Bought pregnant horse, ready to deliver

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They look like they are in great shape, nice and fat and shiny. However, are you sure the mare is pregnant? Looking at the picture, the mare does not have the belly of a late term pregnant mare to me. You might want to have her examined by a vet. Some mares that have had foals before often have an udder that stays puffy and swollen year around. Otherwise she normally would have a hard, tight udder as foaling approached.

They look like they are in great shape, nice and fat and shiny. However, are you sure the mare is pregnant? Looking at the picture, the mare does not have the belly of a late term pregnant mare to me. You might want to have her examined by a vet. Some mares that have had foals before often have an udder that stays puffy and swollen year around. Otherwise she normally would have a hard, tight udder as foaling approached.
Once I got up close and was taking pics, I was thinking she wasn't that big either. Today is the first time I've spent much time with her, but from a distance she just seemed to have a big belly. They were told 25-30 days until delivery, but I'm thinking she's not nearly as far along as they were thinking. The people they got the horses from say she's 7 years old. I'm not sure if or how many foals she's had. They didn't get much info out of the people at all. Mr. T's papers just say aged...not a number of years...which I thought was kind of odd. I think they're going to try to get their vet to see them next week when he gets back from vacation.

Here is a picture of a mare that is probably about as far out as yours is supposed to be. I say probably because we pasture bred and don't have dates. Her udder is full and tight but not giving much in the way of fluid yet. I had her out with a mare that just foaled and happened to catch a picture of her. Too bad I don't have one from the front, she is as wide as a semi.

BTW, both of your minis are at a perfect weight and don't need to gain any.

FrankieJuly2011.jpg

Here is a picture of a mare that foaled a week later. She is 34" and a bit on the tubby side, but she was as wide as a building. This will help you see to compare.

53 mini mama.jpg

Oh WOW! I didn't think CoCo was as big as she was supposed to be, but I didn't think she'd get THAT big! I am going to show this pic to Mom, because I was telling her I thought CoCo had at least a month or more but Dad swears she's ready...LOL they will both be shocked to see just how BIG these mini's can really get!

Do they get really big really fast in the last month or two like us people do? I know that's sort-of a wierd question, but I was just trying to guess whether she had forever to go, or just a month or two...You guys know almost as much as they do about these little guys, so any help trying to figure out how far along she is would be a great help. I know my parents are trying to get the vet out next week, but I guess I'm a little impatient lol.

They tend to grow gradually over the last 2 months or so, have you tried holding your hand under her tummy just in front of her teats to see if you can feel the baby move? Dinner time is a good time to do this.

Here is my mare that foaled in May, this photo was taken 2 weeks before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the pics of your two potato chips, thanks for posting!

Looking at Coco I would agree that she certainly doesn't look as though she's about to foal. Your comment, having seen the pictures of the three (very nice,
default_wub.png
) mini mares posted here, was to 'exclaim' at their size, so obviously Coco is not that huge - it is not that easy to see from your picture, you need to get down on your knees to get a picture 'straight on'!

But you are quite correct in that maiden mares can and often do carry their foals without the 'spread' of a mare that has had several foals. So I think a vet check is the best way forward when he/she is next available.

I would still keep them apart until you have the vet results, just in case she is not in foal - you dont need him covering her now. If she is in foal then they could live together (as long as he is not bothering her) until she gets nearer to foaling, but you will have to keep them apart afterwards, to leave her in peace with her new baby and to stop him covering her again.

Are you going to ask the vet about gelding him? A gelding is much safer around young children.

Great to see you asking lots of questions.
default_yes.gif

Anna

ps. your vet will also be able to age them for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mom told me the other day that she thought she felt a kick...I'm going to have her check again. I'm also going to show her your pic so she can get a good idea of just how big they get. I showed her a couple of videos, but most of the mares were already laying down so it was hard to see how big they really were. Thanks guys for all this info! Every little bit is a really big help. My mom always wanted to get herself (disguised as my kids'
default_wink.png
) miniature horses one day, these little guys kind of fell into her lap a little before they were ready. They already have a couple of ponies and a VERY elderly donkey...but these new additions are by far the favorites! My little girl (age 4) keeps begging CoCo to have that baby! Its just the cutest thing to see her at the fence talking to her like that. We've been talking about it a lot lately so she's starting to get really excited about the baby.

If anyone has any other advice for us extremely new newbies, please feel free to post...even if you're just sure we should already know something, LOL we very well could not.

Thanks again
default_hypocrite.gif

I'm located in Central Arkansas, just south of Little Rock.

My guess would be that the mare is not as close as you were told, especially if the stallion has been with her continuously the whole time since she was first bred.

Feel free to pm me if you want to.

Hi Alicia,

Just wondering how your girls is doing?? has the vet been out to check on her? can you feel the baby moving??

hope everything is going well

default_yes.gif

Cassie

Hi Alicia,

Just wondering how your girls is doing?? has the vet been out to check on her? can you feel the baby moving??

hope everything is going well

default_yes.gif

Cassie
I'm sorry I haven't been on in a while to update...started my summer classes
default_sad.png
so I no longer have free time. My mom said she can feel light movement in her belly (right before you get to the bag) but she still looks the same. From looking at all the pictures I can find of pregnant miniatures and watching the video from Suzie and Peanut, I believe CoCo still has a little while to go...few months maybe. I will definitely keep everyone posted
default_smile.png

OK
default_smile.png
make sure you keep us posted :D

thats good that your mum can feel the foal I am happy as long as I can feel Suzie's and I CAN FEEL IT!! LOL

been very active this last week I think it wants out HEHE

would love to see some more pics too!!
default_aktion033.gif

My mom checked CoCo's milk today. She said it was about as thick as hot syrup, and clear. I told her I'd see what you guys thought that meant. We're all thinking a few more weeks but I'm just not sure. Is it possible for her to not be as far along as we're thinking and still have some clear fluid coming out? Mom said her bag is definitely getting bigger, but she seems to be looking smaller
default_wacko.png
. When they first got her, she looked REALLY pregnant from the back, now its not so obvious from the back, but more from the front now, if that makes any since. She hasn't got that v-belly yet either...from what I know, that shape comes from when the baby gets into the 'sitting position', so if she's not got that shape, then we're not close right? or wrong? AAK this is all so confusing, bc I know all mares are different and all the tell-tell signs are just 'guides'.
closedeyes.gif

Mom has also been letting her and Mr.T (the presumed father) together during the day...and he can't seem to stay off her...its a take it or leave it thing for her most of the time...Is this safe?!? Please tell me no so I can tell her to separate them (bc my kids think it's soo funny when they 'ride piggy back'
default_blush.png
). I'm pretty sure it won't take them long to figure out what's really going on...LOL and I could stand to wait a few years to talk to them about all that
default_wink.png

Also, the vulva is a little pinker than a week or two ago...but then again, it could be from Mr.T, bc she checked her this evening and I know he's been messing with her most of the day...I get a lovely show every time I walk out my front door...
default_new_shocked.gif

I'll try to get some pictures this weekend but I'm not going to make any promises bc I'm studying for an anatomy exam ALL weekend
default_no.gif

Hi Alicia, You can tell your mum that she really NEEDS to separate them now, make sure they are still close so they don't get upset but he must NOT "mess" with her at this point.

I think the natural way for kids to learn is the best, my son Matteo hasn't asked any questions as he has seen all the animals here "at it" so it saved me that terrifying explanation phewwwwwwwwwwwwww

If your mares tummy has changed shape it is cos the foal has moved and therefore the new position could be putting more pressure that could be why her vulva is redder. I would watch her closely for any changes in behaviour and routine.

If she is pregnant, she should not be allowed to be bred and normally a pregnant mare will not accept a stallions advances, although there are some rare occasions where mares do act in heat while pregnant. Regardless, bacteria can enter and infect the embryo & placenta. It is not safe for the unborn foal.

I thought they should be separated too! I told her it just couldn't be safe. She was also concerned so she called the vet and he told her that as long as she was a willing recipient that it was fine. This was when she first got them, almost two months ago. I'm not really sure that he's getting where he's aiming, he's only 29 or so inches and she's 34. She kicks him away sometimes, which was why I didn't think it was safe. I will tell her in the morning that she definitely needs to separate them.

Does the milk need to turn to a more sticky, cloudy looking consistency when she's getting closer? I saw some pictures of milk, but I honestly couldn't make heads or tails at what I was looking at.

Also, how old should the baby be before it's safe to have Mr.T around them? This is another one of the debates running around here that I'd like to get more professional opinions on.

Also, Mom has a pregnant pigmy goat and a great pyranese (sp?) who's the mommy/protector of the field with CoCo, but they all get along just fine. Is it ok if they're together? She puts CoCo up at night, but during the day, they're all together.

Thanks so much for all the answers you guys so generously give. My mom wanted me to let you guys know how thankful she is for all the information!

Are you sure that Mr T isn't Coco's son, She seems to have a very maternal approach to his bad behaviour. Any of my pregnant mares will kick the c... out of my stallion if he over steps the mark ,so he plods around the field quietly and out of their reach. I think you should plan to keep them separate for a while and them reassess later when you have seen how they all react. I have never had any problems what so ever with my stallion in the field with babies, he even babysits if the foals are colts and want to play rough. He spends all his time with them when the mares aren't in heat.

I agree with the others - Mr T needs to be out of Coco's field NOW!! Also they can not be together again unless he is gelded - if Coco does produce a foal, there is no need for her to have another one/get pregnant again immediately unless you intend to follow a breeding programme (not a good idea in this economic climate)

Renee (Eagle) had an interesting thought. It could be possible that Mr T is actually Coco's offspring. Did your vet eventually make a visit and did he age these two for you? It would be interesting to know, from the age point of view, if they could be related?

But please tell your Mum to ignore the vet under these circumstances and get the two of them apart! Also there should be no problem with your pregnant goat being in with Coco and her new baby (if she's preggers) unless Coco decides she doesn't like it! You will just have to wait and see. Is your dog used to being with new borns? If so, all should be ok, but some 'guards' are not too reliable with new babies.

Good luck, and please try to pop in here now and again to keep us all updated on how things progress.
default_yes.gif

Anna

If she is indeed pregnant, your mother will REGRET leaving them together. The high probability that his breeding her will cause an abortion is enough of a reason alone to separate them. Plus, if he is disrespectful of her space, as it sounds like he is, what does she think will happen when that mare lays down in labor?

I feel so sorry for that mare. I hope the best for her.

Last edited:
We're sure he's not her offspring, the papers show her as 7 and he is older than her. Mom's dog is used to being around babies, they used to raise goats and she was always with them, she hangs out with the momma and babies at a distance.

I told them this morning to separate them, I believe they will this afternoon. They're separated at night already, so I don't think it should be too difficult on them to just be separated all the time.

Latest posts

Back