Bridle Paths

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3bays

Reaction score
What is the correct length to clip a bridle path? Not intending to show, but I do like to show him off at his best.
default_smile.png
In Standardbreds, we hold the ear back and clip the ear length back. Is this the same rule of thumb for ponies?

[i was told you let the mane hang down naturally when the horses head is in a halter class set, then note the spot where hte mane touches hte horses shoulder. Follow that part of the mane up to the top of the neck and that is the farthest to clip the bridle path. This leaves the neck mostly exposed so the judge can see the quality and shape of the horses neck. This is pretty much what I do.

Yes the old 'general rule' is the length of the ear.... however, it depends on the breed, and the horse... I would clip the ear length, then stand back and see what you think- then take an inch of mane and pull it to the other side to make it appear 'gone' and see what you think.... you can kind of decide by continuing to do that what looks best for that particular horse before you shave too much off, LOL

The clip should accent whether you need the neck to look longer, thinner, etc....

It totally depends on the aesthetic you are going for. In "hairy breeds" like Andalusians and Friesians, people don't even do bridle paths for the most part. The majority of horses have their bridle path lengths as you've described. Refined breeds like Arabians (and minis, which try to be as refined as possible to make them proportionally more like their bigger horses) have longer bridle paths to show off their necks.

If you're not showing, clip them however you want to!

Andrea

I just do as mentioned previous, the length of the ear. I just need enough for the halter to sit comfortably.

weerunner said:
I was told you let the mane hang down naturally when the horses head is in a halter class set, then note the spot where hte mane touches hte horses shoulder. Follow that part of the mane up to the top of the neck and that is the farthest to clip the bridle path. This leaves the neck mostly exposed so the judge can see the quality and shape of the horses neck.
It drives me insane that any licensed judge supposedly cannot see the "quality and shape of the horse's neck" through a reasonable mane. What kind of judges are they??
default_wacko.png
You'd think they could get a good view of the neck by looking at the other side of the horse, just like any other person.
default_rolleyes.gif

I cut the bridle path differently for each horse depending on the shape of their neck and whether or not they are showing halter. My preference would definitely be closer to the traditional ear-length guideline however as I've always been a fan of the "hairy breeds."
default_laugh.png

Leia

I agree with Leia- do the judges need glasses?

A bridle space should be just that- a space cut to take the bridle/ halter, not much more.

I remember getting thoroughly told off by a judge a few years back because the clippers slipped and took off a bit too much (no more than one plait width, though), so I guess judges have changed a lot, but they still do not need a beautiful mane reduced to a few hairs so that they can see a shoulder!

There are two sides to a horse, anyway, they want a better look, all they have to do is walk round the horse.

I take the ear and bend it back (then I apply Anica and a band aid, apologise to the horse, etc.....) add a tiny bit, maybe, and that's it.

Also, it pays to remember that you can always take a wee bit more off, but, even with superglue, you cannot put it back on.
default_wink.png

I agree, ear length is all that is needed, but have done further, but went back to the old ways. Less is best, yes they do have another side.

Hey, its just hair. If you dont like it, it'll grow back.
default_biggrin.png

It drives me insane that any licensed judge supposedly cannot see the "quality and shape of the horse's neck" through a reasonable mane. What kind of judges are they??
default_wacko.png
You'd think they could get a good view of the neck by looking at the other side of the horse, just like any other person.
default_rolleyes.gif

I cut the bridle path differently for each horse depending on the shape of their neck and whether or not they are showing halter. My preference would definitely be closer to the traditional ear-length guideline however as I've always been a fan of the "hairy breeds."
default_laugh.png

Leia
Leia... it's not that the judges can't see the horses' necks. In lots of classes, particularly at Nationals when there can be 60+ horses... you don't want to do anything that is going to hide your horse from any angle, from any distance. Of course the judge looks closely, but maybe only once. You want the judge to be able to see your horse quickly and easily even if you are a couple rows away... he may be comparing your horse to another one across the ring and if you've got a ton of mane hiding your horse from the judge's point of view at the time you are not showing your horse to its best advantage. Showing your horse at all times to its best advantage is why people do a lot of things they do.

Andrea

default_wink.png
I didn't say I don't play by the rules or understand the reasoning, just that I think it's silly. There's a big difference between "a lot of mane" and the three strands that some people seem to think are too much for a halter horse. Especially when the show rules state they should show "with a natural mane!"
default_laugh.png
I've always found it funny that we can't roach it, but we can pull it, undercut it, and reduce it to a tiny triangle in front of the withers and that's considered perfectly natural.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that you clip what you feel makes the horse's neck look its best. The groomer is the artist for the horse. It is not deceptive to groom a horse so that it looks its best, nor is it silly or stupid or meant as an insult to a judge's eyesight. At home, many times.... because sometimes these minis' manes are supper thick, long and heavy, I cut them back quite far on the bridle path, under cut them as well... AND thin them out so that it does not pull the horse's crest over, is easier to care for and cooler for the horse. Sometimes I do it for my own mare's good the little porkers enjoying summer pasture just a little too much. = ) JMO

Rule states in 2 places:

M.Horse shall show with full mane and tail (no full

roach). Mane and tail length shall be left to the

decision and discretion of the exhibitor. Thinning,

pulling, shortening, etc., of a mane and tail is

permissible.

M. Horses shall show with full manes and tails, (no

roach).Thinning, pulling, shortening etc., of a mane

and tail is permissible. The mane and tail length shall

be left to the decision of the exhibitor.

Last edited by a moderator:
The past few years I've taken my horses bridle paths way way way back. About a third of the mane back. Mostly because they actually looked nicer and neater and it was so much less mane to have to deal with, especially the ones with heavy manes and frizzies. Over the winter I decided to throw caution to the winds and grow some of it back in, about 4 inches or so. Its still going to be longer than an ear's length though. Now I've got a barn full sporting that dreaded mohawk. Oh heck, I'll just shove a bow on the darn things and let it grow.
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back