Bites, even, perfect, ok, a little over....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minibossmare

Reaction score
Ok, my idea of a good bite is even top and bottom match up perfect. So many times I have went to look at a horse that I was told it has a good bite.....and it is a little over, not matching up perfect, is this still acceptable, how far over is still ok, or considered good?

A horse with an underbite, or severe parrot mouth is easy to tell. But I would like to see different bites, and what is considered good.......or still ok.

I know when I inquire on horses, I always hear, a PERFECT bite, a GOOD bite, or their bite is OK.....

Would appreciate pictures and your opinion.

Thanks.

Always make sure their head is level when opening and checking bite.

Raised head can make a bite off.
default_wink.png
:

Only pics I could find is baby mouth without teeth right now.

MichaelsMouth3.jpg
MichaelsMouth2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be interested in this one as well, I hear that too - bite is perfect, bite is good, and bite is okay - what is the real difference in those answers and what is okay? I have seen numerous horses with a very slight overbites and was told that is acceptable, just not underbites?

Also, do you worry about alignment at all?

I really would like to know how much over is still considered ok.......picture wise.

According to the AMHR rulebook... a "good bite" means that there is no more than half-a-tooth off. So if it doesn't match up PERFECTLY then it's still a GOOD BITE and acceptable.

Remember when inquiring about a horse, people will use all sorts of terms... okay, good, perfect, etc. so it's important to see pictures.

As mentioned, how you hold the head makes a difference sometimes. Be sure to open the lips when the horse is in a normal, relaxed position. These little guys are short, so sometimes people wrench their heads way up to try to see!

Andrea

I don't have a way to post photos here, even if I had some(just have never taken the time to 'go through the process' of finding an on-line site to store them, learn how to post, etc., etc.-excuses, excuses....!)

I will say that I have no concerns AT ALL about a mature horse that exhibits a modest overbite, or even a VERY modest underbite-by that I mean 1/4("very modest") to 1/3 tooth("modest")depth or less. It IS true that a miniature's 'chin' should not be lifted when evaluating tooth alignment--'lifting' the chin will tend to minimize an UNDERBITE, OR maximize an overbite, so be aware. In my experience, LOTS of horses, big and small, may have a slight overbite; IMO, it is more common than an absolutely 'perfect' upper/lower incisor alignment, and underbites are less common than either. There is a reason why the rulebooks allow up to a half a tooth depth 'off' to still be considered acceptable!

Something not addressed in the rules, but which should also be considered in evalution of the mouth, is whether a horse manifests a 'wry' mouth,or one that is 'off' side to side, which can present a whole other set of potential problems.

Margo

penbillybobteeth1.jpg

penbillybobteeth2.jpg

How bout these, what adjective do you use? LOL!!!

We called them "Billy Bob" teeth!

This was taken before the vet worked on them, they're still odd, but they chew properly now!!

Oh, and this is a gelding.

This is how I translate the terms ---

Perfect = teeth are perfectly matched up evenly.

Good = teeth are just a tiny bit off, by just the edge of the teeth.

Okay= teeth are off by a half tooth or LESS.

I agree that actually seeing them for yourself is the best method of all........

MA

WOW Kendra, thanks for being so good about posting those pictures! Way to be brave! I am glad you posted those - perfect example of how someone could "tell" you the bite is "on" and you get the horse home and you go...what the HEY??? =) Good pics!

Here is my mare, she's 11, you'll see that slight over-ledge of her top teeth, that's what I just had the vet out to grind off! Her bite is back on now but even as so with her age, if that was a permenant over-bite I wouldn't personally be worried about it at all.

teeth2-1.jpg

Here is one that is a little over. I think it is always good to get both front and side views as they can look very different, I can't find the side view for this one.

IMG_2161SmallWebview.jpg

Here is a colt:

IMG_3818MediumWebview.jpg

I notice now I did have his head pulled up to high, shame on me!!!

IMG_3817MediumWebview.jpg

Latest posts

Back