Bred ????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jane=P

Reaction score
I sold my stud late last winter and I didn't bred him to my mare Brit. I was going to back off from breeding. Well since spring I have had her out in pasture 24/7 and haven't paid her much attention and I looked at her yesterday and noticed she was getting fat. I thought it was from being on pasture and the new grain I just changed too. The I noticed she has a small bag and I can get fluid out of it and she looks like she is carrying low in the belly Starting thinking back and I haven't seen her in heat this year. I dont have stud, but my yearling colt was trying to bred my other mare ( he is now gelding)and he never bothered with her. and I have a stallion here for few weeks to show for my friend and he in pen next to mares, and he hasnt paid her any attention, but has with my other mare and brought her into heat, and Brit couldnt care less about him. So I took some pictures. What ya think ??

I am starting to think that my stud may have bred her thru the fence late last summer, he was in pen next to the mares. I never saw anything, but you know how sneaky they can be . What do you think ????

150.JPG

162.JPG

175.JPG

161.JPG

hhhmmmmmmmm I think you might want to watch her quite closely. She doesn't look fat on her neck.

Last edited by a moderator:
hhhmmmmmmmm I think you might want to watch her quite closely. She doesn't look fat on her neck.
I know , all low in belly .I just emailed my vet and I think I may have him come and pull some blood to be sure

I agree she has no extra weight on her neck or even her bum its just a belly and a low one at that. That and no obvious season they might well have been sneaking in a bit of hows your father through the fence.

Definitely a good idea to do a test and then you will know

How accurate is the blood test for pregnancies? I have asked my vet about it because one of my mares gets extremely stressed with teh US and they told me that it is not very accurate. What is your experience and any other alternatives to US to determine? She is tricky because we had her confirmed last year for a foal this March and then she didn't have one. She also doesn't seem to come into heat like the others...
default_wacko.png

A blood test this late will not give you any answers. She does look very pregnant!

She sure looks like it!

All the pics were from the side. How about from the rear, down at her level? I'd like to see that!

She sure does look to be in foal to me. Have you not seen or felt any movement?

I haven't seen movement, but only just noticed that she looks bred. She has been out in pasture and I havent been handling her everyday .I have my vet coming on Friday to pull blood, so we will know for sure. Going to have him test my donkey Laverne that I sent out to be bred in May , I will find out about the both of them

Here are a few other pic's of her that I took today. I will let everyone know when I get the results, but I am really starting to think she could be bred, but has some more time before she would be due

166.JPG

196.JPG

169.JPG

192.JPG

Well now the new pictures make me question whether it is baby or her getting a little chunky off of pasture as her belly does not go outward at all. I do have a few mares that do much too well on our pasture. I also have a mare who carries her foal very low so is hard to tell if she's in foal or not-tricky mares
default_smile.png

Be weary of the blood test though. They are very unreliable and only somewhat reliable during a certain time frame which is extremely hard to determine, especially when you're not sure when she was bred. I tried them one year on 10 mares-7 came back inconclusive (5 of which were in foal), 2 came back positive when they were actually open, and 1 came back negative that was in foal. So even if it comes back negative make sure you keep a close eye on her.

default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
Oh Jane
default_new_rofl.gif

Now Thats a good one
default_new_rofl.gif

Im going to try that on my husband next year!!
default_new_rofl.gif

"Oh honey no...I didnt breed anyone I promise....those 4 mares must have all got bred thru the fence...i swear it honey"
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

congratulations might be in order looking at the first pictures

but the 2nd set ...well now Im not to sure!

Has she had foals before coz that and the pasture might be fooling you - I have an older/retired mare here who, at the moment, has the most perfect V shaped belly and she hasn't been near a stallion for 5 years!

Your first pics made me want to say 'yes in foal' but like the other posters here, the second ones leave me not so sure.

I wouldn't be relying on a blood test either - they only work within a time frame. Anyway she looks well and not in need of extra food etc, so why dont you just wait and see how things develop? From the look of her bag, she's not going to foal yet so you have time for simple observation.

Nice mare.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back