Brittle mane and tail

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorClementine

Reaction score
After the winter Major's mane and tail are so brittle and dry. What can I do to bring back that healthy soft shine? I'd rather not use MTG (hate the stuff). But I don't know if I should do a hot oil on his tail and braid it or what to do with his mane. His mane is really thick and I don't pull it ever. What do you guys do and what brands of product do you use? Supplements also?

This is what I have been doing lately and I've been really pleased with the results. I soak in olive oil for at least a half hour, sometimes I use a few drops tea tree or lavendar oil for skin issues (both are antiseptic and will kill any rain rot/dandruff issues etc.) Then I wash it out and condition it with cheap creme rinse from the dollar store (I usually buy what smells best and is for dry hair) then repeat a few days later until the hair starts to feel good. It will also help work out the knots.

After the tail is clean and conditioned, I like to use Vetrolin Shine, especially on show days. That stuff is awesome! Plus it has sunscreen in addition to keeping the hair nice and tangle free.

Tea tree oil is suppose to be wonderful. Many gypsy vanner owners swear by it, and if you are familiar with the breed, you know they are suppose to have a stocky build and have TONS of hair. MTG works well to sooth and condition the skin, but you're right about not liking to use it ( smells awful IMHO ).

Hot oil is probably another great way to go, but have also heard of using olive oil too. Have you considered either feeding a feed that has extra omegas in it or putting oil high in omegas in the feed ( or a supplement) to treat from the inside out?

The purina senior equine feeds add a great shine to the coat, but purina also sells just the "amplify nuggets" which is a supplement that contains vegetable oils, rice bran and flax seed in a low sugar low starch base. Can be used as a weight gain formula or to help enhance Coat, hooves and muscles. A little calorie dense in my opinion,however, it is a supplement, but I do like the senior feeds even for horses that don't have trouble chewing or keeping weight on, I just don't feed them as much since they get hay too.

I swear by this product. Ive been using it on my manes and tails for the past 6 months. Its wonderful!

http://s.ecrater.com...2ba_189537n.jpg

I buy it at walmart, mix it with a bottle of biolage conditioner and let it sit for a few minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quic Condition II spray - from the same company that makes Quic Silver whitening shampoo. . . have been using it all winter, it says use daily, I only use about twice a week, but it keeps manes and tails cleaner, softer, and tangle free!

I love M-T-G but I also couldn't live without Canter Silk Mane and Tail Conditioner. Not cheap but it's an awesome product and makes even rough manes and tails feel like silk. I also use Omega Horseshine supplement and people are always commenting on the shine on my horses.

Looks like everyone has their own proven solution that they love. Which gives me several wonderful options to try
default_smile.png
Thanks guys. It's making me batty because even when I put conditioner spray in his tail to brush it out (with a tail brush not a curry) I still get a ton of breakage. He had such a pretty tail last summer. Thanks for all the ideas.

I use coconut oil (virgin). It really moisturizes dry manes and tails. My horses tails have never looked better and they are so soft and not course, almost like human hair.

I think something is going on to change the hair and it is not going to get a quick fix with topical products. It must be something in the feed. Have you changed anything? How about hooves? Any change there? Whatever affects the hair could show up in the hooves also. Is he stressed?

Mine have a weight problem but I hate to take away their 1/4 c boss. I really think that oil is necessary.

Maybe you have been trying too many different things, just like we do sometimes! Braiding is a good thing to try.

I agree make sure they get all the necessary nutrition.

I try to go for show sheen products that have a leave-in conditioner. The other show sheens if used too much can really damage the mane and tail. I wash everyone with eZall. I started that last year and used it all show season. You can also wash the horse more frequently with eZall without damaging their coat. I also use the eZall Tail & Mane Treatment, I started that this year and like it a whole lot more then their shine and detangler because it made their hair real oily and you really had to rinse it out to avoid that. Then I spray them down with their Show-N-Go shine & conditioner and I also use Cowboy Magic for an added touch.

Other products I've used in the past and was very happy with and will go back to if for some reason can't use eZall is Jeffers shampoos. Really makes their hair soft, shiny and smells really good.

I agree make sure they get all the necessary nutrition.

I try to go for show sheen products that have a leave-in conditioner. The other show sheens if used too much can really damage the mane and tail. I wash everyone with eZall. I started that last year and used it all show season. You can also wash the horse more frequently with eZall without damaging their coat. I also use the eZall Tail & Mane Treatment, I started that this year and like it a whole lot more then their shine and detangler because it made their hair real oily and you really had to rinse it out to avoid that. Then I spray them down with their Show-N-Go shine & conditioner and I also use Cowboy Magic for an added touch.

Other products I've used in the past and was very happy with and will go back to if for some reason can't use eZall is Jeffers shampoos. Really makes their hair soft, shiny and smells really good.
I like the Jeffers shampoos too, they're really nice
default_smile.png
and I just started using Ezall on my dogs (who are filthy most of the time and need a bath nearly every day when we've had rain, one of them wallows in the mud!) and I really like it so far. My house no longer smells like mud each evening! I was going to try it on the horses but I've been using it on the dogs too much and ran out before I could try it. I just bought more so baths for everybody is on the agenda this weekend...if we don't get more rain!

Latest posts

Back