Braiding for hunter class at local and national shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christina_ski

Reaction score
I have been working on perfecting braiding my studs mane and tail for hunter, as I plan to have him in it at his next show next month. I don't see many people at local shows with them braided, but alot of those turn around and go back into jumper, where I don't think braiding is allowed (Not sure?) He will just be in the hunter, and I french braid the top of his tail, and braid his mane down his neck is a nice neat way (I also braid his forelack, but not sure if thats allowed or not either) I have seen them braided at Nationals, but rarely at local shows.

Anyways, does it matter to the judges at all? Locally? At Nationals?

Thanks,

Christina

Mer_Mane.jpg

Here is a pic taken with my cellphone earlier

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh you need Sanny to or Yaddax3 to answer this one, they are pros at the hunter/jumper classes (they are ammy's but have been doing it for years!)

Braiding is allowed in AMHR Jumper, just not as often seen. Jumper at least is purely on skill so while it might make an impression on the judges one way or another it won't help you win. In hunter however it seems like turnout and style play a much more important role and I would absolutely braid.

Leia

I'm impressed with anybody who can do that braiding. But I do know of judges that rule - in hunter - that if you DO braid you should be in english attire. So if you don't want to wear a jacket, helmet and jodhpurs, I would leave the braiding out.

I'm impressed with anybody who can do that braiding. But I do know of judges that rule - in hunter - that if you DO braid you should be in english attire. So if you don't want to wear a jacket, helmet and jodhpurs, I would leave the braiding out.

uh, who knew. I have always seen them braided, but their people did not wear helmets, etc. But nice fancy coats, black pants. Real classy.
default_wacko.png

Not to steal the thread, but how english do you have to dress? for example I have a jacket, ratcatcher, and helmet, but Im a pretty big girl to be wearing breeches, and I dont know how well I could run in tall boots. could you get away with the helmet, jacket and ratcatcher, then pressed khaki dockers and black running shoes?

I really want to start braiding domingo for hunter when time permits, I think he looks better braided.

Not to steal the thread, but how english do you have to dress? for example I have a jacket, ratcatcher, and helmet, but Im a pretty big girl to be wearing breeches, and I dont know how well I could run in tall boots. could you get away with the helmet, jacket and ratcatcher, then pressed khaki dockers and black running shoes? I really want to start braiding domingo for hunter when time permits, I think he looks better braided.
I think the judges I'm talking about would be acceptable to that - you made the effort and presented yourself in attire suitable to the situation. After all, you are running - not riding!! I think you would be fine with this look

Just wanted to let you know what my experience is... (keep in mind that I show predominantly AMHA). I cannot remember ever having seen anyone in English attire at local shows or at AMHA Worlds. I have only been to AMHR Nationals once, in 2007, and I think there may have been one lady there wearing English attire, but certainly most people did not (including myself and I placed well). An AMHR person can tell you if that's changed in this past year or so, though.

As well, I have never spoken to any judges that have indicated that they prefer to see English attire, and a large number of A judges are also R judges. So you definitely don't have to wear English attire - unless of course you want to!

In terms of braiding, it's definitely not required but it adds to the overall picture you present. Most people at the World/National level will braid. I never braid at local shows because there is just no time. I even have one horse that I don't braid at Worlds as I think she looks better unbraided and she's had lots of good placings regardless.

And to answer your other questions, in AMHA at least braiding of the forelock is allowed and braiding is allowed in jumper. Keep in mind though that jumper is not a subjectively judged class (it's about how high you can jump in AMHA and how fast you can go in AMHR) so braiding won't have any outcome on your results.

Good luck and have fun!

Latest posts

Back