big horse for WCMHR mare?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatbroke Farms

Reaction score
I have a Percheron cross mare that I have been trying to sell for quite some time. I've reduced her price again and again. Finally I posted an ad offering to trade her for a registered mini. I just did it on a whim figuring since I couldn't sell her, I'd see if I could get any bites on a trade. Besides, minis eat less!

Well, someone is interested in trading for her. However, the mare that is offered for trade is a WCMHR mare in foal by an unregistered stallion. What I really want, of course, is an AMHA or AMHR registered miniature. But my question is this... with the market being what it is, would I be better off keeping the big mare that I have... or should I actually make this trade and have two mouths to feed instead of one. Albeit, much much smaller mouths. What is the market for this?

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Well I guess it depends what you are going to do with the new mare and the resulting foal. Do you want to show? breed? or just have as pets? If you plan on showing or breeding you need AMHR and/ or AMHA papers.

WCMHR papers mean nothing to me, I personally wouldn't do it.

I agree with the previous poster however it does depend on what kind of showing you intend to do ,if you do ,because most fun shows allow WHMHR papers as well as AMHA AMHR. If you are looking for a national contender then this horse probably isnt for you.

I am interested in showing. Perhaps breeding, but that'll just be a possibility for the future. Really, I would likely just attempt to resell. I hate saying that, but I'm having such a terrible time selling my mare, I am questioning whether it would be easier to resell two minis versus one big horse.

It depends on your Percheron mare. Is she rideable? driveable? Safe and Sane? I would be willing to pay around $1500 or more for a safe and sound trail/pleasure horse, I would not pay even close to that for two unregistered minis unless they were great quality an cheap(cheap enough to make hardshipping worth it). Keep the mare.

The horse market, in general, is pretty rough right now. Selling horses takes a long time and generally a huge price reduction.

WCMHR means absolutely nothing. Its pretty much a way to give an unregistered horse registration. But as far as showing, doesn't mean much. I know there are WCMHR shows, but I know there are none locally here. So, you would be getting an unregistered mare. You're also going to have to spend more money to foal out this mare. Plus, its just adding to the fact that there are so many unregistered minis out there.
default_no.gif

Personally, I wouldn't do it. These horses are unregistered (pretty much). Unregistered minis around me are going for under $500 and people are begging people to take them.
default_no.gif
If you have interest in showing and breeding, I would do the responsible thing. Wait for a real registered horse AMHA or AMHR (or both).

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't trade as it wasn't the trade you had in mind.

I would look at how you have marketed your horse so far and work at perfecting the info on her. There is someone out there who would be thrilled to have her, you just have to find them. Find more places to advertise her and a better ad. If she isn't trained, work on getting her trained.

If you plan to resell them you will probably guarantee yourself not near the amount on what you would want for your mare. Basiclly you either take the loss or save on your feed bill.

WCMHR papers don't mean nothing over here either. Too me its just a piece of paper with their name on it.

A WCMHR only horse is a grade / unregistered horse to 99.9% of the miniature horse enthusiasts out there. How badly do you want out of the big horse? And would you trade her for an unregistered pregnant "mini"? If so, go for it, but I wouldn't expect that the WCMHR mare in foal would be worth more than $500 to most people. I wouldn't take them for free -- because I would not have anything I could plan to do with either and have plenty of pets as it is.

Thank you all, that is exactly what I was thinking upon being approached with the offer. I just needed to hear others say it. My interest is definitely in the AMHA/AMHR miniatures, not just pet quality. I want to have the ability to show minis, which is why we got involved in the first place. I'm not looking to add to the flooded market of unregistered pet quality animals.

I like my mare, but I've got 5 others for sale also, so I'm just looking for good homes at way less than they are worth. It's just the way the market is right now. Financially, I'm okay keeping her longer, so that's just what I'll do until the right home comes along.

Thanks again.

Sounds like you are thinking smart. Physically, the WCMHR only mare may be outstanding, but without "real" AMHA/AMHR papers, you'd be unable to show her at registry shows or raised registered foals. I think by being able to take your time like you can, you will end up happy with the results when all is said and done
default_yes.gif

Count me in as one of the 99.9% ..to me a wcmhr only mare/gelding/stallion is the same as a grade. A WCMHR horse cannot compare to an AMHA and/or AMHR horse in value.

If you want to show show ..i suggest waiting and see whatelse comes along that is amha and/or amhr reg., it would be worth it. Dont "settle"
default_smile.png

Leeana

I know that you are not trying to sell here on this post. But a suggestion is to set up a webpage with your horses on it and put a link to it in your profile on this board and any other board that you post on. You will be surprised by the number of people who will look at your site and it could lead to a sale. Many people are just looking and then like what they see so much that they break down and buy just one more. There are a lot of easy free sites to use.....just would take a little time to set it up.

I know that you are not trying to sell here on this post. But a suggestion is to set up a webpage with your horses on it and put a link to it in your profile on this board and any other board that you post on. You will be surprised by the number of people who will look at your site and it could lead to a sale. Many people are just looking and then like what they see so much that they break down and buy just one more. There are a lot of easy free sites to use.....just would take a little time to set it up.

And put where you're from! I would love to trade for a dead quiet riding horse....
default_biggrin.png

Lucy

Thank you all for the advice. I am actually revamping my website and I have a professional photographer slated to come out and take pictures of all the horses. I have just been waiting till it warms up so I can clip up or they are shedded out a bit better.

As I see it all depends on your big horse. Is she broke to ride or drive? Or is she just a BIG pet? You must also try to be objective and remember what you offering in trade. A unregistered horse.... right

Also depends where your located. In some places like here you can buy a well broke riding horse for $200 ,and some of those are registered. I know one gal with 4 broke horses ( nice young healthy sane) to give away! I have 3 pure bred arab gelding standing in my pasture right now who were given to me.

I do see WCMHR papers having some value, not anywhere near AMHR or AMHA papers but some value.

I know we all like to think our horses are worth $$$$, but in todays market some just are not.

If I were you , I'd look at if as is this bred mini mare worth the same as my mare? What is this person asking price for her mini?

Your also right to look at it as up keep costs. Feeding ect. Spending money to care and feed a horse that is not what you want or need is a waste.

That what my grandpa called "horse poor", LOL.

Also another thing to look at is if this would be a good home for your big mare?? I have sold horses big and small for far less then htier value many times to the RIGHT home.

Latest posts

Back