big enough for two B sized minis to share? I would think that's plenty myself... since they get along. Thanks!

This might work for you. Its not a lean-tu, its a two stall barn with center divider. I leave the doors pinned back most of the time, but in bad weather I have the option of closing them. You could also leave the doors off and use a gate. The posts are in the ground and I wouldn't be one for tying anything down for safety reasons, you never know what will happen next. Just be sure whatever height you make it, you don't bash your head in there. The higher it is, the more oxygen you will have circulating.

Littlebarncloseup-1.png

These are the barns we built. They are 6'x9'x4.5' (front)and 4' (back). You just have to be careful of how much snow you get in your area as to what slope you have on the roof. If it isn't enough slope the roof can collapse under the weight of the snow. We don't get a lot so my pitch is only 1 in 12. (1" up in 12") If the barn was 12' deep it would be 4' in the back and 5' in the front. That allows for snow to melt and run off.

These are made with 1" square tubing for a frame and then the 3' wide pro panel roofing material. They are pretty heavy but still moveable if you get under them and lift up.

shedrow.jpg

shedbarn1.jpg

Latest posts

Back