Breeding Dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyLilShowGirl

Reaction score
I got my german shepherd from a breeder and she told me that she was getting rid of her because she wouldn't breed with her male. She would just sit down when the male tried to mount.

So just out of my own curiosity..has anyone heard of this before?? Why would she do that? And what is the cause?

I saw her male briefly..and from what I could see...he looked much taller then her. She is small for a german shepherd. Could that be a factor?

Just curious....
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Thanks

Kris

It could be. How far in heat is she when she does this? Has she been to the vet to check to see if her hormones are screwy on her. Maby she needs to be put on some supplements for her hormones.

I don't really know anything about breeding dogs, but when I used to work at the bank, one of my co-workers had Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. She had a girl one she'd raised from a puppy and wanted her to be bred, but she did like Lakota and kept sitting down. She never was able to get her bred and had her spayed. So, I know some dogs do that, but I don't know "why".

Just like horses and other species dogs can have reproductive issues. They also can have preferences and sometimes flat out do not like the mate chosen for them.

Usually if a b_itch is non receptive and important to the breeding program, a breeder will work with a repro vet to determine the cause or possible cause and often AI will be done or surgical implant depending on the situation. Dog breeders spend thousands of dollars trying to produce the ideal specimen just as horse breeders do.

Some b_itches just shouldn't be bred and nature knows best, so they fail reproductively.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my german shepherd from a breeder and she told me that she was getting rid of her because she wouldn't breed with her male. She would just sit down when the male tried to mount.

So just out of my own curiosity..has anyone heard of this before?? Why would she do that? And what is the cause?

I saw her male briefly..and from what I could see...he looked much taller then her. She is small for a german shepherd. Could that be a factor?

Just curious....
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Thanks

Kris

I agree w/Runamuk. But I would hope that you have your new girl spayed for her own health. Did your breeder mention why she wanted to breed these two dogs?? Were either of them titled?

With a giant breed like a Saint Bernard, we sometimes use a breeding rack to support the female and / or to better align the two. The racks are adjustable. They are often needed if it is the first time for one or both participants. It is not unusual to also see two or three people helping them out!!!. You have to have a sense of humor about it!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

But, we always make sure the bitch is receptive to the male and enthusiastic about the mating first, otherwise it would be unethical to restrain her like that. She certainly should flag her tail and at least try to stay up for a mount.

Hope this helps.

Daryl

Latest posts

Back