Bitter apple

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlesteppers

Reaction score
Friend of mine is breeding donkeys..she is using bitter apple on the udder for weaning purposes..

Been wondering if this would work for our minis?? Seems like a good idea
default_unsure.png
:
default_wacko.png
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems a little complicated to me.....
default_unsure.png
:

My advice, seperate the mare and baby so the baby has a companion. I seperate mine over a fence line and then into the barn for show prep. I haven't had any problems with this method and my mares actually will wean THEMSELVES off their babys at about 3 months. They could care less where their babies are! We (as in us HUMANS) put more of an emotional attachment to the mare/foal bond than most mares do. If you are matter a fact about the process, it's a lot less emotional stress on EVERYONE involved.
default_yes.gif
:

I've always done cold turkey, and just cut the mares off their grain for a few weeks (unless needed). I've never had any problems, with hundreds of mares.

No, sorry, no "cold turkey" for my mares- far too stressful for both and the mares really DO worry where their babies are.

I also consider three months far too young for weaning- a foal needs it's Mama for far more than just food.

I can take my four month olds away form Mama for long periods of time, hours even and so long as they have each other and food they are happy (they are in sight of Mama though) .

After a few hours Mama is ready to have them back, and getting a little anxious.

The first "batch" is coming up for weaning and soon, one day, they just will not get turned back out.

They will be in the paddock they have been coming into and they will be in full sight of Mama.

After a few days/a week or so, they will be turned out in adjacent fields and will not lose sight of Mama until I sort out the winter grazing.

OK maybe I anthropomorphize a bit about their feelings- but not overly so.

I would rather err on the side of discretion on this one, I am afraid.

Edited to add:

I have been doing this a long time, for myself and others, so Yes, I have weaned "hundreds" of foals in my time!!

Last edited by a moderator:
We've weaned both gradually and cold turkey..........both are stressful. No way around it.

I would think the bitter apple would add to the stress.........Baby would be frustrated over nursing and the mare would be making milk because baby would be TRYING to nurse and then would back-off......so that would add to the frustration too.

The only stress-free weaning I've been a part of was when we left the baby on mom longer than usual, and mom finally started kickig the foal off of her on her own. We've only done it twice (for two different reasons) and one happened at a little over 6 months, the other was at 8 months.

MA

For stress factor, I don't do cold turkey, either.

If I know a foal is sold or going to a show, I give them a good month to adjust to being without milk and/or momma, and they always have a buddy though that changes in stages, too. I need them to learn that they will be fine if they are in a stall or paddock alone or a period of time (as in not forever, just overnight or say they are at a show in their own stall, etc.).

I've weaned all my foals this way and so far, have not had ulcers or colics, which I think are at higher risk possibly if the foal's not adjusting well.

I usually don't start much before four or five months, the weaning process.

My mares and foals can almost always see each other through their stall separators and through fences.

No clue about the bitter apple, but I'm betting it would not be much of a deterrent.

Liz M.

I do cold turkey also. I agree, when our foals are about 3 months old, both Mama and baby are just as happy, Mama alone and baby with new a new buddy or two his/her age! I've had aged horses that go through a heck of alot more stress just being separated from their favorite pasturemate!
default_wacko.png
:

I also agree, stress is oftentimes what WE make it.

I found that even when you do it slowly and then make the "final" separation it is still hard. One thing I worry about is when a mare is determined to get to her foal and gets hurt in the process.

I do believe we put our human emotions into this too. Creating even more stress for us.

We wean 'cold turkey' and have every year. We wait until the youngest is at leat 3 1/2 months old and wean all at the same time so they can stay together. This year we have 7 foals and 3 llamas and we weaned them all yesterday. There was a little fussing in the morning and then a little again when we got the mares into the drylot for the night, but the foals seem fine and are all eating and playing together. The mares were just standing around last night when I checked on them and weren't overly upset about the little ones being gone. The oldest was just over 5 months and the youngest 3 1/2 months.

We also wean by the moon sign.

Angie

Latest posts

Back