Boarding Mini's...just curious

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debjs

Reaction score
I am just curious about the demand for boarding mini's. It seems there are a ton of places to board horses and pony's, but are there places that are looking to board mini's only? Does anybody have any idea as to how much is being charged to board a mini? And what ammenties would someone be looking for that boards there mini? Thanks

Great question, I was toying with the idea of taking in some mini horse boarders myself, is that why your asking the question?

Great question, I was toying with the idea of taking in some mini horse boarders myself, is that why your asking the question?
It has crossed my mind, but I would have to look into it further. Find out what's important to people to have available to them..etc I am just a small private (empty) barn
default_sad.png
Hoping for a rescue to love, and thought about possibly boarding to another mini. So many ideas spinning in my brain, don't know which way to go!

I board both of my horses. I pay $50 per month per horse. I buy my own grain. I usually clean my own stalls as well, unless I'm away for vacation or somthing like that, then they do it. I do it to be nice since she gives me an awesome rate, but stall cleaning is included in the price i pay. It's not a super fancy show barn these days, but there is an indoor arena, two round pens outside, a bathroom, and a tack room. It used to be one of the nicest barns in the area, but the barn manager is getting older, and some things are in need of repair, or not as clean as they used to be.

They charge $250 for a big horse.

We board five minis currently. We've also had a pony in the past. What we charge varies depending on what type of environment the owner wants. We have either pasture or stall/turnout. We've tried several different approaches in the past but have now decided we will only do full-service boarding. Meaning we provide the feed, hay, supplements, wormer, etc. It was just too much to have people bringing in their own feed, etc. Storing it, managing it to ensure there was always enough. Reminding folks their horse was due for worming. It's just easier for us to do it all ourselves. Sometimes I think it sure would be easier to just have our own horses to care for, but our current boarders are really nice people and their horses are easy to deal with.

If you are going to provide boarding services you should make sure you have a contract you feel covers you and limits your liability. Realize that your boarders may want to come out and see their horses at any time without any notice. You need to be able to trust them to close gates and leave your property secure. If you don't have a restroom in your barn they are probably going to need access to your home. Just some things to think about.

Latest posts

Back