Bruised Hooves

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManyMinisFarm

Reaction score
Hello, my almost 3yr old Filly has slight bruising on her hooves. She he just started exercising and is being lunged for only 5 mins left and right. She is not exercised everyday. I just put her on a new feed a few days ago also. I just noticed the bruising today. It has been cold lately and the paddock ground has been freezing and she has been running around playing with the other horses. What could be causing the bruising?????

IMG_20150213_165234_162.jpg

IMG_20150213_165301_443.jpg

IMG_20150213_165323_023.jpg

IMG_20150213_165255_323.jpg

White hoofs almost always show some bruising like that. Can be caused by anything and everything, but it is nothing to worry about. Dark hoofs almost certainly have the same thing--you just can't see it on a dark hoof.

Yes, white hooves do show that more. Any changes from feed would not show up in hooves for several weeks. The bottom left photo does show some issues that I think could be addressed with a feed change and different trimming. I do think your filly's heels are a little tall, also. Hopefully some other folks will chime in. You are on the ball to ask questions about her feet.

I have a similar concern with my horse. Just the usual pinkness, then this morning I noticed some purple. I've sent the photos to my trimmer. I've owned him about 4 months, so he's had some life changes. He also had a colic episode about 3 months ago. Not sure where those events would/could show up on the hoof.

No heat in the hooves and he is not tender-footed.

I'm sure my dark-hooved guy has the same things, but I can't see it so ignorance is bliss.

The photos are the of the right front hoof.

hoof1.jpg

hoof2.jpg

Yes, changes do occur in their hooves, caused by "stress", whether it be a change in diet, significant weather change, illness, etc. Their hooves tend to tell a lot.

My father in law had a horse get really sick one winter, almost lost him; he grew out a couple odd rings in his hoof. We call them stress rings. [Not all are founder or laminitis caused, but just a stress in their life (even minor things can cause them, most are harmless; but are telling).

I have a similar concern with my horse. Just the usual pinkness, then this morning I noticed some purple. I've sent the photos to my trimmer. I've owned him about 4 months, so he's had some life changes. He also had a colic episode about 3 months ago. Not sure where those events would/could show up on the hoof.

No heat in the hooves and he is not tender-footed.

I'm sure my dark-hooved guy has the same things, but I can't see it so ignorance is bliss.

The photos are the of the right front hoof.
I sent these photos to my dil, who is a certified barefoot trimmer. This is her reply:

"This is bruising, most likely as it is located at the junction of the "old" hoof growth that occurred before you got him and the "new" hoof growth that is emerging after you got him. You can see that the new hoof growth is growing in tighter, and it creates a steeper hoof wall angle. Where the two different angles from the old growth and new growth meets, there is often a bruise, as there will be some leverage/pressure at that point. It's nothing to worry about, and the new growth looks much better and healthy. You can also see where an old abscess broke open at the same junction - again, probably due to his change in diet."

The word "abscess" scares me.

Latest posts

Back