Broodmares: How Old is Too Old??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacquee'

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of "window shopping" on websites recently. I saw a truly gorgeous 18 year old leopard appaloosa mare on someone's site, and I really like her a lot. She is bred and due this spring. She is not listed for sale, but for a moment I considered calling the owner and making an offer on her...... and then I thought, "Is she too old? Would this be her final foal?"

So that is my question: How old is "too" old for a mare to safely have a foal? At what age do most of you normally retire a mare, and just let her live out her days? Of course I have heard some amazing stories of mares who were nearly 30 having a foal safely, but what I am interested in is what would be considered NORMALLY safe.

I know some of you are very experienced in this and I am very interested to learn more about this. Thanks a lot!
default_yes.gif
:

[SIZE=14pt]AS long as the mares are producing and loving it then let them. They will tell you when it is enough. I had two arab mares having foals into the late 20s. Bruce has a 29 year old mare that looks like she is 10 and she is in foal.[/SIZE]

If the mare is in good shape at 18 I would not hesitate to buy her... but make sure she hasnt been open for several years....they can get custic ovaries and produce cysts in their uterus that would prevent a pregnancy .

Lyn

I have producing mares that old but there is NO way I would consider selling them, and, if I did, it would not be as "producing" mares. As humans mares have only so many eggs, once these are gone all the will in the world will not produce another foal. I consider my over 15 year olds as nearing the end of their breeding lives. If they go on into their twenties, well and good, I never count on it. I gave a mare away a few years back who went to the very best of homes possible, and went to keep company a colt. This mare had finished breeding and was prone to founder. The home was very knowledgeable, and understood that, when she reached the end of her life, she would be sent away with dignity, before pain started.

Ho!! What her?? That ratbag has had a foal EVERY year for these people (God bless them!!) and a pretty darn good one at that!! She is now 28 and packed up breeding for me at 18, jump started again and had her last foal two years ago!! Never say never, and NEVER pay more than you can afford!!

I bought an 18 yo mare who was open but had a yearling filly on site. I liked her breeding and her so I figured if I could get a couple of foals out of her she'd pay for herself. She gave me a cute colt last year and is preggers again for this year. She's a wonderful mother and I just love her. So don't count the older ones out! I'm hoping she'll be good for a few more years yet and then I'll retire her......she'll let me know when.

I agree with both Lyn and Jane (Rabbit). Much depends on the mare and how well she's been cared for. An 18 year old broodmare could still produce well into her 20's or she could be deciding to slow down or retire completely. You just never know.

We have a few mares that are getting closer to age 20 and if we sell them, they would have to go to very special homes....to people who are willing to accept that the mare may be getting close to retirement and are willing to provide for her anyway. Personally, I am more apt to keep the older mare(s) and just let them live out their lives in an environment they are used to....letting them become Nannys to the young ones. So much depends on the individual horse.

Don't be surprised if the owners of that 18 year old appy mare plans on keeping her forever.

MA

I bred one of my mares at 22 years old and she foaled a beautiful black colt who is mature at 29 1/2". I retired her after that and she passed away at 28 years old. God Bless you Delight.

Joyce

I agree with what's been said. I was going to come into the thread and say 'this is a trick question, isn't it?' (I realized that you were serious though, and was also going to add:)

Mares, like people (egg issues aside) vary to a great degree. Some will be 'too old' at 15 to have more foals, and even if the CAN conceive, they may get too run down during pregnancy, or nursing to make it healthy for them to continue. If a mare can conceive, and doens't get dragged down from it, there's no reason she can't, or shouldn't be allowed to continue. I have a 20 year old, that I bought at 18, she produced a foal that year, skipped last year, and looks to be bred for this year... so we'll see. She's healthy, she's happy, and if she is pregnant, that's great... if she never has another foal for the rest of her crotchety old life, that's fine with me too, she can be the pasture grandma. We love her anyway.

Thanks for your answers, guys - this has helped me to see the issue in perspective.

I don't know if I will call and make an offer on the mare, I have to think about it.

In all honesty, ANY mare at ANY time can become not able to breed. She may get an infection, for example, or she may have complications in a delivery. I do have one mare that I bought knowing full well I may never get a foal from her, and that is a risk that one takes at any time. There are many reasons why we have these little horses in our lives, and it does not always have to do with getting foals from them.

Thanks again for your thoughtful answers.

Jacquee remember that she is not listed for sale and I do like that.
default_yes.gif
:

I like the idea that people keep their older horses to live out their days after having served them well. :aktion033:

Our two oldest had their last foals at 22 last year. Both would have bred back and showed very active heats to stallions.

Lady we didn't breed for 2005, (she's had 16 foals) and has her 2005 filly with her still. Swan is her first filly in ten years - so it's been a wait!

The other mare, Tina (14 foals) has a sister that had her last foal at 29. We have retained two of her daughters as well.

We're not breeding this year, and have decided to retire our four oldest mares (19-23 years old) and our original 20 yr old stallion. They've contributed enough (IMHO), and I have enough of their daughters, grand-daughters and greats to continue their lines.

What I've observed with a couple of our older mares is they are still fertile and probably could successfully carry a foal without a problem, but the last few months they seem a bit slower than normal and don't bounce back as quickly from the foaling. Keeping up with an active foal and maintaining their own weight/health can be harder too. It's not impossible, but much more care and consideration needs to be given throughout their pregnancy.

Personally if you really like a mare (regardless of age), if she has a solid track record on breeding/foaling - easily, no intervention (meds, etc.), and is physically sound, then I would consider buying her. There are no guarantees - I've bought young mares (under 10) that I've had more trouble getting in foal than the older ones and a few that I've sold as 'problem or barren mares'. Some people are willing to spend the time and energy to get and maintain their pregnancies and have successfully foaled them out.

It depends on your personal goals and interests really.

What I've observed with a couple of our older mares is they are still fertile and probably could successfully carry a foal without a problem, but the last few months they seem a bit slower than normal and don't bounce back as quickly from the foaling. Keeping up with an active foal and maintaining their own weight/health can be harder too. It's not impossible, but much more care and consideration needs to be given throughout their pregnancy.

Very true. Older mares need special care when pregnant and nursing (and even when they are not, for optimal health, IMO). That said, I have a 22 year old mare that I got two years ago, she was in foal and had a healthy foal and did so well that I bred her back for one last baby, which she is now a couple of months from having.
default_smile.png
She settled on ONE cover. She could probably have more after this, even, as she is extremely healthy, but for my own peace of mind she will be retired and get to "hang out" for the rest of her days. She is the dam to my "AMayZing" and for that fact alone she deserves a retirement home with us.
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back