Big Horse People --

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boss Mare

Reaction score
Jesse is 8 years old and stands 14.0 hh. Extremely well built, though these photos don't do him justice. In person he actually looks dark buckskin, but could very well also be bay. He has a few white hairs on his forehead and a white patch on his fetlock, no other white markings.

He's trained for cutting. Nothing spooks this horse whatsoever, he doesn't even flinch. Extremely alert and very much into his surroundings and everything that's going on. Though, very laid back and affectionate and forgiving.

I am thinking definitely Quarterhorse x ????. I was mentioned from his seller that she thought he was a Quaterhorse x Spanish Mustang mix. From those who have seen him in person I've had everything from Quarterhorse x Hackney, Quarterhorse x Arabian and Quarterhorse x Morgan. I know we'll never know for sure, but it'll be fun to get everyone's input.

Photos below:

JesseJames30.jpg

JesseJames37.jpg

JesseJames17.jpg

smile.gif
Whatever he is he's lovely! Since his head looks a little long for a QH I guess I would vote for QH/Morgan cross. Not dishy enough for Arab.

Good luck with your nice new friend. Maxine

I am also thinking Quarterhorse x Morgan ........he is beautiful......have fun with him.....and regardless of his breed, he is priceless if he doesn't spook at anything and if he is trained for cutting he is going to be a hoot to ride...how fun! I am jealous!!
aktion033.gif

saludando.gif

I think he is just a grade quarter horse. I like him. Morgans were mixed with

quarter horses way back that may be why people think he has morgan in him.

Linda B

I have to agree with Linda, I think he is just a grade QH. Many people don't realize QH actually originated in Colonial America just like the Morgan (some old OH books insist Figure, the original Morgan, was a OH!) so they have common ancestors.

I worked with both Morgans and QH for years (have raised QH for almost 22 years)and I just don't see Morgan - maybe I would in person. His head looks longer than it should be becasue his ears are tipped back in the 2nd shot so his head looks longer than it is- actually he may not have a halter head but it is almost in porportion to his body (length of head should = length of neck which should also= length of back)

Whatever, he is a pretty boy! He is worth his weight in gold just for his disposition! He also looks buckskin to me althou I guess he could be a very light bay- again I guess I need to see him in person.

I would guess he is simply a grade QH. He sounds like a wonderful boy. You should feel lucky. Really good, sound, well-minded riding horses aren't easy to find, not in our neck of the woods anyhow. Enjoy him!

I'd say QH/TB or simply grade QH. Sorry guys, Morgans are what I know best, and I'm just not seeing any Morgan in there.

I always find it amusing how so many people, when they see a pretty horse of unknown parentage, say that the horse must have Morgan in it. It's a compliment to the breed!
biggrin.gif

King Ranch did have some Morgans that they used in their QH breeding program and of course the old cavalry remount programs used Morgans in their breeding programs, so there IS plenty of Morgan breeding in many of the grade ranch horses of the west, as well as some in the QH breed.

I'm not a full-sized horse expert by any means.....but just from my personal experience with what is in our own backyard (and what people are keeping in our region), I'd say you have a Quarterhorse - somthing-or -other!
laugh.gif

MA

Obviously some problems are International!! Over here, if it's Grey it must be an Arab X Welsh!! Usually it's actually a Connemara, it just lost it's papers and it sounds more romantic to say Arab X Welsh!!! Can he not be a Quarter Pony?? He's a nice boy, why does he have to be a particular breed???

My guess would be just a grade Quarter horse. Regardless, of his breed- he seems like he is a genuine "sweetheart". I dont see any Morgan in him. Jane..its not just international--up my way, any gray horses also become Arabians or at least half Arabs.( or any horse that has a prancier gait!) Dont see Connemaras up here, so they cant call them that.. Corinne

I see several aspects of his build that make me think he could be a QH/Peruvian Paso cross! Whatever he is, with all those positive attributes, I'll bet you thoroughly enjoy him!!

He looks a lot like my daughter's Anglo-Arab to me, but actually has a much prettier head. Pride doesn't have the Arabian head and actually looks more like a warmblood, but he is 50% Arabian for sure. SO you could have a QH-Arabian or a QH-Thoroughbred. I don't see Morgan either. He is a beautiful horse though.

th_IMG_3051.jpg

th_IMG_2885.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont see Morgan or Arab in him at all thats for sure.

I would say grade QH possibley QH x TB or maybe either sire or dam was appendix QH and thats the little bit of Thoroughbred I see.

Little Mr Image will probley end up looking close to that color! Jesse is very pretty. Do you plan to ride him?

He's a nice boy, why does he have to be a particular breed???

Im sure she is just wondering for curiousity sake as I have with my un registered horses.
wink.gif

EDIT: Second look at the pictures and I would just call him a grade QH - a pretty one though!

Last edited:
That horse could pass for an Azteca (quarter x andalusian). He looks like a quarter horse until you look at his muscels. He has the smooth muscels of an Andalusian. And my pure bred Andy mare had the same primitive markings before she greyed out! Nice boy.

I would have to put in my vote at Qtr/Arab... I have one built at lot like that....he's 7/8 arab and 1/8 Qtr (Paint)... this is him (Bubba.... my older guy).

Bubba_look.jpg

Latest posts

Back