Best fitting blankets for minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinacvt

Reaction score
I am in the market for some sheets for show season and want input from others on sheets. I would like ones with front buckles or closed fronts, would like to avoid velcro if possoble.

Hi,

I really haven't found a blanket or sheet that I like how it fits. Most are cut to ffar back at the withers and tend to rub. Triple L just came out with the highly adjustable blanket that might work. You can find it at minitack.com

Amanda

I really love the sheets and blankets I got from Double Diamond Tack made by Polar. NO VELCRO!!!!!!!!!! I hate velcro, mine always seem to undress each other.
default_new_shocked.gif
They are reasonably priced, and great colors, too.

We have tried several different kinds of sheets. I think it depends on how you are going to use them. We tried the supplex sheet made by triple L. This was a nice sheet, but our show horses are out in the pasture a lot and ripped these very easily.

I have also tried some that are heavier and they get too warm as many of our shows are 90-100 degrees the last couple of years.

The latest that we have been using are the ones from double diamond. I think they are weather beta. I really like these. They have adjustable front with buckles and regular belly strap with hook. No velcro. Ours always get them off (with velcro), especially in the front. These sheets are light weight, but we have only had 1 rip in the last year and a half compared to 5 of the supplex in 3 months. They are very resonably priced and work great also for keeping them dry as they are water repellent. They make the same design in winter blankets which is what we tried first at nationals. We really liked them. Great buy for quality and price.

Again though it depends on what you need them for. They are a little heavier than the supplex, so I suppose a little warmer, but our horses seemed to do okay with them. It gets spendy if you have to buy sheets all the time.

When I was looking for rain sheets for our B size girls I found it hard to fit them as they are too big for mini size and too small for pony wear. my wife ended up calling Starlake and altho she didnt have our size she made them to our measurements.[ and quickly too!] If you dont find what your looking for she may be able to make what you need. DR.

I like to put a slinky body sheet and hood on the horses, then a nylon sheet overtop after they've been cleaned up for a show. I have lots of these sheets from SStack and love them. Even if they cost 2x as much, I'd love them, but that they are so reasonable is even better. The picture on the link shows a blanket, but the sheets are single ply nylon. I have them in both sizes and would also recommend purchasing the leg straps. They are nice, well made sheets.

let me add the sleezy wear question to this - where does everyone get their slinkys?

I've always found the LLL stuff to be the best fitted. They cut the front up a bit so the sheets and blankets aren't down on the leg rubbing the hair off. And because of the fit they stay on without leg straps. (detest leg straps) They do have vlecro on the bellyband, but I've seldom found that to be a problem. We have dressed 6-10 show horses per season since 1998 and LLL has been our product of choice. The supplex sheets are light weight for hot weather, but durable (some we have used for 6-7 years and are still using them despite washing around 20 times per season)

The nylon quilted blankets are light weight, supple but warm. I really don't like heavy stiff clothing on the horses....I wouldn't find it comfortable and can't imagine the horses do either.

Charlotte

The best sheets for quality and fitting that I have found and believe me I bet have 30 differnt kinds of blankets and maybe show 5 horses at a time. Is from Ozark. I dont know if they carry the exact ones you will have to ask Lisa but they are closed front with a tail cover. They do have velcro for the under strap. But they fit nice they dont tear easy they are light weight. They are by far my favorite.

here it is http://www.minitack.com/lllns.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your replies! I will be putting the sheets on them after I have them cleaned up for the show, I will have body sleezys on them as well, the sheets will be for warmth and to keep them from ripping the sleezys. I will have 2 horses together and they are good at undressing each other and themselves when they are alone thats why no velcro.

I've come to love the Kensingtons with their double locking velcro--they fit very well and that double locking velcro means they do not come off easily. I just don't see another horse being able to get all that velcro undone!

Did I say they fit well? Actually they fit great.

I may have just had bad luck, but I havent had lunk with the sleazies from sstack. I LOVE their blankets, sheet and sleazies for my big horse, but No such luck with the minis. My first sleazie didnt fit correctly. It actually was way too long on the face, and came down too far over midas nose. So, I sent it back and got the next size smaller. Well, that almost fit, except their generous eye holes are big enough for eyes and ears, and for whatever reason it wouldnt stay on right, and he ended up with her ears and eyes through the same hole, otherwise it rubbed him. He has that on for 2 days at a show, in the portable stalls that have walls made of tarp like material, and he isnt a rubber, and after 1 day he had most of the seems unraveling. I sent it back and they did refund my money. My gfavorite sleazy actually come from ebay, lol.

I found some really nice-fitting, Kensington-like blankets on closeout at Valley Vet this month. Brookside Miniature Turnout BlanketQuilted Stable Blanket

I got mine in the mail yesterday and they seem to be pretty good quality.

Leia
All 7 of our Mini's have these blankets and I've been really happy with them. I have found it very tough to find a decent fitting blanket that doesn't either rub that last mane hair off or rub the shoulder area. These blankets have worked out very well for our horses for the 2 winters we've used them.

I have a mare who has a small and hard to fit chest and the Landa foal blanket out by Weatherbeta fits her well. It comes in odd sizes instead of even and is meant for full sized horse foals, but it works perfect for a Mini.

I've been very happy though with the blankets from Valley Vet.

~Jen~

Latest posts

Back