Boones Little Buckeroo????????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't look just at bloodlines. There are a lot of grandsons of all of the "historic" miniature stallions who are very very far from perfect. There are also a lot of imperfect sons and daughters. The sire only gives the foal half of its genetic makeup. Even when there are two outstanding individuals that create a foal, the foal can be non-breeding quality. So...look at the stallions conformation and temerament. If both are great, then having Boones Little Buckeroo in the bloodline is just a cherry on top.

The colt Im looking at has wonderful conformation and temperment. Someone told me yesterday that Buckeroo offspring turn out with course looks when not in show shape as a adult. I just dont want to buy a handsome swan and have him turn into a ugly duckling.

The colt Im looking at has wonderful conformation and temperment. Someone told me yesterday that Buckeroo offspring turn out with course looks when not in show shape as a adult. I just dont want to buy a handsome swan and have him turn into a ugly duckling.
Look, if you turn a horse out into pasture and they get into "pasture condition" of course they're not going to look as good as if they were in show shape. If a horse is naturally coarse, they're going to look even less appealing in pasture condition then in show shape. But a horse isn't going to "get coarse" just standing out in the pasture. It has NOTHING to do with being in show condition or not.

Now here's something to consider... maturity can bring out many flaws. If you don't know what you're looking at with a young horse you might not be able to spot "oh, that won't mature too well" flaws. Take someone with you who knows youngsters and knows the bloodlines you're shopping for.

Can Buckeroo bred horses be really coarse at maturity? Yup. Are there certain traits to the line that are bad? Yup. Are there terrible examples of the bloodline out there? Yup. Can the same be said for ANY bloodline? Yup!

Long story short: look at the sire, look at the dam. If you don't like either, you probably won't like their foal. Take someone who knows Miniature youngsters and the bloodline to consult. If quality at maturity is a real issue for you and you're not willing to gamble (because youngstock is ALWAYS a gamble!!!!) then narrow your search to mostly mature adult stock.

;) Clear as mud, right? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The parents of this colt are both beautiful and I would love to own both of them. I dont expect show shape standing out in a pasture, but the way the person I talked to made it sound like I was out of my mind to even think of buying a Buckeroo horse.

You have to realize that there are people who simply do not like Buckeroo, and so would not buy any horse that has Buckeroo in the pedigree. Perhaps they've known a few Buckeroo bred horses that they didn't like & so judge all offspring as being the same, or perhaps they simply don't like Buckeroo himself & don't want him in the pedigree. Then there are other people who think he is wonderful, and believe that if he is in the pedigree then it is a wonderful horse! Then there are those in the middle, who like Buckeroo and many of his offspring, and yet realize that some of his offspring are less than perfect. Never judge a horse by just one of its parents/grandparents/ancestors!

You like both parents of this horse; it would seem they have not turned out coarse, though you don't indicate if they are kept in show condition more or less or if they are out on pasture & you like them even though they are hairy, pasture fat, and perhaps a bit potty (especially in the case of the mare, as many broodmares do end up looky potty). Keep in mind that two perfectly lovely horses can produce a foal that is nothing like either of them--so do look carefully at the horse in question if he's just a weanling or yearling, and try to determine if he will end up looking like either of his parents, or if there's some sign that he isn't of their quality. As said, buying a youngster is always a gamble; sometimes a plain foal grows into a swan, even much nicer than either parent, other times the most lovely baby grows into a very plain adult, not nearly of the quality of either parent.

Everything that has been said so far....is true.
default_yes.gif
But I would add, see if you can find photos of other offspring from these two parents. That should give you a clue as to how the colt in question will mature.
default_wink.png

I recently bought a colt with Buckaroo in the pedigree, and think he's a good looking yearling.

I hope his looks stay with him as he is going to be my future cart horse.

I have not heard the comment of the Buckaroo line being coarse, but I agree with Matt73, I looked at the individual and liked what I saw
default_smile.png

369313269.jpg

I tend like a number of the Buckeroo sons and grandsons........ Buckeroo has amazing charisma, and when whatEVER he has is crossed the RIGHT WAY the offspring can be AWESOME.

HOWEVER, if not crossed with a great mare to compliment (as goes with any combination) it can be a disaster.

We have a Buckeroo grandson, a Locomotion son. Actually, we have ownership in TWO Locomotion sons. It's always amazed me how different the foals can be........all because of the MARES.

NEVER underestimate the power of the MARE.
default_wink.png

I own 2 Buckeroo G-daughters which is weird since I was going to stay away from that bloodline. BUT not because of their bloodlines did end up with them, I LOVED their looks and conformation! One was a yearling and I knew after she would mature a bit, she was going to be stunning which as a 4 year old now. I am sooo thrilled that I own her (in my avatar). The other G-daughter has I think a not so good looking sire and is a little bigger than I like, but OH BOY can she out produce herself and she is such a sweetheart and I just love her! I looked at their conformation and how well they would cross with my stallions and that is the only reason why I have them! Not because their Buckeroo.

I have a grandson and some granddaughters... I bought them because of what they themselves were -- the bloodline was the icing on the cake
default_yes.gif

Here's an example of pasture shot versus show shot - same horse. The show shot was taken AFTER the pasture shot - plus a little bath and clipping!!

thumperstretched.jpg
Before

IMAG010.JPG
After (Actually before, but don't think about that too long or it will mess with your mind!!)

And YES - he is Buckeroo bred, a Grandson. I happen to LOVE Buckeroo, and have had a privilege of meeting him in person, er horse. It was better than meeting Elvis IMO!! But as said, some people aren't going that way in their program, which is absolutely fine.

Here's an example of pasture shot versus show shot - same horse. The show shot was taken AFTER the pasture shot - plus a little bath and clipping!!
thumperstretched.jpg
Before

IMAG010.JPG
After (Actually before, but don't think about that too long or it will mess with your mind!!)

And YES - he is Buckeroo bred, a Grandson. I happen to LOVE Buckeroo, and have had a privilege of meeting him in person, er horse. It was better than meeting Elvis IMO!! But as said, some people aren't going that way in their program, which is absolutely fine.

I would love to have your boy in pasture condition in my barn

I have a Buckeroo G-Daughter.I have shown her for 2 years in a row. She gets a bit shaggy as do all of the other horses but she never loses her grace and eligance. Her color changes are quite another thing. She goes from bay in the winter to Black in the summer and is now totally scatered with white hairs as a 4 year old.

I have jumped straight to the end, so, as usual, apologies if I am repeating what has already been said.

I love Buckeroo with a passion....BUT, and it is a HUGE "but" if I had a dollar for every "genuine grandson of Buckeroo" that I have seen and lamented over, I should be very rich!!

The Eberths have capitalised excellently on these bloodlines, they are fantastic breeders and fantastic marketers, so an awful lot of Buckeroo colts got "put out there" fairly early on.

Some were brilliant, some were so so.

It seems to me that both sorts got bred!

So I would never buy a colt on the fact that he was the grandson, or even the son, of a famous horse.

My own junior stallion (gosh, he's five this year!!) is a son of Little Kings Double Extasy, who has a show record in his own right, and is by Double Destiny.

Yes, I was attracted to the pedigree, but he has a very nice dam, as well, and he was the colour and pattern I wanted (I was buying a scrawny 18 month colt, it is unfair to judge an animal at this age) He was also basically sound and around the height I wanted (He actually came to be a lot smaller than anticipated in the end, just 29") AND, and this is one of the most important bits, he was affordable!!!

So, all things being equal, I took a leap of faith, and he has turned out to be a rather nice animal.

He is not everything I want, but his foals are better than he is, and that for me is the sign of good breeding.

If this horse ticks all or most (depending on his age) of your boxes, and you are not having to remortgage the farm to buy him, I would go for it.

I do not, however, EVER buy a horse as a herd sire, unless it is full grown and already performing this task and has lots of babies on the ground to prove it is what I want.

I but a colt as a prospective herd sire, and I am prepared to geld and rehome him if it does not work out.

I don't post often, but felt that I needed to put my two cents worth in here. I personally have admired Boones Little Buckeroo since 1997 when we first got into miniatures. This is a horse that has stood the test of time. I must wonder if any stallion will ever again win "World Champion Get Of Sire" at the age of 29. I got to watch that on the internet and I cannot explain my emotions. When those three beautiful buckskin Buckeroo sons and daughters entered the ring, they were stunning. It was a large class too, but they clearly stood out. My thoughts are that Buckeroo may not have ever achieved what he has if he were in the hands of just any breeder, but he ended up where he was meant to be, with people who love him and realize his strengths and weaknesses and know exactly how to cross him to create foals year after year like the ones in the Get of Sire Class at the World Show. I believe that Buckeroo has close to 400 foals. Now some of those foals have fallen into the hands of good breeders and then some of them have gone to not so good of breeders. Can you blame Buckeroo if someone bought a son of his and crossed him on poor quality mares? I would think not. This does happen quite often. People will buy a good stallion and breed him to very mediocre mares and hope for a miracle. Then those foals are out there and they are grandsons and granddaughters of Buckeroo and they go on to be bred to mediocre horses and so on. I have heard several comments over the years about Buckeroo, like it is all hype, I don't want Buckeroo in my program, it is all advertising....yadda yadda yadda. Well we are all entitled to our opinions as that is what any sport or game or aspect of life is all about, but my opinion is that he has been marketed brilliantly (as he so deserves to be), he has achieved a status that has yet to be surpassed by any other miniature stallion and he is a genetic masterpiece. I feel blessed to have four granddaughters and two grandsons of Buckeroo here at the farm. I love all of my horses, but they are my most prized possesions and they are also the ones that people are drawn to when they come to the farm. They have a presence about them that is indescribable and will be in my breeding program as long as we are into miniatures.

Now that I have revealed my feelings toward the Buckeroo bloodline, I would say to you that if the horse was what I wanted then I would buy it. To me having Buckeroo in his pedigree is just a plus, but it is the horse that counts.

I don't post often, but felt that I needed to put my two cents worth in here. I personally have admired Boones Little Buckeroo since 1997 when we first got into miniatures. This is a horse that has stood the test of time. I must wonder if any stallion will ever again win "World Champion Get Of Sire" at the age of 29. I got to watch that on the internet and I cannot explain my emotions. When those three beautiful buckskin Buckeroo sons and daughters entered the ring, they were stunning. It was a large class too, but they clearly stood out. My thoughts are that Buckeroo may not have ever achieved what he has if he were in the hands of just any breeder, but he ended up where he was meant to be, with people who love him and realize his strengths and weaknesses and know exactly how to cross him to create foals year after year like the ones in the Get of Sire Class at the World Show. I believe that Buckeroo has close to 400 foals. Now some of those foals have fallen into the hands of good breeders and then some of them have gone to not so good of breeders. Can you blame Buckeroo if someone bought a son of his and crossed him on poor quality mares? I would think not. This does happen quite often. People will buy a good stallion and breed him to very mediocre mares and hope for a miracle. Then those foals are out there and they are grandsons and granddaughters of Buckeroo and they go on to be bred to mediocre horses and so on. I have heard several comments over the years about Buckeroo, like it is all hype, I don't want Buckeroo in my program, it is all advertising....yadda yadda yadda. Well we are all entitled to our opinions as that is what any sport or game or aspect of life is all about, but my opinion is that he has been marketed brilliantly (as he so deserves to be), he has achieved a status that has yet to be surpassed by any other miniature stallion and he is a genetic masterpiece. I feel blessed to have four granddaughters and two grandsons of Buckeroo here at the farm. I love all of my horses, but they are my most prized possesions and they are also the ones that people are drawn to when they come to the farm. They have a presence about them that is indescribable and will be in my breeding program as long as we are into miniatures.
Now that I have revealed my feelings toward the Buckeroo bloodline, I would say to you that if the horse was what I wanted then I would buy it. To me having Buckeroo in his pedigree is just a plus, but it is the horse that counts.
Nicely said
default_smile.png

This is like saying all apples are red
default_smile.png
There are plenty of nice offspring and some not so nice. The thing about Buckeroo is he has such a high standing in the miniature horse industry, even if the style of miniatures have changed over the years, he can be bred to top notch mares and still achieve offspring that are in demand today. He has earned his place to be what he has become. He has had a huge impact on the industry.

I love the Buckeroo look, But I have to agree with everone else, look at the horse for what it is, then at the bloodline.

Latest posts

Back