big belly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyndarra_park

Reaction score
Help.....

I have a yearling filly that has allways had a large pot belly.

It is not worms and i think it is just fat.

She is not a heavy horse,

She is actually a real arab type, gorgeous head and dead straight, ultra fine legs.

Tha judges cant llook past this belly,

I have tried different feeds, more and less, and lunging.

As i havent had minis long, how much can they be worked as a baby?

Is any one in the same situation as me?

A belly on a yearling is unlikely to be fat.

Do you have pictures.

What is she being fed.

When and how was she last wormed and what is your worming schedule.

How old exactly is she.

What is her turn out schedule.

Have you had a faecal check done on her.

How long have you had her??

Sorry this is all questions but without knowing the whole picture it is hard to give answers.

hard to say without seeing her but shes probably protein deprived. young foals need a lot of good quality food. A big pot belly means they are malnurished and or wormy. Very common in yearlings that arent fed enough. Too many people mistake it for a fat horse and cut down the food which in turn makes it worse. Can you post pictures?? I prefer equine jr for all weanlings thru 2 yr olds.

Hi,

Well.... I have 2 weanlings. Both are built different and both are in great condition, no extra fat and no belly.

I know that grass hay can give them that belly. I like to feed beat pulp (soaked), with oats and thier regular grain and then they just get a little alfalfa.

Thier hair coats are sooo SOFT and shiny and these guys have so much energy and play and play! I changed my feed program last Aug/Sept and I will NEVER go back! I feed this with everyone and even tried once for a week to go back to just thier regular grass hay and grain only....... Oh boy.... I could already see the change........ and didn't like it!

I went through this with both my babies.

It was two things:

worms & ulcers

Of course I de-wormed my babies! And we were on a good schedule, but not good enough and I contribute this too them being on an over-grazed field at the time. I was using Zimectrin Gold at the time and Strongid. But we still had much tweaking to do and I had to step it up. Finally I did the 5 day Purge with Safeguard followed by ivermectrin again, and I watched them deflate before my eyes and opened up a new field and closed their former one down for rest.

Then they both showed some signs of ulcers around that same time so I got them on Gastroguard for 30 days.

*Poof* Big bellies all gone.

I agree with having a fecal sample done and increasing the protein in their diet. Studies have shown that the foals need more protein. We feed alfalfa and a Jr feed, like Purina Jr. The babies do awesome and never have that pot bellied no meat over the back look. The muscles are well proportioned and not 'starving' - giving the shoulders a flat slab sided look.

I have an 8 month old pet quality colt whose belly was out of control. He is wormed regularly (using the schedule I found recommended here) gets taken for long brisk walks several days a week weather permitting, and has vet checked healthy from head to toe.

Because I had him turned out with my old gelding who was a chronic founderer he was getting mostly diet geared towards the old guy. A few months ago I started to pull him into the barn twice a day to supplement with 16% mare and foal feed and the belly slimmed down remarkably fast. When I had the old guy put down (*makes very sad face*) I had a half a bag of his feed left over and decided to feed it out half and half with the mare and foal just so that it wouldn't go to waste. Shame on me, I know, but I'm a penny pincher and couldn't see just throwing it away. The belly has might a slight reappearance, and I am switching back over to purely the mare and foal feed asap.

So I'm a firm believer that if every other possibility has been exhausted chances are it has to do with the protein content in the feed. If it is just fat, IMO, the horse will be fat all over. There are pretty obvious fat deposit areas that will be there to tell you if it is actually just fat. My guy is a little fat, he has little lumps of fat on his butt on either side of his tail and his back has a dip down the center of the spine instead of being level like I would prefer, but his belly isn't big... just well padded.

I agree w/the more, and better quality feed.

My horses live on free choice (albeit poor quality) pasture, with orchard grass hay in front of them pretty much 24/7. My young horses, weanlings and yearlings, even on up to two and three year olds, get a 12% Development formulated feed.

Here is their feeding instructions (from the LMF feeds website:

"Weanlings & Yearlings (to 18 mo.) Feed 1 lb. per 100 lb. of body weight per day until weight equals approximately 60% of expected mature weight. Example: the maximum intake for a young, growing horse with an expected mature weight of 1,000 lb. would be 6 lbs. per day. "

I've noticed that minis need sometimes twice what would be expected by weight, in some cases, but I'm terrible with math, and each horse is a little different. I err on the side of generosity, and have consulted my vet and farrier on these issues, and have never caused a problem w/overfeeding.

My weanlings consume at LEAST 1-2 lb. per day by the time they are a month old (some more, some less). Now, most of my weanlings are less than 25 lb. at birth, and for sure they are less than 50 lb. by a month (I know, I carry them around all the time, and have weighed a couple). So it progresses:

My weanlings, by the time they are weaned, are often eating 2-4 lb. of this same feed per day, in addition to free choice pasture and hay, as well as beet pulp and BOSS. I would guess most of them are about 100 lb. even as long yearlings (A size horses) They are NOT fat, they are NOT pot-bellied, and the ones that are somewhat pot-bellied are the ones that I increase the feed and it goes away.

I feel I cannot sacrifice their emotional as well as physical health to make them "look" a certain way, though I DO show my weanlings and yearlings fairly extensively.

I also do NOT do any forced exercise on a weanling and am very hesitant and light w/it on a yearling, and it's always free work.

I have a yearling filly here that weighs about 200 lb (32" tall) and she eats 5 lb. of feed per day, is active and healthy and has very little to no body fat.

I know it sounds like I feed a lot, but here are some photographs of my weanlings and yearlings for reference (all of these horses were/are fed and conditioned as I describe, and not sweated or worked):

lark706eg.jpg

Yearling filly (15 months here, the one I described above, she's hard to keep, and gets a bit of a belly when I know she needs more feed).

larkfair05.jpg

Same filly as above, but four months old, about two months before she was weaned. I consider her a bit thin, and I increased her feed and left her on her dam for two more months or so b/c of her hard keeper status.

kyanl06.jpg

7 month old weanling. He eats about 4 lb. of feed per day as well.

mousehs4.jpg

7 week old weanling.

I'm sorry this is long. I see a similar thread to this several times in a week and particularly this time of year as we try to prep our horses to take them into the ring. I don't always have the time to type a response to it, and for sure there may be something else happening here such as parasites or ulcers, but barring that, this is what works for me.

I'm not an expert, just telling you what works for my horses/situation.

(always make feed changes slowly, even increases, and don't add a new substance until you're sure the horse tolerates it, and only one new thing at a time in case of a reaction).

Liz M.

Are you feeding sweet feed or a complete feed?

Complete feed is honestly what you should have her on IMO, i dont think anytype of sweet feed or percentage feed can meet the needs of a weanling or yearling.

Do you switch wormers or use the same one? They can build up an imunity (sp?) if you use the same brand time after time i've been told. Are you using enough wormer? Just some things to think about.

Up the grain. My 7 month old colt gets more then any of our other horses. I would also think about what hay your on. I think weanlings and yearlings need a good feeding program. I would have her on Alfalfa and a complete feed. Some brands you can choose are Equine, Purina and my person preference ..Buckeye. Buckeye Grow N' Win is good stuff. My 7 month old colt is currently getting 1/2lb of Buckeye AM/PM and 1/4lb at noon. I feed him 3x a day, he almost always has hay infront of him as well. No belly, he is filled out and even, no belly ..no huge fat deposits.

Another thing you could do is add a suppliment that meets your fillys needs. I like NutraGlow, it has allot of good stuff in it but there are so many other supliments out there. Just a few suggestions and thoughts from what i've been told before.

When you figure out what you need to change, take it slowly. I did allot of changing this past summer trying to get my horses on a good feeding program that i liked and worked good for them. It took me about 8 or 9 days to switch from Purina to Buckeye, i also switched from Orchord Grass to Alfalfa ..that took me about 6 or 7 days to do as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leeana, what is in the Nutra Glow and where do you get it? Thanks

NutraGlo is a miricle in a Bottle lol. Its not like ShowGlo which you can buy at TSC, completely different ...people always mistake it for the same thing. NutraGlo comes in a bottle and is a lyquid. It comes with a measuring tube and you give 1 line per hundread pounds. I believe a bottle has a shelf life of over a year. I used it this past season and i've NEVER seen a coat so shiny, hooves so healthy and it puts weight on horses and gets them to a steady weight and keeps them their. It doesnt make them overly fat but can put weight on like none other and its healthy. I get mine from a dealer in Southern Ohio when we go down there ever few months. It smells kind of like honey or mollasis. I'd have to run out to the barn to get the bottle and read info off of it on the nutrients ext and its pretty late. Its safe for foals, redices risk of colic. The horses like it and they look awsome on it. The guy i buy it from has a book of before/after photos and in just 30-60 you wont believe what these horses look like :new_shocked:.

You have to call to order more, i believe 35oz is like $29, you can buy the gallon ext as well. If you use Nutraglo with a good conditioning program it is magic. It made Royal look amazing, he was already at a good weight so it just gave him that extra extra 'glow' and didnt pack on any extra pounds. I can get anyone extra info on it if your interested, i swear by the stuff.
default_smile.png

Edited to add: A friend of mine actually told me about Nutraglo back when i was feeling 12% sweet feed last year. It made up for what the feed was lacking. I dont use it as much now that i feed Buckeye. I'll prob use it going into show season agian, i dont feel that they need it. It 'evened out' one of our yearling colts who had a belly on him bc the sweet feed just was not cutting it and we had hay infront of him almost at all times. wish i had a before/after picture of him.

Thankyou to all that replied.

Firslty i am not sure how to post photos.

She can be seen on the silver oak website, in the sales page, click on the sold link.

Her name is silver oak DQ aphrodite.

My filly is a yearling. She was born on the 3rd october 2005.

I am in Australia, so what i feed may not be what any else is using.

She gets fed -

1 scoop lucerne chaff

1/2 scoop wheaten chaff

1/2 scoop weightlifter ( weightlifter is a premixed complete feed )

and sometimes a handfull of pydes Phase 2. ( grain mix ).

I got her when she was 6 months old, she had a very bad wormy belly then, it took a few months to find a wormer that actually worked.

We know worm her with AMMO, she gets wormed every 4-5 weeks.

A few people have mentioned ulcers.

It may sound silly, but what exactly will cause ulcers and how can i treat it. ( if that is the problem ).

To be honest it does look like fat, but nothing seems to be working to get rid of it.

She is not fat all over though, she is actually very fine.

I have a gelding that had a pot belly when he was a yearling, he grew out of it though.

I am not sure if she will, or if there isa more serious problem.

I had two that did it and it turned out they were shaving eaters. I noticed it in the water buckets. None of the other ones ever had the bellys.

She is not eating any thing out of the ordinary,

All my minis get the same feed.

She is the only one effected.

Strange...

I think that young horses often have big bellies from being fed hay that they can't digest fully (especially if the hay is coarse). I have been happy with how my young horses look when fed mostly hay cubes, beet pulp, and or complete feed (purina equine junior) and whatever amount of hay they get, it's soft, leafy orchard grass hay. When fed these things, I have not ever had a problem with them having "bellies".

I had two that did it and it turned out they were shaving eaters. I noticed it in the water buckets. None of the other ones ever had the bellys.
Good point here, too! Of my show horses, those that eat shavings will have bigger bellies and drink a lot more water! I'm currently switching to cardboard bedding and that seems to be helping tremendously.

Young horses don't digest fiber well, so they need to be fed a diet that is highly digestible. If you've ruled out worms, underweight, eating shavings, etc, then it may be that your filly isn't able to properly digest what she is eating. I would highly recommend a youth or growth formula feed available in your area and I bet it will make a big difference in her belly! Good luck!
default_smile.png

Thankyou to everyone that has replied.

It ahs given me a few clues as to what she may have.

Thanks to all,

And please dont stop giving you opinions. Every bit helps.

Thankyou

Can you weigh the feed?? "A scoop" is not really enough information.

Even without weighing it I can guess that she is not getting nearly enough to eat- so can we have a bit more information??

Firstly how much hay or grazing or both is she getting and what sort of hay.

Secondly and very importantly how tall is she and what does she weigh??

My short yearlings, 26-30", around 50-70 kgs are fed 4lbs of feed each per feeding and are on pasture (which is still growing and YES it is winter!!) and have ad lib hay.

I do not get "hay bellies" the only time I have ever seen anything that came near being what is described as a "hay belly" was on a thin horse.

If her belly is fat and the rest of her is not then the most likely thing is that she is actually underweight.

Do not despair if that is the case, it is fixable!!!

What is Ammo?? what is the active ingredient in it??

Have you done the Fenbendazole (Panacur) five day purge on her??

OK found Ammo it is Abamectin based, and it does NOT get encysted small strongyles- it is basically a wormer that attacks the same group of worms as Ivermectin- I can only assume that some worms may have become resistant to Ivermectin, although we do not yet have that problem.

I would suggest you get a bottle of Panacur (safe) Guard and do the five day double dose course, then wait ten days and give the full dose for weight of the Ammo- I would do this as soon as you can.

Panacur (Fenbendazole) is very very mild.

Latest posts

Back