Bridleless bit

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

Abby P

Reaction score
Just thought I'd post a pic, finally got to try out the bridleless bit I got from Sweet Billy's. It's a leather bit and just has a curb strap to keep it on the horse. He did manage to spit it out right after I took this pic so obviously I need to tighten it a hole but it's pretty neat! I long-lined him in it today just for a few minutes, he seemed less stiff in his neck with it. Obviously unless I can ensure it will stay on him, it's an arena-only toy for the time being! 🙃

C60A7AFD-C5B6-4A7B-8229-7FF4199D39E2.jpeg

Dragon Hill

Reaction score
Cool. Let us know as you figure it out. I have a riding mare I'm thinking about trying one on. She's not happy with anything I've tried, bits, bitless, hackamore.

Abby P

Reaction score
Ha ha, not sure I'd ever hitch him to the cart with it - my plan was to use it for long-lining, MAYBE trail ground driving if I can be 100% sure he can't spit it out again. 🤣 I do have a leather bit for his driving bridle and he does seem to go better in that than in a metal bit (it molds to the shape of the mouth after a few uses). But I can't be sure that's not just him settling about the bit in other ways.

MerMaeve

Reaction score
Could you put it on a (Western style if he needs less of a bridle?) bridle to keep it on better?

Abby P

Reaction score
Hmm...maybe? The rings aren't really positioned right (I think the mouthpiece might twist weirdly with a headstall on it). If it keeps falling off I'll just chalk it up as a noble experiment and use my regular bridle! This was my first go with it and it definitely needs to break in some, so I'll give it a few more tries and fiddle with the adjustments (the rings move and there are lots of adjustment holes). It took at least 4-5 good sessions for the other leather bit to mold to shape. I wish I'd known about leather bits when I had my old Arab - he probably would have loved one!

Latest posts