Bridleless bit

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abby P

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
Just thought I'd post a pic, finally got to try out the bridleless bit I got from Sweet Billy's. It's a leather bit and just has a curb strap to keep it on the horse. He did manage to spit it out right after I took this pic so obviously I need to tighten it a hole but it's pretty neat! I long-lined him in it today just for a few minutes, he seemed less stiff in his neck with it. Obviously unless I can ensure it will stay on him, it's an arena-only toy for the time being! 🙃

C60A7AFD-C5B6-4A7B-8229-7FF4199D39E2.jpeg

Cool. Let us know as you figure it out. I have a riding mare I'm thinking about trying one on. She's not happy with anything I've tried, bits, bitless, hackamore.

Ha ha, not sure I'd ever hitch him to the cart with it - my plan was to use it for long-lining, MAYBE trail ground driving if I can be 100% sure he can't spit it out again. 🤣 I do have a leather bit for his driving bridle and he does seem to go better in that than in a metal bit (it molds to the shape of the mouth after a few uses). But I can't be sure that's not just him settling about the bit in other ways.

Could you put it on a (Western style if he needs less of a bridle?) bridle to keep it on better?

Hmm...maybe? The rings aren't really positioned right (I think the mouthpiece might twist weirdly with a headstall on it). If it keeps falling off I'll just chalk it up as a noble experiment and use my regular bridle! This was my first go with it and it definitely needs to break in some, so I'll give it a few more tries and fiddle with the adjustments (the rings move and there are lots of adjustment holes). It took at least 4-5 good sessions for the other leather bit to mold to shape. I wish I'd known about leather bits when I had my old Arab - he probably would have loved one!

Latest posts

Back