Bitless Drivng -Any thought?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ann knight

Reaction score
Has anyone used a bitless bridle for driving ? I like the idea /concept and wondered if any one has any reccomendations , thoughts regarding them ....Thanks...Ann

I have no use for it myself. I do not think bits a cruel and unusual "punishment", and do not have a horse that cannot be fitted with a bit for any medical or mental reason.

To tell you the honest truth, I find the "cross-under-the-jaw" types of bitless bridle a receipe for disaster much moreso than a bit. So many folks who ride with them think they are doing their horse a big favour...getting that big old cruel bit out of their mouths...when all along, they are using nerve pressure and pain to control their horse with the bitless bridle.

Besides that, they might have a place at home, in a controlled environment, but I have heard the horror stories of horses bolting and the riders being unable to stop them, and the nerve damage done to the underjaw area as a result of a contant, harsh contact with no release; some horses left unable to use their tongue.

And...I show, and as of yet (thankfully) the bitless driving bridle is unacceptable in the showring.

I guess you can kind of tell this is one of my "things". LOL!

Thanks Sue for your imput ! Gosh you have been a great help to me and I appreciate it
aktion033.gif
. ....Ann (p.s I have a few things I am passionate about too
biggrin.gif
)

I'm sure you will get a lot of answers on this! :)

My thoughts are against it, it's just too easy for the horse to evade and have total control. I don't think it's safe long term. You will get away with it, until you don't.

However if someone did use one, as I know that Maplegum does, I don't have any direct issue with that person. :) As long as myself or my horses aren't endangered by the use of it I think of it more as it's that persons decision, and what they decided ultimately is none of my business. What works for them and their horses is great for them.
default_wink.png

I wish the best to those who use it, and I wouldn't hesitate to ride bitless. But driving is just a whole 'nother ball game.
default_biggrin.png

Well I'll be the one to go against the grain here.

I drive Bailey in a bitless bridle. He has never had a bit in his mouth. I do not have any control issues with him at all. In fact, I have had many comments on how responsive he is.

I have known, and seen MANY MANY horses out of control with bits. Both ridden and driven. It certainly does not stop them. You will find a lot of horses with bits actually 'run away' from the pain a bit can cause if used harshly.

Our bitless bridle works great for us. It can be a heated topic - you either like them or you don't.

I'm of the opinion, don't knock it until you try it.
default_smile.png

Leonie
default_smile.png

I'm of the opinion, don't knock it until you try it
Ahh, but I have.
default_wink.png
At least in riding. I always started my riding horses off with a side-pull, then went on to either a bosel, then to a bit, or straight from side-pull to bit.

Maplegum, do you use a side-pull type of bridle, or the cross-under? It is the cross under than I dislike the most, as it will do the damage I refer to.

As far as a run away horse, running away from the pain of an incorrectly used bit...the same holds true of these cross-under bitless bridles. What I find, is that most people using a bit have some idea of the damage they can inflict...while the bitless folks seem to think it is all sunshine and roses...no harm can be done. It is just sooo not true.

Ahh, but I have.
default_wink.png
At least in riding. I always started my riding horses off with a side-pull, then went on to either a bosel, then to a bit, or straight from side-pull to bit.

Maplegum, do you use a side-pull type of bridle, or the cross-under? It is the cross under than I dislike the most, as it will do the damage I refer to.

As far as a run away horse, running away from the pain of an incorrectly used bit...the same holds true of these cross-under bitless bridles. What I find, is that most people using a bit have some idea of the damage they can inflict...while the bitless folks seem to think it is all sunshine and roses...no harm can be done. It is just sooo not true.
Of course damage can be done with bitless bridles, I agree. I do use a cross under bridle and I am very aware of that.

I guess I am lucky that Bailey is so responsive and listens to my voice commands and is a VERY laid back horse. I very rarely have to use any pressure what so ever to get him to stop. I just use my voice and he pulls up right away.

Using a bitless is just a choice I made at the time of training Bailey. I don't always use techniques just because it's the 'norm'. I'm known for breaking all the rules and stiring the pot. People in the show ring were horiffied that I showed Bailey in his full coat without clipping him. But guess what? We took out 1st place!
default_aktion033.gif

Like I said, bitless bridles work for Bailey and I. I'm very happy with it and if I found that I had no control, we would be using a bit.

Leonie
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back