breeding problems???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punky

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 3y/o stallion, this is his first year of breeding, well first i was breeding him to my 5 y/o mare, well she came back into heat, my maiden mare has been breed to him twice now. I think i got it right...lol

One was breed twice, and the other is coming back in again, this will be her second time breeding also, and the other one i`m waiting to see if she comes back into heat. (Her old owners said she usually takes on the first try) she wouldn`t breed until like her 3rd month heat...till the baby is about 3 months old. She wouldn`t have any thing to do with him, when she was reading she went to the fence and showed him she was ready. And she hasn`t came back in yet, but she has till the first of july.

Is this normal for a 3 y/o that has never been breeding yet? I hope to have a baby in 07...but i don`t know..

they keep coming back into heat...lol...

Any help please???

Thanks,

Tina

Just wanted to add that 2 of my mares had a foal this past april, if that helps, but not by this stallion.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a "first breeding year" stallion myself. For me it's just wait and see. Until a stallion has proven himself you really just don't know. I guess you could collect a semen speciman and make sure he's got a good count and active sperm. You also rarely get 100% "in foal" rate on any stallion. I used a "seasoned" stallion last year(that had given me 100% pregnancies the prior year) and only had one out of 4 mares was pregnant. Good luck with your boy!

Thanks for the reply, i guess i will have to wait and see if any stay in foal. My friend told me to do a sperm test if they all come back in heat again. So that will be my next step...

thanks,

Tina

I'm also using a first time stallion this year, turns three next month. He's settled most of the mares but a few came back in heat the next month. I figure he's young, and my need a few more tries to get them all settled.
default_wink.png
:

I have to say IME when there is a problem it is rarely the stallion that is at fault, even though he always gets the "blame"!!

I actually see it as "par for the course" if a mare returns- I do not think I have ever set all the mares first time round- some mares just take a couple of goes!
default_yes.gif
:

Hello all! I'm almost happy reading this thread. I'm in the same exact situation Tina. I have the most beautiful little guy on loan...three next month...and boy is he trying. But, my seasoned girls and my maidens just keep coming back in. This is our third month trying. We are hand breeding and pasture breeding. I'm about to give up. I've already pulled a few mares away and am now planning to breed my good ole 12 year stallion and throw in the towel this year! My vet and other mini friends assure me that he's probably fine...just brand new to all of this and vet even said sometimes when they're really small (like him) that it takes an extra year. Oh well...good luck all of you breeding with the new boys!
default_wink.png
:

Liz

We bought a 2 year old and bred him at 3 but no foals out of him though he loved to do his job had his sperm count done in the fall it was a low live count skipped the next year used him as a 5 year old and he had 3 foals the following year. Our vet we used at the time said he thought the smaller horses were sometimes slow to mature even though they did the job the sperm wasn't up to par till older. But we've used 2 year old stallions and didn't have a problem settling mares so am wondering if sometimes it could be to do with certain lines.

Latest posts

Back