bred mare question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetiki

Reaction score
I feel like a bad horse mommy right now. I have a 7yr old this year mare, I had her bred last May then we moved 700 miles and after she got here she was acting like a normal mare, squirting and backing up to my gelding, acting like she was in season well apparently she was lying to me as last night we were bringing in from the pasture to feed and I noticed her belly bouncing a little, I thought this was odd so I placed my hand on the underside of her belly and felt 2 little feet kicking like crazy, this was cute but alarmed me. I hadn't done anything different than I would with an unbred mare and in fact had put her on a diet last week as I was planning on taking her to the Fletcher, NC show around July 1st. Well thats now out of the question however her diet is being upped a bit to allow for the proper nutrition for a bred mare and now to my question,

Are there any vaccinations etc that she needs now? I called the vets office this AM and they told me no, but there is still something nagging at me that she needs something. She's had no pneumabor K shots, no nothing other than normal dewormings and normal feet care and normal feed. All her shots were done May of last year before leaving FL, except WNV. The vets office said that she would be fine until this May, she's due to foal Early April, she was bred May 14th and 15th, she foaled her last foal at day 330 on the nose.

Thanks

Karen

You'll want to vaccinate her approximately 30 days before she is due to foal, so that she will be able to pass on immunities to her foal.
default_smile.png
You may want to discuss with your vet which things she should be vaccinated for.

Congratulations on your upcoming new arrival! :aktion033:

I am no expert but as for feed issues unless she is thin I would keep her feed right where it is until she is nursing then would up her feed a bit if it looks like foal is taking too much from her. As for vacinating we do 4 way 30 days before foaling and rabies and WNV if we are giving it the day after foaling. We also worm mare regularly and again the day after foaling. We also do pneumobort at 5 7 and 9 mos gestation but that again is personal preference. I hope this helps.

I think I'll do the 4 way shot next month and then the rest in May. Little late for the pnumabor K shots I think, this would be her 9th month almost 10th. I would normally do these for a bred mare, but didn't realize she was bred. She's in no way shape or form thin, she does get dragged down when nursing though. She was getting 5 oz of Born to Win 2x a day as her diet I upped her to 8 oz, the bag says 4 oz for maintence of the minis and reccommends more for breeding stock, so I upped it just a little. She was on 8oz with the previous foal and did well until the foal was about 3 months old then she started getting dragged down a bit.

Thanks everyone

Karen

Latest posts

Back