Breeding-only Halter for a Stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stand an APHA (Paint) Stallion as well as our mini stallion Sam.

And having bred horses for years having nicely mannered stallions and having a few bad ones as well. We have developed a system that works well for us.

Sam has a miniature Chifney bit that is wrapped in vet wrap. This is attached to his halter. The only time he gets to talk to his girls is when he is wearing this. Other wise he is silent. This is mostly because I don't believe in treating him any differently then a gelding. I will walk him and a couple of mares or him and another colt together with no issues what so ever. I have never actually had to use the Chifney bit for anything more than okay its time to go to work. This is not something that anyone will ever accidentally do if something should happen to me. And so there would be no mistakes.

The APHA stallion we have a different set up simply because he is so big. (16 HH and 1400lbs) We put a basket muzzle on him and run a fat cotton rope through his mouth. This started because when he bred his first mare he tried to be really bitey. And kept trying to bite her to hold on. (She was not a co operative mare) And so when he got into trouble for biting he didnt want to do that again and we had a huge hassle trying to get him bred. (Keep in mind this was his first time ever) And so we put the muzzle on him (Its one of those wire ones that has huge holes ect.
horsemuzzlemetal3.jpg
This allows him to still be able to lick and romance the mares with out fear of reprisals for being a little rough. Which he is no longer but because thats how we started thats how he knows what is going to happen.

He also is lead side by side with mares and ridden and driven in and around mares who are in season ect with no issues what so ever for all intense and purposes he is a gelding with benefits.

Good Lord, EL, I have to say all that seems a bit extreme.

I too have stood many large stallions and I have never had to go to those extremes and I have never bitted a stallion, especially a mini.

Whatever floats your boat, I suppose
default_wink.png

It is not extreme, however, it is extremely dangerous to "arm" a stallion with a metal weapon. I'd recommend using a leather muzzle instead.

Get a leather halter and put studs on it lol
default_laugh.png

I wouldn't use a chain either, I would try and find something else.

Latest posts

Back