Breeding Soundness Exam

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiggy

Reaction score
One of my mares has been with a stallion for over a year and has not come up pregnant... she was in a bad situation this summer and there is concern about her reproductive abilities now. She previously had several foals, and bred very easily.... I am wanting to get a breeding soundness exam done on her... but have never had one done before... what can I expect from it... what testing do they do?

Also, since her breeding history is good... what do you think the chances are that something may be seriously wrong? She had never been worked previously either, she grew up and became a broodmare right away... but then after her last foal in '05, she went to this other home that worked her and trained her to drive... any chance that big change in her lifestyle could have had an effect on her breeding abilities? She is certainly much thinner than she has ever been in her life.... though not "too skinny"...

She's such a pretty mare... and a wonderful mom... I hope nothing is too wrong... but am worried!
default_sad.png

The training shouldn't have effected her reprodution. What she could have is a problem such as a low grade infection or scarring in her uterus dating back to her last pregnancy. A repro exam should tell you and the vet will know how to treat whatever her issue is. A great site for repro info is http://www.equinereproduction.com Great articles on anything repro related!

Also, your vet will check her cervix for scarring and elasticity. A cervix that won't close after foaling or breeding for any reason, won't maintain a pregnancy.

I also like this website for breeding information Equine Reproduction Forum.

And even when all the tests come back that she should be sound, she may not reproduce. I paid 5500 for a mare that was a national champion, double hall of fame, dam of distinction already with three hof children and tried for 4 years to get her to stay pregnant. She had ultrasounds , biopsies, blood work....the whole shebang, even lived with the vet for 11 months and nothing. Sometimes you just never know. This mares busiest time was when she had the foals, she was being shown, THe lack of foals started after she had been retired a couple years and... this mare is not old. only 11.

Lyn

I recently sold a mare that was "not in foal" although she had had several in the recent past, and the new owner wanted to make sure she was still breeding sound.. (within reason)

She agreed to pay the small amt required to have her palpated by a qualified vet,- that had previous experience with miniatures. The vet was able to check both overies to make sure that they felt normal and to make sure there were no abnormalities.

Following the exam, the buyer talked to the vet, ( via phone- out of state sale) about the opinion of soundness of the mare.

Following the conversation the buyer aggreed to go forward with the coggins and health certificate,-(at my expence) and proceeded to purchase the mare.

(I know,- TMI- but some-one can use this)

A breeding soundness exam should include, in addition to the physical exam, a biopsy and culture. Our cultures are about $60.00 and the biopsy $100.00

Latest posts

Back