Broody Hens

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When one of our hens began to brood this spring we found her some fertile eggs to set upon. She hatched them successfully and since they are nearly the same age as the store-bought chicks it is working out well. However, another hen began to brood and we didn't want to have more chicks of different breed and age. How to get her over the whole brooding thing??

An old time way is to put her in a wire cage, up off the ground so air circulates all around her--as opposed to her sitting in a warm nest. I did this for 2 days/nights, then released her and she ran out and joined the other hens in a normal manner.

I did have to block the nest at night for several nights so she would return to the roost. But now she is back to being a grasshopper-eating chicken again! Hopefully eggs will soon follow.

So, it's something to try with your broody hens. We have ours for entertainment, eggs and insect control, not for meat. The broody-thing is rather a nuisance!

Interestingly, she is a bully to the chicks. While she was brooding, life was quiet and everyone got along. Now she is back and everyone has to scatter!

I know what you mean with broody hens! LOL! I have 2 silkie crosses at home and the silkies are known for being broody.

When mine go broody, (they just started again yesterday, they always start when the weather gets bad
default_gaah.gif
)

I just lock them out of their hen house during the day and let them back in at night. It takes about 3 days to become normal again. The older they get the less time it takes to knock it out of them.

I just pull the out of the coop every morning when I'm feeding...It takes their mind off things. In the evening, if there's an egg I snatch it.

My girls are way too focused. I took her out twice a day and set her by the feed/water. Or took her out and put her in the pasture. Within 5 minutes she was back on the nest. I had to check under her, too, as she would move to whichever nest had an egg in it. But it's over, hopefully at least until next spring.

The buffs are the year old broody girls. The new chicks are the barred rocks. The black sex link and the striped game hen are the ones hatched by the buff. They are about 3 months old now.

www.cassphoto.com/buffs&chicks.jpg

www.cassphoto.com/chicks&buddy.jpg

Back