Bought pregnant horse, ready to deliver

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alicia

Reaction score
My parents bought a pregnant horse (35 in) and a stud (30 in) a month ago for my children. They were told she would be due to deliver in 25-30 days, so she should be delivering any day. My parents are new at this so I've been doing research for them. What are the tell tell signs that she's soon to deliver? I would like to be able to catch her in the beginning of labor so the vet will have time to make it out. The vet is on vacation this week, so if she goes this week we might be in trouble. I've heard of some mares waxing, but she's been without hair around her nipples since they got her...Mom called me today and told me it looks like the front of her bag is swelling a little and her muscles around her rump are starting to soften. He vulva is still the same, I don't think she's been having any diarrhea. I live across the street and sometimes I hear a cough or sneezing sound coming from one of them...a couple times a day, don't know if it's related LOL just throwing it out there just incase it meant something.

How will my parents know when she is starting to go into labor? About how long will they have from that point until actual delivery? We're a good 30-45 minutes from the vet so the sooner we know about her labor the better I would think.

I would be thankful for any feedback, my parents got these horses in an effort to better their lives. They were a little poor when they got them but she's getting some meat on their bones! I will try to get a picture of CoCo and Mr. T up tomorrow. Poor girl, her belly is getting so big its making me a little nervous...

First off, bless your parents for buying those horses and bringing them to a better home! Does the mare have a full udder? The best thing I've found for guaging when a mare's close to delivery is the consistency of her milk. When it gets really thick and sticky, like syrup, she's CLOSE! Don't take your eyes off her! I've never really had one that waxed like a full size horse does, but I know some minis do. Someone really needs to be there when she foals, as a lot of mini foals are too small to get out of the sack. As soon as the head is out, I break the sack. Good luck with her, and I'll be waiting for pix of a pretty new baby!

Where are you located? Maybe a mini person could come out and check her for you...foaing Minis is not for the faint-hearted.

My parents bought a pregnant horse (35 in) and a stud (30 in) a month ago for my children. They were told she would be due to deliver in 25-30 days, so she should be delivering any day. My parents are new at this so I've been doing research for them. What are the tell tell signs that she's soon to deliver? I would like to be able to catch her in the beginning of labor so the vet will have time to make it out. The vet is on vacation this week, so if she goes this week we might be in trouble. I've heard of some mares waxing, but she's been without hair around her nipples since they got her...Mom called me today and told me it looks like the front of her bag is swelling a little and her muscles around her rump are starting to soften. He vulva is still the same, I don't think she's been having any diarrhea. I live across the street and sometimes I hear a cough or sneezing sound coming from one of them...a couple times a day, don't know if it's related LOL just throwing it out there just incase it meant something.

How will my parents know when she is starting to go into labor? About how long will they have from that point until actual delivery? We're a good 30-45 minutes from the vet so the sooner we know about her labor the better I would think.

I would be thankful for any feedback, my parents got these horses in an effort to better their lives. They were a little poor when they got them but she's getting some meat on their bones! I will try to get a picture of CoCo and Mr. T up tomorrow. Poor girl, her belly is getting so big its making me a little nervous...
Waxing refers to a wax like build up on the nipples cause from dry milk/colostrum, not waxing as in hair removal, I just want to make sure you have the correct understanding..

I would look for the usual signs of pending foaling, however, if you have spent some time with the mare you probably know what her habits during periods of the day and night, if she is pretty laid back look for signs of restlessness and changes in eating, even slight changes as to where she might spend the most of her time, such as if she is usually at one end of the stall and all the sudden she starts standing at another end, or laying down and getting up more than usual, those are usual signs of 1st stage labor and will give you a good ideal of having to watch her like a hawk..

I agree with having a possible mini person come by and take a look, they can give you some personal one on one time and answer a lot of questions you may have..

Keep in mind that some mare show signs such as Bagging up, relaxing Vulva, Waxing, and Loose/soft Tailhead, however, most will only show some of these signs and some will show none!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are you located? Maybe a mini person could come out and check her for you...foaing Minis is not for the faint-hearted.
We are in Arkansas. I told my mom to call her vet tomorrow to make sure they are ready and able to come out at a moment's notice. I've seen enough videos and read enough horror stories to know that, if at all possible, a vet needs to be out there. My mom's main question is "What are the signs of the first stage of Labor and how long do I have to get the vet out." She's had goats, cows, and pigs all birth with no problems, but she doesn't feel as confident delivering a mini since I've been showing her some of the problems that can occur. She wasn't at all prepared to get a pregnant miniature but when she went to look at a horse, she saw those two and felt bad for them so they ended up coming home with her!

I really appreciate that tip about the milk! I will tell Mom to check it.

Should she isolate CoCo now just in case? Right now they've got her and Mr. T together in the field with access to the barn and he seems especially interested in her lately. Dad is building a corral around it in the morning for when she delivers. I think CoCo would enjoy the break but Mr. T would be heartbroken for sure.
default_smile.png

Waxing refers to a wax like build up on the nipples cause from dry milk/colostrum, not waxing as in hair removal, I just want to make sure you have the correct understanding..

I would look for the usual signs of pending foaling, however, if you have spent some time with the mare you probably know what her habits during periods of the day and night, if she is pretty laid back look for signs of restlessness and changes in eating, even slight changes as to where she might spend the most of her time, such as if she is usually at one end of the stall and all the sudden she starts standing at another end, or laying down and getting up more than usual, those are usual signs of 1st stage labor and will give you a good ideal of having to watch her like a hawk..

I agree with having a possible mini person come by and take a look, they can give you some personal one on one time and answer a lot of questions you may have..

Keep in mind that some mare show signs such as Bagging up, relaxing Vulva, Waxing, and Loose/soft Tailhead, however, most will only show some of these signs and some will show none!
default_smile.png

Thanks for those tips. We've all been keeping an eye on her and she seems to be staying true to her habits as of now. Mr.T has been trying to mount her a lot lately though, so they will be separated by tomorrow or Wednesday.

She seems like she's dropping..her belly seems to look like it's closer to the ground. I don't think it will be long at all. Probably by the end of the week for sure. I will keep everyone posted and get pics up soon. Thanks for your advice.

I would like to say how great it was of your mum to take in these 2 little potato chips and give them a better home. I think separating them now is the best thing as long as they can still see each other.As far as foaling is concerned my mares give me very little warning so I would get as much info as possible and be prepared to have to do it all yourself. My vet lives at less than 10 minutes from me but he was just a few minutes too late this year.

Read about all the possible birthing positions of the foal and how to move them if necessary. It would be great if a mini owner could come and visit and give you an express course.

I wish you all the best for a safe and easy foaling.

P.S photos are a must and ASAP
yes.gif

I would like to say how great it was of your mum to take in these 2 little potato chips and give them a better home. I think separating them now is the best thing as long as they can still see each other.As far as foaling is concerned my mares give me very little warning so I would get as much info as possible and be prepared to have to do it all yourself. My vet lives at less than 10 minutes from me but he was just a few minutes too late this year.

Read about all the possible birthing positions of the foal and how to move them if necessary. It would be great if a mini owner could come and visit and give you an express course.

I wish you all the best for a safe and easy foaling.

P.S photos are a must and ASAP
yes.gif
I've been reading up on fixing an elbow and also on a red bag delivery...I showed my parents some videos and tutorials on them and I think if either of those happened we could get it out. Not too sure on repositioning much more than that and would be really nervous during a red bag delivery, but I don't think anyone is really comfortable with those. I have some experience in the medical field and am a nursing student so I'm sure some of what I know would be a help in a pinch. If we were to have to pull the foal out (red bag delivery for example), we would pull in rhythm with her contractions, right? Or is it such an emergency that we just get it out as quick as possible?

I will probably be having random questions like these until this is over. We are all getting excited but there seems to be a dark cloud around it just because we know a lot can go wrong, and also because there's just so much we don't know.

Hope all goes well with your foaling Alicia!! you will find the best help anywhere on the website and no questions is to stupid for these lovely people!!

Hi and welcome to LB.
default_saludando.gif

What wonderful folk your parents are - please thank them and give them a big hug from all of us!

Yes you need to get Mr T (love the name!) away from the little mare asap, perhaps with just a strong fence between them so he doesn't feel lonely and start getting stressed. But do make sure it is a good strong SAFE fence as your girl will probably come into season again 5 to 10 days after foaling and you wont want her to get covered again even if you are thinking about breeding in the future - it sounds as though she needs time and some good food/care from what you have said.

Take heart, a lot of mini mares foal without any problems, although it does help to know a bit about how to help if necessary. The main thing is that they usually foal at night and as it can often be as quick as 15 minutes (approx) between the first signs to having a foal in front of you, it means 'night watching' is pretty essential. Is she in a stall over night so at least someone (you can take turns) can pop in and out to check on her, also this makes it easier should you have to get veterinary help - not easy for you or a vet to cope with any difficulties out in a paddock by torchlight!

How old is your mare, do you know if she has had any foals before this one? As a maiden mare she may take a little longer to give birth than a mare who has had several babies. This would give your vet a little more time to get to you if you decide to call him/her. If you decide to have your vet come to you anyway, just in case he's needed (never a bad idea for your first foaling as he can check the mare and foal for you) then put that call in as soon as you notice any of the first signs - restlessness, circling her stall, rolling, doing small piles of poo as she is walking round and round (the piles of poo are usually a last sign before the mare gets down to start giving birth as it is nature's way of emptying the bowels before the serious contractions start) Once contractions start you should see the white sac (or red bag!) appearing, feel for two feet - one slightly behind the other - plus a nose coming about level with the foal's knees - you might need to gently feel inside to find the nose - but with all this in place you are good to go, and just help your girl by gently keeping the pressure on the foals cannon bones as she makes each contraction. The need for finding both feet and the nose is because if any one of these are missing, it is possible to get the mare to her feet and let the foal slip back inside a bit and slow down its progress, to allow your vet to get to you in time to sort out any possible re-positioning. Once the legs and head are out it is not so easy to correct anything unless you are experienced as the foal is already squeezed into the 'birth canal'.

I am so excited for you, 'potato chips' are such wonderful little animals and I'm sure your two will soon settle into their new home with your parents and their other animals.

Wishing you a happy, healthy and smooth foaling!
default_yes.gif

Anna

Hi and welcome to LB.
default_saludando.gif

What wonderful folk your parents are - please thank them and give them a big hug from all of us!

Yes you need to get Mr T (love the name!) away from the little mare asap, perhaps with just a strong fence between them so he doesn't feel lonely and start getting stressed. But do make sure it is a good strong SAFE fence as your girl will probably come into season again 5 to 10 days after foaling and you wont want her to get covered again even if you are thinking about breeding in the future - it sounds as though she needs time and some good food/care from what you have said.

Take heart, a lot of mini mares foal without any problems, although it does help to know a bit about how to help if necessary. The main thing is that they usually foal at night and as it can often be as quick as 15 minutes (approx) between the first signs to having a foal in front of you, it means 'night watching' is pretty essential. Is she in a stall over night so at least someone (you can take turns) can pop in and out to check on her, also this makes it easier should you have to get veterinary help - not easy for you or a vet to cope with any difficulties out in a paddock by torchlight!

How old is your mare, do you know if she has had any foals before this one? As a maiden mare she may take a little longer to give birth than a mare who has had several babies. This would give your vet a little more time to get to you if you decide to call him/her. If you decide to have your vet come to you anyway, just in case he's needed (never a bad idea for your first foaling as he can check the mare and foal for you) then put that call in as soon as you notice any of the first signs - restlessness, circling her stall, rolling, doing small piles of poo as she is walking round and round (the piles of poo are usually a last sign before the mare gets down to start giving birth as it is nature's way of emptying the bowels before the serious contractions start) Once contractions start you should see the white sac (or red bag!) appearing, feel for two feet - one slightly behind the other - plus a nose coming about level with the foal's knees - you might need to gently feel inside to find the nose - but with all this in place you are good to go, and just help your girl by gently keeping the pressure on the foals cannon bones as she makes each contraction. The need for finding both feet and the nose is because if any one of these are missing, it is possible to get the mare to her feet and let the foal slip back inside a bit and slow down its progress, to allow your vet to get to you in time to sort out any possible re-positioning. Once the legs and head are out it is not so easy to correct anything unless you are experienced as the foal is already squeezed into the 'birth canal'.

I am so excited for you, 'potato chips' are such wonderful little animals and I'm sure your two will soon settle into their new home with your parents and their other animals.

Wishing you a happy, healthy and smooth foaling!
default_yes.gif

Anna
We got them separated today, but would it be ok to have her and Mr.T together during the day if someone was close by to keep an eye on them? I would love to have a cam set up for her, but she was kind-of a little surprise! I'm taking the kids over in a little while so I will try to get some pics of her up so everyone can weigh in on her.

http://www.miniatureventures.com/resourcepage.html

My husband and I have put together several articles about foaling on our website under the section, "Horse Health".....They include a step by step written description of a normal foaling, a description with pictures, our foaling kit, and some discussions regarding possible foaling problems. Oh! And the "Is My Mare Pregnant?" lists signs to watch for that a mare is close to foaling........

We also provide a link to Crayonbox Miniatures who has some very good information. The more you can learn the better BEFORE your new foal arrives!

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.miniature...sourcepage.html

My husband and I have put together several articles about foaling on our website under the section, "Horse Health".....They include a step by step written description of a normal foaling, a description with pictures, our foaling kit, and some discussions regarding possible foaling problems. Oh! And the "Is My Mare Pregnant?" lists signs to watch for that a mare is close to foaling........

We also provide a link to Crayonbox Miniatures who has some very good information. The more you can learn the better BEFORE your new foal arrives!
Thank you very much! I got the crayonbox link last night and have been learning a lot. I'm checking your site out now and I know it's going to be very helpful.

Latest posts

Back