Breeding previous foundered mares, would you?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the primary consideration would be the quality and value of the mare.

If she is mediocre conformation, and mediocre market value, then I would pass.

However, if she is superior quality, and obviously a valuable mare, then it would be worth the risk to try and get a foal out of her.

I would go ahead a figure in a potential $1000 vet bill for complications while pregnant for the foundered mare. Then ask yourself, is this mare's offspring going to justify that potential expense?

And there you will have your answer.

Well the primary consideration would be the quality and value of the mare.

If she is mediocre conformation, and mediocre market value, then I would pass.

However, if she is superior quality, and obviously a valuable mare, then it would be worth the risk to try and get a foal out of her.

I would go ahead a figure in a potential $1000 vet bill for complications while pregnant for the foundered mare. Then ask yourself, is this mare's offspring going to justify that potential expense?

And there you will have your answer.
Not that emotions don't play a part in the decision, but thank you for the subjective view, very appreciated. I hadn't really thought of it in this way.

I would agree with Lauralee as to what I would factor in before breeding or considering breeding a mare that had foundered. It would also be important though on the reason for the founder and the severity.

i have seen foundered mares bred and its such a sad sight. So my answer is no I would not breed a mare that had trouble with founder/laminitis.

Latest posts

Back