Big Horse People --

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess is grade QH or quarter-pony. I don't think he is appendix -- i have a paint that is about half thoroughbred and is built totally different. But, you know how that goes, they do not always look like their heritage! he is precious tho!

jennifer
saludando.gif

Thank you all for the input and comments.

I just bought Jesse this past Thursday, but from what I know he really seems like a great horse. I feel very at ease around him and handling him which is a huge plus for me since I was attacked by my last full size horse .... twice.

Jesse doesn't have to be "anything" as far as breed, just curious .... If I wanted 'something' I would've paid for it.
wink.gif

Nicole,

Short term plans; I just plan to work with Jesse on lots of ground work and see what he made of. Then in the future, riding is possible. I am a little too big for a pony to do much riding besides just pleasure or trail.

He has already done pony parties and rides children from ages 3 - 14 with a handler, but under saddle without a handler on the ground he does need some work as he likes to move out fast. The whole western riding and cutting thing is new to me since I am an english rider, so I am hoping between my cowgirl friend and myself we can get him going steadily both english and western.

I vote for QH x TB. I have a bay mare, Missy that is 10-months old registered QH with TB in her pedigree they make excellent racing and barrel racing horses.

And they have a super great disposition! You have a beautiful fellow!!!

I'd have to say he'd be a grade Quarter Horse. A lot of the reiners and cutters are around the 14 hand mark now. Maybe he is registered but the papers got lost somewhere along the way. Otherwise I'd say he'd be a Quarter Horse X Arab as I've known a lot of those Arab crosses who haven't inherited the dishy head. I'd make this as my guess because IMO his feet aren't much like a typical Quarter Horse, whch is a good thing by the way
smile.gif
Other than that I think QH and Spanish Mustang mix is also a pretty good guess as mustangs are smallish and a little coarse, like your guy.

I don't agree with the QH X TB. He just doesn't have the legs for that. Even the smaller TBs have lots of leg, and hes not showing the leg, fineness of bone and depth in the chest. A lot of TBs look like fish from the front (lots of depth but very little width), but he's showing some width but not as much depth as you'd see in a Thoroughbred....so thats why I don't agree with the QH X TB theory.

In any case he looks like a real tough, kind horse, the kind of horse I'd like to ride.
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back