Bring a horse to permanent...making sure I understand...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

little lady

Reaction score
Every horse turns another year older as of January 1st so when a horse turns 3 they can be brought to permanent in both AMHA and AMHR. I know they need to be measured, is it better to wait until they shed out to get a more accurate measurement?

I may be wrong, it has been awhile, but I am pretty sure it is by the 3rd birthday, not the calendar year for minis in the A&R reg.. As for measuring, I honestly don't think that the fluff from a winter coat will make a measurable difference in their height. Regardless of summer or winter coat, a properly set up horse with a hoof in good trimmed condition and placing the horizontal arm on a measuring stick level and firmly in place (no excessive force, just firmly in place at the base of the mane) will dictate a more accurate measurement than concerning yourself with the winter coat.

I believe you have a 3 to 6 month leeway from their actual birthday. To make it easier for me I take them to a show and have the steward measure them. With a new hoof trim and slick coat and a person who does it a lot, it's just easier, IMO.

I believe you have a 3 to 6 month leeway from their actual birthday. To make it easier for me I take them to a show and have the steward measure them. With a new hoof trim and slick coat and a person who does it a lot, it's just easier, IMO.
Y'ep, your right, it is done by the birth date, not January 1st, and you have 6 months to get it into them.

In AMHR you have until Dec 31st of the 3 year old year --so not necessarily 6 months after the birthday--might be 10 months for a February birthday and 2 months for an October

Birthday

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am going to wait till spring then.
default_yes.gif

Back