Boones Little Buckeroo????????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in an area where I see many offspring of Buckeroo, and I can't say I have ever looked at a one of them and the word course came to mind.

I have a Zorro son, and a BTU son, 4 and 5. No where near course and although they were both shown as a yearling, now just in pasture shape, they are in very good shape. I haven't bred them, watching them mature, so all I'm waiting on now, is to make sure the girls are ready. As good as the boys are, it does no good if I don't think the same about the girls. I know of several who buy a big time stallion and just call it good. I'm not going to do that, the girls are just as important.
default_smile.png

A herd stud is not Buckeroo, or Rowdy, or Rhoten, a herd stud is THE complete package. That package is not listed on paperwork.

Good luck!

There will always be some folks that do not like any particular bloodline you mention. Additionally there will those that swear by that same bloodline. Some folks have legitimate reasons for not liking a certain bloodline, others are just jealous of some folks success.
default_wink.png

In some cases the type and/or bloodlines of a persons herd will not work with every certain bloodline also. But only trail and error will prove that to you.
default_unsure.png

My advice to you is judge the individual first, then look at siblings and other heritage in a horses background in relation to what you want out of the stallion. And then look at the bloodline.
default_yes.gif

Buckeroo is the most successful line of horses bar none so far in the history of AMHA, look at the number of champions his lines have produced. But you need good mares also.
default_aktion033.gif

Currently our Sr. Stallion Cherryville's Rio de Oro has produced us a number of world champion daughters, we are now breeding them to a Baccara Son (Baccara is a Buckeroo son that was world champion) out of a Double Destiny Daughter (Double Destiny was a world champion also) named Silver Plates Baccara Luxor. He is producing awesome babies for us each year. You could not buy him for less than really "stupid money".
default_wub.png

So to answer your question directly, we have had great luck with Luxor and are very pleased with the results of using him as our Jr. Stallion. I hope yours works as well for you.
default_saludando.gif
default_aktion033.gif

foals have fallen into the hands of good breeders and then some of them have gone to not so good of breeders. Can you blame Buckeroo if someone bought a son of his and crossed him on poor quality mares? /b] I would think not. This

Are you saying that ALL of his babies are gorgeous and it's only the fault of the buyers if they don't produce to standard?

Littleum, I would hope that you as a breeder or anyone else intending on breeding would only purchase a good breeding quality stallion from ANY bloodline and then I would only hope that you or any other breeder would then have the knowledge to cross that stallion with a mare that compliments him. This holds true of ANY bloodline. I would hope that you would not buy a stallion no matter what the pedigree that you did not feel was perfect for a breeding stallion and a great cross with your mares. What I am saying is that if it even has Buckeroo on the pedigree all the way back to the fourth and fifth generation, I have seen people say, he has Buckeroo in his pedigree and they tend to market them as Buckeroo this or that. Well, yes Buckeroo is in the pedigree, but what else have several other breeders added to that mix? For example, the poster is mentioning a Buckeroo grandson. I have not heard another word about any other horse in this horse's pedigree. If this were an imperfect horse, is it fair to say that it is imperfect because it is a Buckeroo grandson and that the imperfections just must have came from this line? I personally don't think so. But then again, the emphasis is put on Buckeroo because he is famous.

I really don't think that I have to defend my post here as Buckeroo has proven himself over and over but it never ceases to amaze me that some people seem to be so negative and feel the need to knock success. I have been in horses all of my life and my grandfather (a very wise man) always told me "the cream will always rise to the top". So no matter what reasons people seem to have to knock such success, I for one will never do that, I will elect to try and pay attention to how it was done and learn from it and maybe be able to apply it to my own advantage someday. Success in any field, game or sport takes a winning combination to achieve. Obviously, according to the record books, the Eberth's have achieved that winning combination with Boones Little Buckeroo. My hat is off to them and to Buckeroo. I am sorry for the people who say, I totally intended on NOT adding that bloodline to my herd. Why???? I don't understand the closed mindedness of those statements and I am sure that I never will. Give me a horse like LK Psyched Up Buck, LK Buckeroo Baccarra, LK LF Buckeroo Zorro, Buckeroos Top Cat, BTU, LK Buck Echo, LK White Russian, Alvadars Double Destiny and the list goes on and on and on......... and I would just be elated. I bet you wouldn't kick them out of your barn either. I am open to ANY bloodline that produces such a phenomonal amount of champion offspring generation after generation. IF Buckeroo would have been a thorobred, his stud fee would have been $500,000 - and the true players of the game would have paid it. Very few horses have the ability to produce greatness as consistently as this horse has. I stand behind my description of him in my other post as a genetic masterpiece.

I was truly hoping that this post would not turn into the nit picking back and forth that I have seen in other posts on this forum. I am simply stating my thoughts on Boones Little Buckeroo. These are my thoughts and no one has to agree, but no one can change my mind as I have seen it with my own eyes, year after year. I have been blessed to witness these brilliant foals from birth on to maturity. I would encourage you to visit LKF and see it for yourself and then I would like to know your feelings on this. If you don't have any Buckeroo bloodline in your herd, then I would encourage you to add some and then tell me how you feel later on when you walk out to the barn and get "That Look"..... - a look that the others just don't seem to be able to achieve. To live it is to know it....

I am sorry for the people who say, I totally intended on NOT adding that bloodline to my herd. Why???? I don't understand the closed mindedness of those statements

I do not think anyone is trying to change your mind and how you feel about Buckeroo. There is no doubt that he is a nice horse a horse well ahead of his time and that has withstood the test of time. He has also had amazingly thought out and successful marketing behind him.

However choosing not to have Buckeroo in your breeding program is not close minded in any way shape or form. I have had a BTU son and I have had (and will be getting him back in a couple of weeks) a Double Destiny son. There are things in the Buckeroo line that can be unmistakeable. The chiseld head, the nice well defined jowel, a nice wide head and a nice small muzzle. They tend to have very willing and gentle dispositions yet still have presence. There are also things I am not fond of but that is my opinon and my likes does not make me close minded.

I *might* breed the Double Destiny son to one mare this fall- I have done the cross once before and was very pleased with the outcome - however come winter he will be gelded. Not becouse I am close minded to the bloodline but simply due to the fact that I will always stand by - no matter what the pedigree no matter what the conformation there are to many stallions period.

No one buys a stallion and says OMG look at the crappy horribly conformed unbalanced stallion I just bought
default_wacko.png
Everyone thinks their stallions and mares are breeding quality and that is why they breed them. However not everyone would be right.

That will bring my total to 11 minis and this winter that will make it

4 mares the other 7 geldings. Not inferior geldings- in fact they all have good pedigrees, all but 2 have National show records. So has nothing to do with my being close minded to anything simply being realistic and knowing it takes more then a nice horse and a good pedigree to be reproducing. A nice horse with a good pedigree well reality is they are a dime a dozen

[SIZE=14pt]The name of the colt I am buying is [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]FALLEN ASH RENEGADE REBEL [/SIZE]

****1***2***3***4***5***6***7***8***9****************************************

| | | | UNKNOWN - UNREG.

| | | POPLAR LANES SAMSON - I 00334

| | | |[01/01/1970 : S : SSR : - : DC : 31.000]

| | | | UNKNOWN - UNREG.

| | BOONES LITTLE BUCKEROO - A 03047

| | |[05/22/1978 : S : SBS : BD : - : 30.500]

| | | | | LIGHTNING BUG - UNREG.

| | | | GOLD MELODY BOY - I 01031B

| | | | |[06/10/1962 : S : SPA : - : DC : 33.000]

| | | | | GINNS MELODY - UNREG.

| | | JOHNSTONS VANILLA - R 01827P

| | | |[06/23/1975 : M : SPA : - : - : 34.000]

| | | | | MERRYS GOLDEN MOHAWK - UNREG.

| | | | VANILLA 3RD - I 00093B

| | | | |[04/20/1971 : M : SPA : - : - : 33.500]

| | | | | UNKNOWN - UNREG.

| LITTLE KINGS BUCKEROO CAVALIER - A 147993

| |[04/23/2003 : S : SBS : DN : - : 29.000]

| | | | | | UNKNOWN - UNREG.

| | | | | KOMOKOS KING TUT - R 00242P

| | | | | |[01/01/1968 : G : SBA : BT : DC : 30.000]

| | | | KOMOKOS LITTLE HUSSELER - R 02360P

| | | | |[05/01/1974 : S : SDN : BT : - : 26.500]

| | | | | KOMOKOS LADY BUG - UNREG.

| | | KOMOKOS LITTLE KING SUPREME - R 02914T

| | | |[06/04/1978 : S : SBA : BT : - : 27.000]

| | | | | KOMOKOS MOUNTAIN BOY - R 00243P

| | | | | |[01/01/1966 : S : SSR : - : - : 30.500]

| | | | KOMOKOS TEENIE JEANIE - R 01534P

| | | | |[09/11/1974 : M : SBA : - : - : 28.500]

| | | | | KOMOKOS SALLY - A 04101

| | | | | |[01/01/1967 : M : DGR : - : DC : 31.000]

| | LITTLE KINGS CHAMPAGNE SUPREME - A 64573

| | |[04/10/1994 : M : SPA : - : - : 32.500]

| | | | | | LIGHTNING BUG - UNREG.

| | | | | GOLD MELODY BOY - I 01031B

| | | | | |[06/10/1962 : S : SPA : - : DC : 33.000]

| | | | | | GINNS MELODY - UNREG.

| | | | JOHNSTONS GOLD BAR - A 19172

| | | | |[05/18/1980 : S : SPA : DN : - : 31.000]

| | | | | JOHNSTONS BLONDIE - UNREG.

| | | CROSS AUTUMNS SHAVONE - A 09888

| | | |[06/29/1985 : M : SBK : - : - : 33.500]

| | | | CROSS AUTUMNS DOLLY - A 09326

| | | | |[05/02/1981 : M : SBA : - : - : 34.000]

FALLEN ASH RENEGADE REBEL - A 193282

|[04/13/2009 : S : PBS : - : - : 00.000]

| | | | BOONES LITTLE APACHE - A 03579

| | | | |[06/01/1975 : S : PSR : DN : - : 30.000]

| | | DIPPERS DUFFY - A 07997

| | | |[08/14/1984 : S : SCS : DN : - : 29.000]

| | | | | | | LIGHTNING BUG - UNREG.

| | | | | | GOLD MELODY BOY - I 01031B

| | | | | | |[06/10/1962 : S : SPA : - : DC : 33.000]

| | | | | | | GINNS MELODY - UNREG.

| | | | | ROAN RANGER - A 21722

| | | | | |[04/05/1974 : S : RNR : DN : DC : 30.000]

| | | | | | JOHNSTONS GOLDEN GIRL - UNREG.

| | | | STARLIGHTS LITTLE DIPPER - R 03816T

| | | | |[04/09/1981 : M : SCS : - : - : 29.750]

| | | | | JOHNSTONS STARLIGHT - R 01480P

| | | | | |[03/25/1974 : M : SPA : BT : - : 30.500]

| | | | | | STARLIGHT II - UNREG.

| | SIDS REBEL - A 26478

| | |[04/25/1988 : S : SSR : DN : - : 31.000]

| | | | BOONES LITTLE APACHE - A 03579

| | | | |[06/01/1975 : S : PSR : DN : - : 30.000]

| | | SIDS APRIL FOOL - A 09730

| | | |[04/01/1985 : M : RNR : - : DC : 31.000]

| | | | JOHNSTONS TINA STAR - A 04820

| | | | |[05/01/1982 : M : RNR : DN : - : 32.750]

| LUCKY FOUR REBELS RAINBOWS N ROSES - A 96475

| |[07/06/1998 : M : PSR : PD : - : 31.500]

| | | | ORION LIGHT VANT HUTTENEST - R 01609P

| | | | |[05/09/1974 : S : ANB : BD : - : 31.000]

| | | | | | | | FIELDS LITTLE BOY - UNREG.

| | | | | | | DELL TERAS FIELDS DELIGHT - A 05320

| | | | | | | |[04/18/1961 : S : SBS : - : DC : 32.000]

| | | | | | | | FIELDS KATIE - UNREG.

| | | | | | DELL TERAS FIRELIGHT - A 05322

| | | | | | |[04/02/1958 : S : SBA : - : DC : 32.000]

| | | | | | | DELL TERAS MAGGIE - UNREG.

| | | | | DELL TERAS JANE - I 00006B

| | | | | |[03/03/1970 : M : SGR : - : - : 33.000]

| | | | | | DELL TERAS MISS SC - UNREG.

| | | YANG LIGHT VANT HUTTENEST - A 07640

| | | |[04/26/1984 : S : PCS : DN : DC : 28.250]

| | | | | | DELL TERAS J WILLIE - UNREG.

| | | | | MASCOTTE VANT HUTTENEST - R 01620P

| | | | | |[04/06/1971 : S : PSR : - : DC : 27.500]

| | | | | | DELL TERAS LUCY N - UNREG.

| | | | UNIQUE BIRD VANT HUTTENEST - A 03331

| | | | |[04/09/1980 : M : PCS : - : - : 29.000]

| | | | | | | | UNKNOWN - UNREG.

| | | | | | | DELL TERAS BUTTONS - A 03571

| | | | | | | |[01/01/1968 : S : SBR : - : DC : 30.500]

| | | | | | MYSTIC LIGHT VANT HUTTENEST - R 01628P

| | | | | | |[07/20/1972 : S : SCS : - : - : 30.000]

| | | | | | | DELL TERAS MISS AMERICA - UNREG.

| | | | | PEE WEE BIRD VANT HUTTENEST - I 00176

| | | | | |[01/01/1975 : M : SBK : - : DC : 27.250]

| | | | | | | DELL TERAS BUTTONS - A 03571

| | | | | | | |[01/01/1968 : S : SBR : - : DC : 30.500]

| | | | | | MARQUISE VANT HUTTENEST - R 01605P

| | | | | | |[07/21/1972 : M : PBA : - : - : 29.000]

| | | | | | | DELL TERAS JUNE GIRL - UNREG.

| | MINI BITS QT - A 32624

| | |[04/11/1990 : M : PBR : DN : - : 31.500]

| | | | RILEYS ROAN RANGER - I 01816

| | | | |[04/24/1979 : S : RNR : - : DC : 32.000]

| | | RANGERS HIGH SIERRA - IT03203

| | | |[05/03/1983 : M : SBA : - : - : 31.500]

| | | | RILEYS KELLY GOLD - I 03082B

| | | | |[04/29/1980 : M : SPA : - : DC : 33.500]

| | | | | JOHNSTONS MINI GOLD - UNREG.

****1***2***3***4***5***6***7***8***9****************************************

Well we have not seen him yet, but he certainly has a beautiful pedigree. :)

I'll be excited to see a picture when you get him!

Susan O.

Well we have not seen him yet, but he certainly has a beautiful pedigree. :)

I'll be excited to see a picture when you get him!

Susan O.

Horse Feather, We owned him and his dam until we had to make the decision for a complete dispersal. I have a few good pics of him. If you email me I can send them to you. [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Horse Feathers,

I am pretty sure you can post a picture if it is okay with the people you are buying him from. :)

Susan O.

Post those pictures of your new boy when you get a chance. I would love to see what you bought.
default_wink.png

This is just my own opinion here......... I dont think there is anything special about a Buckaroo horse. I think this line has been so overbred, they are a dime a dozen and with all the offspring, great offspring, etc..... I have seen very few that I would really consider top of the line.... the amount of quality horses compared to the amount of foals produced does not seem to be a good percentage.

Buckaroo is/was a nice looking horse, but just has not really reproduced himself in my opinion. I would never buy a horse based on bloodlines.... I would buy one based on what I see, and the sire and dam (I also like to look at their other offspring to see if they are consistant producers, or the really nice one was just a fluke).

If you like the horse, and like the parents, and see that other crosses from them are pretty good, I would buy it, but bloodlines would be secondary to me - but I will say that this horse has a heckuva pedigree!!!

I kind of have to agree with HGFarm. I was into the Buckeroo fase, that once I got into it and studied it I personally wasn't too impressed. Minis aren't like big horses where you can look at bloodlines and get an idea on what you can get. Sure there are some cases where you can look at a certain bloodline and learn to avoid, but its not consistent.

Buy for the horse, not on papers. New mini owners should defintelly take that to heart.

This is just my own opinion here......... I dont think there is anything special about a Buckaroo horse.
Well, if there isn't special with a Buckeroo horse, then in reality isn't there nothing special about ANY bloodline? A lot of bloodlines have been linebred and inbred on, like Chianti, Gold Melody Boy, Flying W Farms Little Blue Boy, Rowdy, Arenosa lines, Dell teras, Komokos, Bond, and others. Why say that one horse isn't really that special just because the sire hasn't reproduced better, or something related to that???
default_wacko.png

What do you think of the Boones Little Buckeroo bloodline? Would you buy a grandson for a herd sire?

This is just my own opinion here......... I dont think there is anything special about a Buckaroo horse. I think this line has been so overbred, they are a dime a dozen and with all the offspring, great offspring, etc..... I have seen very few that I would really consider top of the line.... the amount of quality horses compared to the amount of foals produced does not seem to be a good percentage.
Buckaroo is/was a nice looking horse, but just has not really reproduced himself in my opinion. I would never buy a horse based on bloodlines.... I would buy one based on what I see, and the sire and dam (I also like to look at their other offspring to see if they are consistant producers, or the really nice one was just a fluke).

If you like the horse, and like the parents, and see that other crosses from them are pretty good, I would buy it, but bloodlines would be secondary to me - but I will say that this horse has a heckuva pedigree!!!
Hmmm - he has a heckuva pedigree, but you don't think there is anything special about Buckeroo? I'm confused-what part of his pedigree makes it special?? Yep, nothing special about a 2 time national champion, who sires offspring after offspring, great and grand great get that are winners in the top arenas in halter and performance. Who at 29 (I Think) sires National Champion Get of Sire. I happen to think that Buckeroo is INCREDIBLE, on paper and in person (horse??) Marianne took a chance many years ago to obtain what she thought was a top horse, and he has proven her right.

I'd like to know of any other stallion who has done what Buckeroo has done. L & D Scout was a close contender, but still hasn't accomplished what Buckeroo has. Others?

I agree that you don't buy a horse JUST on pedigree, but having Buckeroo in it will make me look twice.

I would look to see if the line is CONSISTANT with producing as good or better babies. When we had the full sized horses, I saw halter champions that could not produce a thing, even when bred to other champions. They just didnt pass on the genes that made them 'it'. (Does that make sense?)

I have seen some studs that consistantly sired mostly nice foals... Now I am not talking about making them all world champions, I am talking about producing BETTER than they are.... after all, that is the goal.

When a stallion or mare, even when bred for dozens of foals, just doesnt do that, I tend to discount their capabilities as a breeding horse. If you have a stallion that has had say 35 foals, and three or four have done extremely well in the show ring, or what ever it is they do.... that is a pretty good percentage compared to the foals they've had. Take another sire who has had 100 foals, and three or four have done well in the show ring or whatever... This is certainly not as good of a record as the one who has had much less foals, but a higher percentage of 'better foals'.

Not sure if I'm making sense, and I'm not saying Buckaroo has not put out a few good ones, but, and again, this is my own personal opinion.... I think he has been 'bred to death' and as the line has grown, the quality has not stayed or improved with much of what I have seen.

I have a Buckeroo grandson and thought I'd put in my 2 cents. First of all, having Buckeroo in a pedigree doesn't mean that the horse will be exceptional, but it does increase his chances. Buckeroo has been very prepotent in producing horses that look like himself. As for getting coarse with age, our own Buckeroo grandson, Little Kings Brumby Buck, is now 11 and the photo below was taken when he turned ten. He is not sweated or conditioned to be a halter horse. He is a driving horse and versatility horse. These photos of him have not been retouched. You can decide for yourself if he has gotten coarse over the years:

WR1-Brumby.jpg

WR1-Brumby3.jpg

I would look to see if the line is CONSISTANT with producing as good or better babies. When we had the full sized horses, I saw halter champions that could not produce a thing, even when bred to other champions. They just didnt pass on the genes that made them 'it'. (Does that make sense?)
I have seen some studs that consistantly sired mostly nice foals... Now I am not talking about making them all world champions, I am talking about producing BETTER than they are.... after all, that is the goal.

When a stallion or mare, even when bred for dozens of foals, just doesnt do that, I tend to discount their capabilities as a breeding horse. If you have a stallion that has had say 35 foals, and three or four have done extremely well in the show ring, or what ever it is they do.... that is a pretty good percentage compared to the foals they've had. Take another sire who has had 100 foals, and three or four have done well in the show ring or whatever... This is certainly not as good of a record as the one who has had much less foals, but a higher percentage of 'better foals'.

Not sure if I'm making sense, and I'm not saying Buckaroo has not put out a few good ones, but, and again, this is my own personal opinion.... I think he has been 'bred to death' and as the line has grown, the quality has not stayed or improved with much of what I have seen.
I hear exactly what you're saying... you're saying what are the %. And it's actually an interesting point. It's something other breeds do track- % of point earners, % of stakes winners, % of Z-level horses, ect ect. It's something that other breeds' breeders (mouthful!) keep an eye on- if a stallion is breeding 200 mares a year and walking away with 10 success stories, is he really the better sire then the stallion who bred 20 mares and walked away with 5?

If someone were to research all the horses 1 year and older who have Buck appear in the first 3 generations of their pedigree vs how many of those horses went on to a National Top Ten, how does that % compare to other stallions?

I do NOT know the answer, nor do I pretend to know the answer. ZERO clue here, but I'd like to know just out of wanton curiosity.

I would imagine you'd have to decide who is in his "peer group". It wouldn't be fair to compare him to a stallion like FAF Scout's Good Deed, who has only been at stud a few years and has comparativly few foals (his % would sway too greatly one way or the other based on one foal) You'd have to compare him to a stallion like Egyptian King, Rowdy, Blue Boy, Ritcher's Apache, Orion Light- other stallions who sired a large # of foals and has had enough time for that influence to propagate. Could you include stallions like Shadow Oaks Paul Bunyon or Bronco Billy, who did not sire many foals and those lines virtually died out? Would it simply be based on National Top Tens, or would different caliber of wins be given different weights?

Anyway, I could see it being a very interesting research project. And potentially very controversial.

I have a Buckeroo grandson and thought I'd put in my 2 cents. First of all, having Buckeroo in a pedigree doesn't mean that the horse will be exceptional, but it does increase his chances. Buckeroo has been very prepotent in producing horses that look like himself. As for getting coarse with age, our own Buckeroo grandson, Little Kings Brumby Buck, is now 11 and the photo below was taken when he turned ten. He is not sweated or conditioned to be a halter horse. He is a driving horse and versatility horse. These photos of him have not been retouched. You can decide for yourself if he has gotten coarse over the years:
WR1-Brumby.jpg

WR1-Brumby3.jpg
He is gorgeous
default_new_shocked.gif

Latest posts

Back