Big Sisters/Brothers program

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone on here has participated in the Big Sisters or Big Brothers program. I am speaking with the coordinator at my local office regarding this, though I am still deciding if I have the time to do it. If you have, could you tell me about your experiences with it? It's something I've been thinking about for a couple of years off and on.

Thanks!

Hi Lisa,

I thought about this a lot too and would be interested in seeing the responses. I think that if you go back to when you were a kid wanting to be around horses, if this is how you were like most of us, you would give anything to have a "mentor" take you to be around them. With that said, you could ask if they had an "animal lover" that was looking for a big sis to hang out with at the barn and learn about horses. I had two "barn rats" that turned out to be the best kids and adults and both still have horses. They were not with the Big Sister program, but really no difference, they just wanted to be near horses and there are a lot of kids out there that do. If you have time on a weekend, you might find you enjoy teaching someone all about your horses. JMO.

Nancy

I did it for a while quite a few years ago. Late 80's early 90's. I quite enjoyed it. I believe that commitment was about 3 hours a week. You could split it up if you wanted or do more if everyone was agreeable. They had some special events to go to like free days at the zoo kind of things. The did say it is about your time and try not to spend lots of money on them all they time. It doesn't require you to always do things that cost money.

When I was with my ex we were both big brother and sister to a set of twins (both boys) and I just loved them and we had lots of fun. But unfortunately their mother kind of soured my experience by cheating the system. Had husband living there while supposed to be gone, bought themselves hugely expensive gifts at Christmas (diamond rings and professional drum sets) and signed the family up for all the christmas hampers and would hide the other hampers as they were being dropped off. The stuff covered the whole living room and she was proud of herself. Afterwords, I had another little boy who was cute, it was sad and he needed lots of reassurances and would call constantly and crying that he wanted me to come and get him. Sometimes I just couldn't and it would break my heart. They eventually moved away.

It can be extremely rewarding and lots of good experiences but it can also be a little hard on the heart. But I don't regret doing it. After that last little guy I needed a break and with work it was really hard to find enough time. I have thought from time to time doing it again.

Also, there is another program where you would take out a special needs child (you can determine what you feel you can handle), it gives the parents a break and it allows the special needs child to experience things the parents may not be able to do with their child. Some parents are too scared, overwhelmed or embarrassed to do some things with their child or also it allows the parent to give another child some one on one attention while the special needs child is out. You actually get paid to do it and they cover the costs of whatever you do, whether it's a movie, dinner, camping, etc. A friend of mine started doing this many years ago with a down's syndrome boy and they are still friends today over 20 years later. He was like a member of their family. She even took him to Costa Rica with her a few times. If you want you can PM me anytime if you have more questions.

I did it for a while quite a few years ago. Late 80's early 90's. I quite enjoyed it. I believe that commitment was about 3 hours a week. You could split it up if you wanted or do more if everyone was agreeable. They had some special events to go to like free days at the zoo kind of things. The did say it is about your time and try not to spend lots of money on them all they time. It doesn't require you to always do things that cost money. When I was with my ex we were both big brother and sister to a set of twins (both boys) and I just loved them and we had lots of fun. But unfortunately their mother kind of soured my experience by cheating the system. Had husband living there while supposed to be gone, bought themselves hugely expensive gifts at Christmas (diamond rings and professional drum sets) and signed the family up for all the christmas hampers and would hide the other hampers as they were being dropped off. The stuff covered the whole living room and she was proud of herself. Afterwords, I had another little boy who was cute, it was sad and he needed lots of reassurances and would call constantly and crying that he wanted me to come and get him. Sometimes I just couldn't and it would break my heart. They eventually moved away.

It can be extremely rewarding and lots of good experiences but it can also be a little hard on the heart. But I don't regret doing it. After that last little guy I needed a break and with work it was really hard to find enough time. I have thought from time to time doing it again.

Also, there is another program where you would take out a special needs child (you can determine what you feel you can handle), it gives the parents a break and it allows the special needs child to experience things the parents may not be able to do with their child. Some parents are too scared, overwhelmed or embarrassed to do some things with their child or also it allows the parent to give another child some one on one attention while the special needs child is out. You actually get paid to do it and they cover the costs of whatever you do, whether it's a movie, dinner, camping, etc. A friend of mine started doing this many years ago with a down's syndrome boy and they are still friends today over 20 years later. He was like a member of their family. She even took him to Costa Rica with her a few times. If you want you can PM me anytime if you have more questions.
:DOH! I never knew how rewarding it could be.

Just going out of your way with little everyday things can make a great difference on other peoples lives. Ever paid for the person's meal/coffee/whatever behind you at a drive through? I've done it a few times and LOVE seeing their reaction before I drive away!
default_wub.png
default_biggrin.png

I did it for a while quite a few years ago. Late 80's early 90's. I quite enjoyed it. I believe that commitment was about 3 hours a week. You could split it up if you wanted or do more if everyone was agreeable. They had some special events to go to like free days at the zoo kind of things. The did say it is about your time and try not to spend lots of money on them all they time. It doesn't require you to always do things that cost money. When I was with my ex we were both big brother and sister to a set of twins (both boys) and I just loved them and we had lots of fun. But unfortunately their mother kind of soured my experience by cheating the system. Had husband living there while supposed to be gone, bought themselves hugely expensive gifts at Christmas (diamond rings and professional drum sets) and signed the family up for all the christmas hampers and would hide the other hampers as they were being dropped off. The stuff covered the whole living room and she was proud of herself. Afterwords, I had another little boy who was cute, it was sad and he needed lots of reassurances and would call constantly and crying that he wanted me to come and get him. Sometimes I just couldn't and it would break my heart. They eventually moved away.

:DOH! I never knew how rewarding it could be.

Just going out of your way with little everyday things can make a great difference on other peoples lives. Ever paid for the person's meal/coffee/whatever behind you at a drive through? I've done it a few times and LOVE seeing their reaction before I drive away!
default_wub.png
default_biggrin.png
Midnight Star I want you for a friend, you have a great heart!!!!
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back