Birthalarm/foalingalarm - which one do you use?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epona Stable Belgium

Reaction score
Who's using which alarm and is it easy to use? Do you like it?

Still looking to buy a foal alarm.

May need some testimonials.

Thank's!!!!

default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
We use the Foaling Alert and really like it. It can be used on all size horses. We use it on the minis and the percherons and works great on both. We also have two cameras per stall.

I am sorry, but I do not understand the term "sleeping stand". Can you explain what you mean please?

Joanne

I use the breeder alert (the box that hangs under the halter and sets off a pager when on its side), along with cameras. You can get false alarms, obvously if your mare lays out flat to nap, which doesn't usually happen too often, but some other ways are if your stall walls are short enough for them to rest their head on. My foaling stalls are tall enough they horses can't rest thei heads on and feel like they have privacy, but short enough they can peek over to see the other horse. Now and then they can also go off if you have wall mounted feeders and the mare catches it on the feeder or water bucket. But that isn't often and usually only lasts a minute or less. I also have one specific mare that will lay down, sitting up and rests her head on her front legs in a way that turns the box sideways and sets off the beeper, but she is the only one.

Hi Joanne,

I've found here in Europe 2 halter alarms with a sleeping stand, that means that if your mare is lying completly down you wont get an alert, only when she stands up and will get down again than you will be called by your alarm.

It's in case if you have mares sleeping flat.

But... one is not cheap at all and the other one is not selling any of his products, they stopped selling their alarms.

Is it possible that Equipage has this function?

@ versatility

I know were the mare is sleeping so I think se won't lay down completly on that side, that side is the shorter side of her stable.

I hope she's a good girl and won't lay down flat in her stable every night.

I'm looking to see wich model is the best, A normal one or one who call's on your mobile.

I was thinking for one who call's your phone as I'm working and you never know if they will foal before foalingdate.

I use Foal Alert (Equipage) and really like it. I can get some sleep knowing that if they go down it will beep me. The only downfall is when they sleep laying down it goes off. But I also have a camera on the mares. If it goes off I turn on the camera to see what they are doing. I would rather be woken up several times a night with false alarms than miss a foaling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Epona I have some mares that lay down flat once to foal.

Some of these may get up and down several times and not set off the alarm until they lay down flat and push. The system you are discussing might miss a birth.

I agree with cretahillsgal I would rather have a false alarm then miss a birth.

Cameras can be set up so you can see the stalls from any computer or even a cell phone if it has internet access.

Back