Big Horse Labor

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini-Max (Christine)

Reaction score
Well, I rushed home from downtown louisville after my daughter Cheyenne called me frantic that our new mare Dollar was either colic or labor. She is due Feb 28 our first baby horse! Yikes. We bought her from wonderful people in Ohio.

My mom looked out and saw her laying down in the pasture. Well she gave a few minutes and sent Chey out to check her. Well as chey approached she was breathing heavy and raising her head. Dollar jumped up to her feet and started following chey. Chey wanted her to walk around with her. Well she took about 10 steps and dropped, I mean dropped to the ground. Chey ran to the house screaming. That was my first phone call from her screaming and crying. Well my neighbor came over after my mom called him and Dollar stayed down for about 15 minutes and he could see her contracting and she was pushing. He has seen a few horses deliver.

She finally got up again and is having some tighting in her belly but nothing like that and her water has not broke? Do you think we are at the begging stages of labor? She is walking around and breathing heavy at times. She is eating hay and drinking lots of water. She is having a lot of gas and has pooped four times since she started this. I got her tail wrapped and the straw down in case. Her teets are very hard and she is very soft in the back end.

Her previous owners said she never went early,but noticed on our barn cam she had gotten quite big latley and we talked about her the other night. Her husband said I better start watching her with how round she was getting.

Any suggestions about the first stage of labor? Will it last this long? Will horses slow down due to people coming out to check?

Thanks for your help. Sorry about they typos, I am a nervous wreck.
default_wacko.png
:

Christine

I'm sorry you are so worried Christine... I wish I could help! My big mare has had two foals but seriously hid them both from me... she waited, knowing I would be coming out to check, and then popped them out while I was inside. With the second we were checking her milk with the water test strips and pinpointed her to deliver within 24 hours, slept outside 2 nights in a row, the next morning my husband had to work and i had to take my daughter to the doctor and as soon as she heard the second truck leave she had the foal... what she didn't know is we still had a kid at home, so at least i got wet baby pictures...

I will keep you and your daughter and your horse in my prayers, please let us know how it goes!!

Well, I rushed home from downtown louisville after my daughter Cheyenne called me frantic that our new mare Dollar was either colic or labor. She is due Feb 28 our first baby horse! Yikes. We bought her from wonderful people in Ohio.

My mom looked out and saw her laying down in the pasture. Well she gave a few minutes and sent Chey out to check her. Well as chey approached she was breathing heavy and raising her head. Dollar jumped up to her feet and started following chey. Chey wanted her to walk around with her. Well she took about 10 steps and dropped, I mean dropped to the ground. Chey ran to the house screaming. That was my first phone call from her screaming and crying. Well my neighbor came over after my mom called him and Dollar stayed down for about 15 minutes and he could see her contracting and she was pushing. He has seen a few horses deliver.

She finally got up again and is having some tighting in her belly but nothing like that and her water has not broke? Do you think we are at the begging stages of labor? She is walking around and breathing heavy at times. She is eating hay and drinking lots of water. She is having a lot of gas and has pooped four times since she started this. I got her tail wrapped and the straw down in case. Her teets are very hard and she is very soft in the back end.

Her previous owners said she never went early,but noticed on our barn cam she had gotten quite big latley and we talked about her the other night. Her husband said I better start watching her with how round she was getting.

Any suggestions about the first stage of labor? Will it last this long? Will horses slow down due to people coming out to check?

Thanks for your help. Sorry about they typos, I am a nervous wreck.
default_wacko.png
:

Christine

Well if she was getting up and down and contracting you ought to have a baby by now
default_wink.png
:

Latest posts

Back