So what's new with everyone? I'd LOVE to hear some updates!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacks'thunder

Reaction score
Sense winter has pretty much let go of it's ugly grip on us whats been going on?

For me, a few things!

I got a job at a pet food/supply store a few days a week and I love it!

I got a new sewing machine but so far no time to sew! LOL!

I planted my garden in pots and so far every one is doing well! I have only planted tomato's and green peppers but it's better then nothing! I did plant my awesome "sink" find with marigolds, petunias, and ornamental strawberries. I think it looks pretty! lol! I lost a huge bunch of Ivy this spring. I'm thinking because our temps were sooo bad this winter they just could not take it. But it's coming back slowly.

I have a hen sitting on eggs! This is my first time trying to hatch them out my self! My son is so excited! I really hope something hatches! I had a lady contact me wondering if I wanted her 2 chicks. Of course I did!!! We went to pick them up and they were in a mobile home community! I asked her " so .. were you going to have chickens in the park?" she laughed and said no! Her in laws got them as Easter gifts for her kids with out thinking about where they would go once they got big. So the "Mc Doubles"(thats what my son named them) are here and happy. She just contacted me about 2 more her SIL has and they should be coming tomorrow. Same situation but she kept hers longer. Nothing like baby chicks! LOL! Thank goodness they were not ducks! Then I could not have helped them, I have no set up for ducks...

That's about it! How about you guys? Whats new?

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww, I love that the chicks have found a new forever home! And congrats on the new sewing machine….I hope you find some time to use it soon.

We are still trimming trees here on our farm and having new roofs put on three of the outbuildings this week. The work is never-ending. We got the mowing done and everything looked nice but will have to mow again soon. Our bathrooms are finished and now we are looking at the kitchen. It is in need of new countertops and we have wallpaper to remove and then would want to install breadboard and paint.

The grandkids want me to make them some headbands so I think I may start on those today. I really want to work with my beads so I am thinking of weaving some in here and there. They went through my buttons and picked out some for their headbands.

Meanwhile, I have two quilt tops pieced….one is machine quilted in the sashing and now I need to attach the binding and hand quilt the blocks…the other is waiting to be machine quilted.

I have read some real good books at night. Just finished A View to Die for by Richard Houston, it was good. I am reading Murder in the Dark by Steve Demaree, it is ok. And have Unbreakable, A Navy Seal's Way of Life by Thom Shea to read next.

Well, I have a whole list of things I WANT to get done... does that count?? It seems like spring got skipped over & we dove straight into summer and I'm falling farther & farther behind.

I created neck warmers for my geldings, I'm fairly new to sewing, so that was an interesting experience. I made my own pattern and everything. They turned out fairly well, sewing Velcro is NOT something I look forward to in the future though. Next up are better versions of the neck warmers along with matching blankets, fly sheets, and a couple costumes for parades. If I ever get time to see my sewing machine again that is.

Got the yard cleaned up, last fall we moved my grandparents into assisted living (at 92 & 86 they just couldn't manage on their own anymore) and I couldn't leave my Grandma's plants. That's one thing I always remember about her, her flowers and gardens. I transplanted Lily of the Valley, Bleeding Hearts, a Rosebush, and a couple Peonies..... in November.... in Nebraska. They were putting the house up for sale so it was either take them or leave them, so I thought I'd try. We put them in the garden with some straw over them and had a hard freeze shortly after. I really didn't think we'd see anything this spring but they are all BEAUTIFUL! I called Grandma and told her, and she started crying and told me that the Lily of the Valley have a story. They were her wedding flower, she brought some to the farm from her grandmother when she got married. When they moved to town, she brought some with her. The fact that I took some with me unknowingly is just.... wow. Awesome. So everything is still in the garden which means we had to cut our crops in half. No big deal, still have cucumbers, zucchini, & strawberries so I'm happy!

Oh, I made a biscuit quilt for my new niece in March. It was the third one I have done, and turned out (my opinion) fabulous! I love YouTube, I managed a denim ruffle all the way around it and it is super cute. I have 3 more to make this summer yet. Hopefully I get some good time to work on them. 2 need to be done by the end of July, ugh.

I really haven't read much lately. That alone makes me sad. I think I need to start a list and just start chugging away. My problem with reading is once I start, I have to finish it. A lot of sleepless nights have been spent trying to get to the next chapter, then the next, then the next....!

Ok, and the to-do list for the summer (yikes, only 2 months left!) are to build mini jumps, an obstacle course, earn some $ for a new cart, go air boating, hit some shows, help the lady I board with clean out 4 huge barns full of antiques, junk, & horse/donkey/pony items, then prepare for winter again.

It's supposed to storm pretty bad here today, tornados & hail. I'm thinking tonight is a good night to sit in the basement & start piecing the quilts. Stay safe everyone in the storm's path!

Our yard is mowed, will need it again soon, the grass seems to grow like weeds here. lol I'm working on hand quilting a large lap quilt that I sneak in during the hot afternoons and at night I cross stitch some quilt squares that I've had forever. Don't read as much, mostly during my lunch breaks at work, nothing notable, just freebies on my kindle. Bought Seven a new halter, an extra large mini, down from the pony one he was wearing, the diet worked. I've gotten one row turned over for my garden, now to decide what to put in it. Several flower gardens are done, one more needs more mulch around the plants and I've started a new one that needs fill and plants. Now the temps are getting way too hot and storms are in the forecast for today. Some areas are getting tornadoes but not us so far.

Poniesrule: Did you try adjusting the tension when you sewed your Velcro on? And use a Universal or Denim weight needle. Otherwise you get the loopy/knotted up stuff. I don't find I have much trouble with Velcro anymore.

Well, since my foot/ankle are better (never be 100% again) I can get out and feed and water the horses for husband. That was always my job anyway (except winter-water was his). Uneven ground is a bit difficult to negotiate and I can't "jog" at all. I think my goals for the summer will be to work with my Mom's horse on Halter Obstacle to refine some things and to work with our one gray gelding on it to have him to do it with too. Plus, teach them all to trot while I walk.

I have been looking for a new job now-but not much luck so far. I have basically done nothing but food service/cake decorating all my life. Not enough computer skills for office. Plus, I HATE and am almost Terrified of winter driving-so it has to be as close as possible to home or on the route to my husband's job so he can drop me off and pick me up. Part of me likes not working for someone else so I am not responsible to their timing. I tried working from home once taking in sewing and mending; but I am not the kind of seamstress who can tolerate alterations and I get tired of sewing sometimes and have to put it up for days. Also, it DOES get lonely at home sometimes. I guess I am somewhat lazy and just don't keep myself busy enough. Granted there is stuff to do. Like now, I have a list of each room in the house and what I want to do to spring clean it (summer clean now!). And then there's the horses training. But-here I sit. I like company when I'm out with the horses. I actually do better when my Mom's here working with her little guy. I hate the hot hot weather and don't go out then. Same with winter. So, that doesn't leave me much, does it? TSK! TSK! I think being forced to sit around all last fall and winter with my ankle really socked the motivation out of me. My mind wants to get up and get out, but I think my body is SO out of the habit! I sure don't have a lot of strength and energy now I have found. Going to have to build it up. There's a stationary bike up in the barn loft in good shape. I want H to bring it down, dust it off and haul it to the house. He will have to put up with looking at it in the livingroom, because it will take being able to watch TV or a movie for me to get in the habit of riding it. It's a start too!

I barely survived winter, now have a huge job cleaning up the yard (piles of hay left from bottom of round bales and such)--I bought a new mower but haven't used it yet--my garden is all planted and the stuff planted earliest is up, rest should be up soon...I ran out of room (small garden spot--I let the far end go back to grass as the soil there was quite poor) so have to put the tomatoes in pots in the yard...have to buy more pots...

I have a show in 4 1/2 weeks, did plan to show 5 ponies but now it will be 4, or maybe 3--I just cannot cope with getting 5 ready this year--not when spring was so crappy and I got such a late start on everything. Once I am at the show I will likely be bored with just 3 or 4 --when i am used to showing 5 or 6, 3 seems like i have nothing to do at the show!!! --but can't be helped.

Then have to work on a half dozen ponies and minis and get them driving nicely...and by them it will be winter again.
default_sad.png

Lots of updates here! Finally got all moved in to the new farm, the "barn" fitted for the minis, and the front on my "shed". Haven't sold the old house yet.

Fell out of the attic and cracked my heel. Trip to the VA ER. 6 weeks of pain and limited mobility.

got the boot off last week.

Then, last nite while the Vet was here giving shots, got my left hand slammed into the fence and cut pretty bad. Another trip to the VA ER. Some tendon damage and a big ole tear. I'm a lefty! So now 2 more weeks of pain and limited use. Then I don't know how much dexterity I'll have.

Other than that, I am happy, the girls are happy, and getting fat!

00b.jpg

b p area may 2014 (4).JPG

wtf.JPG

002.jpg

005.jpg

Lots of things to do outdoors! I cleaned my little horse barn this morning. Spring cleaning, but it's almost too late to call it that! Such a good feeling to tidy it all up and vacuum the spiders out. Even cleaned the window.

Two crape myrtles that I thought were not going to come back after the cold winter are now sending up shy stems. They are a dwarf weeping variety and look so pretty in the flower bed.

Espaliered fruit trees came through the winter great, but a late cold snap zapped all the fruit except a few cherries and peaches. I'm just happy the trees survived.

Found a wee baby turtle in the driveway and I brought him into the house. Got him little earthworms, carrot, chard, jerky bits. Even bought a can of reptile food. I'm not sure he is eating. But he is a feisty little creature, so maybe he is eating enough. He is about the size of a half dollar. I'll release him eventually, but he is so cute I want to watch him for a while. He is a red eared slider. We read that 90% of baby turtles are eaten by predators, so he is better off in my kitchen than in the wild.

Trying to keep the weight down on my horses

Oh my gosh! Such great updates! I so hope to sew soon! I love love love the family Lilly of the valley flower, what a great story. I have an Iris that came from my hubby's great grand parents home, she's an oldie! Great pictures candycar, nice house and barn!

Marsha, I love turtles! They are so fun to watch! Right now we have a yellow bellied cooter, a diamond back terrapin, and a razorbacked musk! I did have I did have a red eared slider from a tiny baby, little bigger then a silver dollar when I had gotten him. Very neat
default_yes.gif

Nice to hear from everyone!
default_thumbup.gif

I have been so crazy busy this spring. Of course like everyone, because the winter was sooo long, cold, etc, our spring was late…and wet!!! Now we are dried out enough to do things. Trying to get the lawn kept up, trimmed, flower beds done, etc, etc, etc. Doesn't leave much time especially with running a business, having a part time job, and all the critters to look after as well. Right now, I'm trying to get the big horses 'spruced' up, tack cleaned and fitted properly, so I can get back riding, now that it's not raining every other day.

I had these little ones arrive on Monday! Which always brings it's own excitement (and exhaustion!!!!!)!
default_biggrin.png

graciepups.jpg

~kathryn

Mostly, same ol', same ol' around here. Just finished up with branding all the calves; the biggest share of the herd are already out to their summer pasture, the small group is heading out right now (we had rain, so Shayne is taking them across the boggy crossing with the 4-wheeler, and I have to go catch up on the other side); replacement heifers are out to pasture here at home for two weeks, then they'll get moved to a bigger pasture; bulls will go out in a couple weeks; I've got most of the minis out for some pasture time every day; Friday is a quilt retreat that I'll be taking supplies to to sell. I need to mow the lawn again, but it's been raining, so too wet to mow. Found a new farrier, finally, meeting him and trying him next Wednesday is our first appointment; he'll do the saddle horses for sure, and maybe the minis that have some issues and see if we can get them back on track. [Lost my last farrier 18 months ago, so I've been on my own. I can't get the nippers through the saddle horses' hooves, so need help there. Not sure what I'm missing iwht the minis with issues, so will be good to get a second opinion and get them going in the right direction again.]

Got my 52 yr old son,who lives nearby,through his 2nd round of brain surgeryPrevious surgery was Jan 8 and kidney removal in March.Stage 4 lung cancer is serious.He go rid of NEGATIVE NELLIE doc on Monday and got 1 with a positive attitude like he has.Took him for 3 appointments today.Chemo next week and then more radiation.We are sprucing up things around here now that warm weather is here.Karl cut down giant holly trees today that were blocking AC unit.Now I need to get on the ladder to wash the kitchen windows.I think I can do it since my knees and back are finally improving.I am enrolled in a Healthy Back program through an area hospital(to avoid surgery,injections and drugs.)IT IS WORKING.Turns out my knee problems were due to bad back.I am so excited.I am also taking lots of my Mini stuff accumulated over 20+years to shows to sell it.another big load goes July 4th weekend.I really have no use for it anymore after going from almost 40 Minis down to 3 old girls and 1 old gelding Here at this farm it is just old horses,old dogs and 2 old people.Love hearing what is going on with everyone.

I just got married
default_smile.png
AND, as soon as I get the marriage license back I'll be applying to school for the fall to get my teaching degree. So, hopefully everything works out there...Jeff (the husband, which is just too strange to say just yet) only has a semester left to get his masters so I'm excited to move on to bigger and better things. Great to read through this thread! I don't get on here as often as I used to and miss things now.

Had such a nice day! Husband and I went with my son and his fiance and her two children and her SIL and her two kids to the air show! I had never been and it was so neat. It must be so exilerating and free feeling (if you are that kind of brave and skilled) to fly those planes like that! The acrobatics were outstanding and breathtaking and the United States Thunderbirds were awesome. My son actually bought the parking pass and then bought my lunch along with theirs. So we are even, because he was out of money and the little guy wanted a souvenir; so I bought him the little car he wanted (over a plane) and surprised his sister (she'll be 12) with a t-shirt. It was nice. I think I am going to suggest we all go to the mini golf park soon. It also has go-carts, batting and soccer cages, and game and snack room. That would be a good place to go with the kids and for us too.

I just got married
default_smile.png
AND, as soon as I get the marriage license back I'll be applying to school for the fall to get my teaching degree. So, hopefully everything works out there...Jeff (the husband, which is just too strange to say just yet) only has a semester left to get his masters so I'm excited to move on to bigger and better things. Great to read through this thread! I don't get on here as often as I used to and miss things now.
Best wishes to you and congratulations to your new husband! It IS odd, having a husband, isn't it? When I was first married 43 years ago I thought if I took my ring off I wouldn't be married!

In less than a year, I got a rash under the ring and haven't worn it since.

Been breeding and selling baby chicks and hatching eggs like crazy.

Iris flower field in full bloom and drooling over that.

Fixing fences and barns

Rebuilt my chicken run

Working full time and been super booked on farrier work since February none stop

And now hay season

Lol

Well I just got those baby chicks that are the "Mc Doubles" sisters. They are about half of the size of the 2 girls I have.
default_sad.png
The girl brought them out to me was saying that she kept them in a box in the garage and she was feeding them fruit and bread
default_new_shocked.gif
! I'm happy they are here and I'm sure they are happy to eat actual food! I'll see if I can get a picture of the sisters next to each other. What a difference....

And look at this guy we found on the corn planter this morning!

2014-06-10_07-16-56_353.jpg

2014-06-10_07-06-06_608.jpg

2014-06-10_07-06-35_796.jpg

It has been a weird season this spring. It got hot for a few days then frosted. My birds are just now molting and have had a late season hatching eggs. Hubby got me an incubator to speed the process along. My poor peacocks have already finished the season and dropped their tails so we only got a few chicks out of them. I keep finding lunar moths in their flight cage and I try to rescue them before they get eaten. My goose was sitting on a clutch of 19 eggs and only two hatched (all were fertilized) It got too cold and they died. Finally got the garden in (better late than never) will be finished planting corn today. Had to wait to mow the rye off of the fields. This bad winter screwed us, on what literally made 1500 bales we got 183. Makes me wanna puke. Had a virus go thru calf barn and lost 10 calves. Vet says everyone is losing some this year but its so heartbreaking. Horses are doing well, foals are coming along nicely, learning ground manners and to lead and we're getting some mares bred back for next year. Making progress on the barn renovation but its slow going. Got a neighbor to help mow and weedwhack the barn yard as it seems to get away from me so fast. I wish the hay fields grew like my lawn. Hubby got his new round baler so now he thinks he is king **** haying everything in sight, its so cute and good to see him excited about something. Maybe second and third cutting will come in nicer this year since he got first off early. Im now working on robbing all of the old gates out of the old heifer barn (now used for hay storage) to make a round pen for my new stud until I can afford to buy him a nice one, I just like mine to get turnout.20140606_134214.jpg20140505_110336.jpg20140512_112148.jpg

Is that a fresh sphinx moth?

Love your iris and plantings in the background.
After doing my research this morning I pretty positive it is a Polyphemus moth (Antheraea polyphemus) They only fly at night and they only live as a moth for 4 days. That's kinda sad, but I feel pretty blessed I had a chance to see him alive.

Thank you for noticing my Iris plants! They look really nice right now, I have to see if I can get some pictures!

Latest posts

Back