Buck kneed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaytori220

Reaction score
We just purchased a 17 yo mini gelding a couple weeks ago who is severely over at the knee. He is not lame nor showing any signs of pain. He is long in the toe, low in the heel, with quite a bit of flare. My farrier is due out soon to trim and I've already told him about his long toe low heel issue. My farrier does corrective trimming and does awesome with horses with low heels and long toes. He has always corrected those problems. Now my question is...with the proper trim to get this resolved will the bucked knees be less noticeable? I've never owned a horse with this issue. And he will only be used as a child's horse to plod around on. I have looked at photos of him when he was younger and his knees were over then also.

It might correct it a little, but since he is aged, i don't think anything will "fix" it. Have noticed it goes along with long pasterns (not always, but just an observation). Over at the knees really isn't that terrible. It has little effect on the joints since the knee is still in a natural position. Behind at the knee would be cause for concern. So if it's not causing him pain, i would not worry too much.

Being over at the knee is not corrected with trimming; horses are born that way. It's not desirable, but it's also not, necessarily, a weakness; the Grand Prix Canadian Jumper (and Olympian), Kahlua, was severely over at the knee.

Latest posts

Back