broken pelvis in dwarf mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PondlakeMinis

Reaction score
I had the vet out last night for my 5 year old dwarf mini, Classy Lady. she wasn't putting any weight on her right hind leg, not eating, very depressed and had lost a good deal of weight (all this in 12 hours). Somehow she broke her pelvis. no signs of being kicked by another horse. she may have done it the morning before as she had been a little colicky and had been rolling. a dose of banamine had helped her at that time.

I now have her on stall rest, banamine twice a day and gastrogard to prevent an ulcer. Has anyone had a mini with a broken pelvis. how long did it take to heal and how are they doing now.

Classy Lady is doing better today on the banamine. more alert and eating.

Cyndia

I don't have any experience with horses with broken pelvis's. Just wanted to add my prayers for her recovery.
default_pray.gif
:pray

I don't have any answers, but sure hope she will be ok.

Barbie

I don't have experience with a mini but my 16hh QH broke his pelvis. We had him on stall rest for 3 months then large turn out 24/7 to allow him to exercise when he wanted. He did great for about a year and was even bucking and kicking up his back legs. We had a late snow storm that left ice on the ground and he must have slipped and rebroke it. We opted to let him go since he had all ready been through so much. He was in a lot of pain and when we gave the last injection he went right away. He was ready to go.

Hope your little one can heal. Since she is a dwarf....not sure but it might be harder for her to heal correctly.

I have a friend that had a vary old pony mare ( like in her late teens, early 20's) that broke her pelvis. She always ambulated ok, but was never right. One of her legs had a lot of atrophy from not putting as much weight on it as the other. However, she got out and bred to a QH stallion, actually they both went through fences to get to each other. She foaled a lovely quarter pony the following year., and for several years afterward. Even with the gimp, she had no problems with arthritis, or foaling and lived a long healthy life.

Good luck with yours. I only mention the mare foaling ( as I know you are not breeding yours) because a broken hip is not a death sentance. Some would automatically put them down, thinking they would be useless. Minimule, I am so glad you gave yours a chance, and you had an additional year with your guy.

Several years ago we had a pregnant mini mare break her hip. No marks, no idea how it happened. She was confined in a stall for at least a month. She healed fine, delivered with no problem. One hip is slightly higher than the other. No hindrance to her at all. A few years down the road, she has no problem being bred or carrying the foal to term. The vet said her hip would heal as strong as ever and it has.

We haven't had any pelvic issues with the Minis, but did have broken pelvis in two of our full size horses. The first was a young mare; we don't know what happened to her but assume that she slipped on some ice, as it was winter time. She was put on stall rest for 6 weeks and after that was able to be out as normal. She did okay, but was never 100% sound afterwards. She was comfortable & had no major problems because of it, but she was never quite sound again. The 2nd case was a gelding; for whatever reason he wallowed into a very deep snow bank one day--I saw him walk into it, and it must have been just a silly whim of his to go into that deep snow because there sure was no reason for it--then he got into the snow bank and had some trouble getting out. I was about to go & get a shovel to shovel him out when he got turned around & floundered out. We assume that is where his trouble started--he wasn't dead lame right away, but seemed a bit off--and just got worse. He was on stall rest for 6 weeks and at the end of that time it was very very muddy (spring)--we didn't dare let him out in the mud, and so he stayed in at least 2 weeks longer. By then he was doing very well, and was pretty good all summer. The following winter, though, he was very stiff & sore--arthritis had set in, and the cold weather aggravated it. He did better again the following summer, but the next winter when he got so sore again we had him put to rest. It was the best thing for him.

Cyndia,

I am so sorry that little Lady is having to go through this.

Somewhere I read that the bones of dwarves are much more suceptible to breaks then the regular minis.

She is in good hands and I know that you will do everything possible for her.

Lots of LOVE, HUGS, AND PRAYERS for Classy Lady from all of us, especially from Buddy and Treasure!!

Latest posts

Back