Better ideas for Christmas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Equuisize

Reaction score
This arrived in my e mail and I thought it especially thoughful.

~~ Christmas 2011 ~~ Birth of a New Tradition

As the holidays approach, the giant Asian factories are kicking into high gear to provide Americans with monstrous piles of cheaply produced goods -- merchandise that has been produced at the expense of American labor!

This year can be different!

This year Americans can give the gift of genuine concern for other Americans.

~~Christmas 2011~~ Birth of a New Tradition

As the holidays approach, the giant Asian factories are kicking into high gear to provide Americans with monstrous piles of cheaply produced goods -- merchandise that has been produced at the expense of American labor!

It's time to think outside the box, people.

Who says a gift needs to fit in a shirt box, wrapped in Chinese produced wrapping paper?

Everyone -- yes EVERYONE gets their hair cut. How about gift certificates from your local American hair salon or barber? A gift certificate to get their pet groomed?

Gym membership? It's appropriate for all ages who are thinking about some health improvement.

Who wouldn't appreciate getting their car detailed? Small, American owned detail shops and car washes would love to sell you a gift certificate or a book of gift certificates.

Are you one of those extravagant givers who think nothing of plunking down the Benjamin's on a Chinese made flat-screen? Perhaps that grateful gift receiver would like his driveway sealed, or lawn mowed for the summer, or driveway plowed all winter, or games at the local golf course.

There are a bazillion owner-run restaurants -- all offering gift certificates. And, if your intended isn't the fancy eatery sort, what about a half dozen breakfasts at the local breakfast joint. Remember, folks this isn't about big National chains -- this is about supporting your home town Americans with their financial lives on the line to keep their doors open.

How many people couldn't use an oil change for their car, truck or motorcycle, done at a shop run by the American working guy?

Thinking about a heartfelt gift for mom? Mom would LOVE the services of a local cleaning lady for a day.

My computer could use a tune-up, and I KNOW I can find some young guy who is struggling to get his repair business up and running.

OK, you were looking for something more personal. Local crafts people spin their own wool and knit them into scarves, sweaters or booties. They paint, make jewelry, soaps, pottery and beautiful wooden boxes. It's endless, the talent of our own people.

Plan your holiday outings at local, owner operated restaurants and leave your server a nice tip. And, how about going out to see a play or ballet at your hometown theater. Musicians need love too, so find a venue showcasing local bands.

Honestly, people, do you REALLY need to buy another ten thousand Chinese lights for the house? When you buy a five dollar string of lights, about fifty cents stays in the community. If you have those kinds of bucks to burn, leave the mailman, trash guy or a babysitter a nice BIG tip.

You see, Christmas is no longer about draining American pockets so that China can build another glittering city. Christmas is now about caring about US, encouraging American small businesses to keep plugging away to follow their dreams.

When we care about other Americans, we care about our communities, and the benefits come back to us in ways we couldn't imagine.

THIS can be the new American Christmas tradition.

Share this to everyone on your mailing list -- post it to discussion groups -- throw up a post on Craigslist in the Rants and Raves section in your city -- send it to the editor of your local paper and radio stations and TV news departments.

This is a revolution of caring about each other, and isn't that what Christmas is about?

Great idea,Marty.Our local TV station has a commercial with the General Manager urging people to buy locally to support business and people in our own area.We are primarily a rural area on the Delmarva Peninsula which is comprised of the entire state of Delaware, part of Maryland(known as Eastern Shore)and a very small part of Virginia.I like the idea you shared and intend to spend most of my holiday money in this area.

Nancy, I like this idea. Most of our family members have been using this tradition for a number of years now.

I just posted almost the same thing, but with a couple of little changes and additions.......
default_saludando.gif

Star Ridges commented under mine and suggested posting these ideas on Facebook. I think that is an AWESOME idea, personally. There's many of us who are FB but we don't ALL have the same friends.....

I agree, Maryann.

It was a very timely email I thought when it came in this morning.

It's just so important.

We live in a very small town without a lot of commercial venture. Many businesses were closed and/or boarded up even before the economy fell.

As former small business owners we have always tried to support other small business owners.

In these times, it is even more important to help these folks keep their heads above water.

Hey I'm down here. That was Nancy who is the OP and what a great thread this is. I actually do try to shop locally and patronize the local shops in town, what is left of them that is. I really do hope everyone trys to buy American and do it more often.

This post has really made me think about my holiday shopping.I WILL BE much more likely to buy and shop locally.Sometimes it is very difficult to buy things that are not made in China or elsewhere.Now if we could just get some of these big companies who hire phone workers in foreign countries(with really bad english) to get that there are lots of people in USA who would love to have a job here.I get so excited when I call for tech support on my computer and get an English speaking person in this country.YAAH USA we have great people here willing to work.

Thanks for posting this. Made me think too. I reposted it on FB for others to consider.

This post has really made me think about my holiday shopping.I WILL BE much more likely to buy and shop locally.Sometimes it is very difficult to buy things that are not made in China or elsewhere.Now if we could just get some of these big companies who hire phone workers in foreign countries(with really bad english) to get that there are lots of people in USA who would love to have a job here.I get so excited when I call for tech support on my computer and get an English speaking person in this country.YAAH USA we have great people here willing to work.

Just a thought-- it is hard to have a 24 hour hotline for products when it is night time here-- having Indian workers solves that problem and they will work much harder for much less.

Equuisize, may I have your permission to post on other forums please? I have been thinking a lot about all this lately. I wish someone would open a chain of stores, with only goods made in America. I am quite sure people would purchase there. I seldom purchase anything new any more and prefer to obtain all my things from The Salvation Army thrift stores. Maybe when buying new, we should check labels carefully and ask the clerk or store manager, if he has something similar 'made in the USA'.

The other day, I was looking at my pots and pans and other kitchen things. The ones in worst condition were not that old and made in China or similar. My still almost perfect pieces, which have been used almost daily, I brought to the US with me from England and made in England, 48 years ago! That should tell us something.

As a lover of things old and antique, I know most hold up well. My piano was made in San Francisco in 1869. My bed, in Ireland in the 1700's. Quality of workmanship, seems so lacking these days.

Lizzie

Lizzie, most of my furniture is old and made in the USA.I love my antiques.Much of the furniture sold in stores today isn't even real wood.It is scraps of stuff glued together.

Just a thought-- it is hard to have a 24 hour hotline for products when it is night time here-- having Indian workers solves that problem and they will work much harder for much less.
So, why when I call a hotline mid-day do I get a foreign speaking associate; but when I call after hours I get someone that speaks English just fine? It doesn't make sense. And, that's what the graveyard shift is for, and there are plenty of Americans that can work a graveyard shift, no need to send the employment opportunity elsewhere.

Equuisize, may I have your permission to post on other forums please?

Lizzie

Lizzie, please do!!

I received it Sunday morning and it was to timely not to share.

I hope the more often it gets passed on the more people it will reach.

It would seem it arrived early on enough for people to consider it for this holiday season and wishfully, make it a way of life long after the holiday.

It seems it may be up to us to save ourselves and our neighbors, to keep artisans and small business people flipping over that 'open for business' sign each morning.

Thank you Equusize. I will pass it on.

The small businessman and small farmer, is disappearing rapidly from the US. It is such a shame. When I grew up, my parents owned a country shop in a village in England. We had (maybe) a choice of two of an item. Two kinds of detergent, two kinds of jam, and only two kinds of just about everything. Nobody went without anything and nobody minded. My father cured his own hams, which hung in a strange building at the back of the house, underground. Everyone for miles around shopped at our place and almost everything was delivered. Customers would call in their grocery list in the morning, one of our girls would box the order and my father delivered around the countryside in the afternoon. We also sold items other than food. Kitchen utensils, gardening equipment, sewing and knitting items and at Christmas, decorations. I never remember anything being sold there, which was imported. Life was more simple then - and lovely!

I do think we should all try our best, to purchase goods made only in the country in which we live. It would certainly help the economy.

Lizzie

I understand Lizzie and feel the same. It's a terrible loss and even worse when when you think there are generations of children being raised to think everything is temporary and their next 'want' is just a store away.

My mom was raised on a small island in the San Juan Islands in Washington State.

She was born in 1903. Her grandparents arrived here before Washington was a state, arrived on horseback or in a covered wagon.

Her father was the town butcher, raised Morgan horses besides all the feed animals, for the butcher shop, on their farm on the Haro Straits.

She rode in a buckboard to school, driven by her older brother tucked between him and her older sister.

Sometimes she was allowed to have one of the animals for a pet for a short time.

I was a late life baby, my grandparetns on both sides were gone many years before I was ever born, but loved listening to her stories of 'way back then'.

As a young women she raised Chesapeake Bay Retrievers and spoke of making their food from scratch from the meat truck that drove thru the neighborhood on a regular basis, making deliveries of what they ordered on his last trip. Bread and milk were also delivered to your home.

It was a big step up, she thought from going to her father's store, as a child.

Progress has always surrounded us however, it seems it's accelerated to a point that many do not appreciate what they have but only concentrate on what they can get next.

I do hope this forward arrived in time to make some stop, think and maybe look back to when times were a bit slower, we supported our neighbors and friends in their endeavors and remember how important it is to keep these small business people thriving.

My concern is what will happen if we don't.

Just my two cents, most of todays Americans think that every thing now is desposable, thanks to desposable diapers, bottles, cans, furniture, etc. you get the picture. Back when I was young we didn't have any thing disposable. We rcycled or used something until it couldn't be used anymore. I go to plenty of yard sales and buy used good furniture, not the guled together pieces, the really old pieces that are tongue and groove, then I refinish them. My husbands grandfather was a carpenter, not like the ones today, he made Pres. Roosevelts desk, he made cabinets and furniture, it was an American craft. Not processed, each piece an individual. No wonder our landfills are overflowing with junk. Back in the day TV's were made here and they had tubes and I'm not saying we go back in time, but they lasted forever not just two years. With todays junk your lucky if it lasts two years, then throw it away and need to buy another. We need to start buying American again, and this e-mail message has given me some great ideas for gifts.
default_aktion033.gif

I understand exactly where you are coming from Terry.

Raised by older parents I still have many of the value's my parents had from the way they were raised, plus they lived thru the early Depression.

They valued everything as they never knew when they would again have the money to replace something. Complete different thought process from many families today.

Certainly do not want to paint everyone with the same broad stroke as I do believe there are families/individuals that understand where we are potentially heading.

I just had another thought about buying locally - if you can buy in your own town, locally made goods even better, but I know in our greater area there are stores called Made in Washington and in Oregon, a store called Made in Oregon.

Maybe other states have something similar and could be search out for those that really want to give this a try.

We can't forget that we've many artisans, with different talents, producing quality work and for sure we know the dollars benefit someone we know.

Lovely story Equusize. I'm over 70 now, so remember so many quite lovely things, that young people today will never know.

The sound of the horse, plodding slowly up the street each morning to deliver milk. His driver just walked beside and put bottles on each doorstep. The horse never stopped, but knew how fast to walk. Then in the winter, the birds would fly down to the doorstep and peck at the bottle-tops, to sip the cream. You had to get up pretty early to beat the birds to your milk.

Then there was the baker. He also often delivered by horse and cart. You could smell him coming up the street. Newly baked bread. Yumm.

And when I was little, our vegetables were delivered by a Gypsy and his family. I have written much about Reuben and his family. Gypsies were not (and still are not) treated or thought of very well in England. Reuben had a Gypsy Horse (Dolly) and a flat cart. On the flat cart he would have all kinds of vegetables. At least all we could get during the war. His wife would sell ribbon and matches from a little tray. His son, who's name I cannot remember, was a young lad and would help the ladies take the veggies to their homes. Once a week, Reuben would drive his horse up the lane between our rows of houses. He almost always stopped outside our back gate. All the ladies would appear from their homes to shop.

When I was only about 4 years old, my mother sent me on the train from Cornwall to Wales - alone! I still remember that trip. I had a bottle of water and a little bag of raisins for the trip. The train was full of American Soldiers and it was standing room only. I remember the American fellow who sat me on his lap so I didn't have to stand. He offered me chewing gum and I remember him laughing when I told him I was not allowed to eat gum, since it was low class. Yikes. Poor fellow. And I remember another fellow, who was sick all the way to Wales and hung his head out of the window. I guess he wasn't used to trains. My Aunt and Uncle met me at the station in Wales. I cannot imagine anyone sending little children on such journies alone these days.

All women in those days, left their very young children outside shops in their prams, while they shopped. Nobody stole children. Nobody thought it odd.

I started school at about 4 1/2 - 5 years old. My mother took me the first day. After that I walked to school and back on my own. And it was a couple of miles with several busy roads to cross. When older and we had moved to the country, I had to ride my bicycle to the train station. Take the train into the city. Then walk several miles to school. We got out of school at 4pm and I had to do the whole thing over again. Not much fun in the winter when it was snowing and dark. But children in those days, were brought up not to complain. We did what we were told. Few had cars and a school bus was never known.

My, how things have changed, now I really think about it.

Lizzie

Latest posts

Back