best feed for miniatures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvsminis

Reaction score
Hi, I have a problem that I hoping someone can help me with. I have always fed the Platform Miniature feed to my 3 horses and loved it. It had the rice bran and flax seed in it, which was nice. We can no longer get it around here, and I was wondering what the rest of you are feeding your horses. My 3 1/2 yr old gelding is around 200 lbs, the 2 1/2 yr old filly is around 200 lbs, and the little fella (stallion) is 28 1/2 inches around 110 lbs, he is also 2 1/2 yrs old. What do you all feed?

Every horse owner has a different feed program of what works for them; so, you're going to get a lot of answers.

I live in the middle of nowhere and have limited feeds available to me locally, but luckily I can get a few Progressive Nutrition feeds, I love there ration balancer; local store just switched to a new senior feed (so I'm in the process of changing my senior gelding over - its more economical than the Progressive, and he likes it); I special order beet pulp; and I can get oats. [We raise most of our own hay (we have cattle), but I still buy some grass hay for the horses.] This fall I drove 5 hours one-way to pick up some grass hay pellets and I'm looking into a closer store to see if they can get in the grass hay pellets for a reasonable price.

Anyway, my minis are all on Progressive Nutrition grass balancer and grass hay; all my minis are B-size and 325-400#. Maintenance level is 1/2# ration balancer, pregnant mares get 3/4#, lactating mares get 1-2# (can't remember the level), growing horses get 1-2# (depends on age and size). Most are on free choice grass hay and all get 1/3# beet pulp (dry measure, then soaked, about 4 cups soaked each) in the winter. [i do have one A-sized stallion, he weighs about 180#, he gets 1/4# ration balancer, 2 cups soaked beet pulp, soaked t/A cubes (4-5 cubes), and some oats (haven't measured his oats, as his program is being adjusted) plus free choice grass hay.] One skinny gelding is getting a little bit of senior for extra calories, he's finally gaining, so won't need the senior much longer (never had an issue with sand til this guy, so put him on a sand product for a week, and he started gaining). My horses look pretty good on this program, and would look even better if I could get better hay (it was a bad hay year, so we are short on hay, I'm looking to find some more to buy, if I can - if not, I'll feed some hay pellets to stretch the hay).

[Thanks, where do you get the Progressive Nutrition? I do hope others write in on what they have theirs on, I'm not sure I can get that as I have not seen it yet. We have Tractor Supply, Race Brothers, Tindle and Powels. They all seem to carry something different; however, a couple of them do carry Purina. Thanks for the help.

I'm still very new at taking care of horses, so take my information with as a grain of salt if necessary
default_smile.png

My weanlings and 10 yr old hard-keeper mare are on Omolene 300. They've been on that since late September, I think. I am very pleased with the results at this point. I was out grooming them all this morning and even with their winter woolies, there is a sheen to their coat and everybody looks good.

My yearling filly is on Purina's Wellsolve Weight Control because she simply breathes and gains weight. Again, this is working well for her even though she didn't like it much at first.

As we get deeper in to the winter months, we may add some beet pulp simply to give them additional moisture on a daily basis.

As neither of these is a ration balancer or complete feed, they also get a good bit of hay between them both morning and evening. They have little pasture grass right now as our small enclosure they are currently confined to is chewed down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying something new. I love feeding a ration balancer, but my horses were still cresty from the 32% protein, I guess. I had switched to Nutrena's Lite Balance and the crests are very diminished. But, I found a new product! It has all the vitamins and minerals from a ration balancer with only 10% protein!!
default_smile.png
default_biggrin.png
It's by Blue Seal--and it's called Min-A-Vit Lite. Tractor Supply orders it for me. It's $26 a bag--but the amount I feed is 1/2 c twice a day except for the lactating mares who get about 3/4 c. My foals will get Contender until they're at least one.

Due to crappy hay mine are currently getting Equine Senior AM and PM and some alfalfa cubes for a lunch.

Hi Gizzmoe, How old are your minis? Do you give hay with it also or any grass?

Got a stallion that is like 8, i believe the mare is 4 and my weanling. Right now my weaning is up front in the pasture but there isnt really a lot of grass there but is some she grazes on. However the mare and stallion get no hay other then the cubes for their lunch. Right now the stallion is getting 2.5 lbs of the senior 2x a day with the lunch being 1 lb of alfalfa cubes. The mare gets 1 lb 12 oz of the senior 2x a day and 8 oz of cubes for lunch. The filly gets 1 lb of senior 2x a day and only about 4 oz cubes for her lunch. They all seem to be doing well on this. I would like to feed regular hay with it but right now getting any grass hay that is good is a problem. So I started this plan with them and they are doing okay on it. They only yell at me for feeding time and not any other times when I am out there. The stallion is about 275 lbs and the mare is only about 185 lbs so thats why the difference between them in amounts.

Thanks everyone for your input, it was very helpful........now all I have to do is decide! Again, thanks for the help.

I'm another fan of Strategy by Purina Mills. I've fed several other feeds and always come back to Strategy, it really does work for every horse here. I started my weanlings out on Omolone 300, however, put them on Strategy and they are doing much better on that.

Strategy keeps a good shine on all of the horses and it keeps them all filled out well also. All of the horses enjoy the taste of Strategy as well
default_smile.png

Hi, I have heard other who give Strategy and like it. How much would you give a horse that weighs 200 lbs for instance?

I have been using Triple Crown products the last few years and really like them! Right now I am using Triple Crown 30% Supplement, which is a ration balancer. I've been very happy with it, and my easy keepers get 1/8 cup a day! It is great when you have mixed ages, etc, I've used it for foals, pregnant/nursing mares, stallions, etc. You just adjust the amount they get to suit their needs. I got tired of multiple bags of feed that would take forever to get through, so now I have one bag for everyone!

I FEED STRATEGY AND LOVE IT. THANK GOODNESS I HAVE NO PROBLEM HORSES, IF I DID I WOULD USE THE EQUINE SENIOR IF THAT FIT THE SITUATION. I AM A PURINA FAN.

Hi I Feed Enriched 32 with second cutting alfalfa/grass hay and I have not be disapointed with this feed...It works for me..

Enriched 32 is by purina feeds..I feed one cup per miniature once a day..

We love the strategy for our show horses, young foals and pregnant broodmares, all do very well on it. We also feed an excellent alfalfa orchardgrass hay with it. Even the mares look good on it right after foaling, nice shiny coats and good body weight over the back too. The foals all did well and we won some top placings in several classes including nationals and those foals were on it too. It helps mostly in developing a lean muscled look if fed correctly.

As far as how much to feed, you really have to try it and then adjust a little bit at a time until you get it right. It also depepnds on your horses build and age too will factor in. Keeping a close eye on them too, you will have to adjust it every so often, as some younger horses will take growing spurts and they will require more grain for a while and then even out and you can reduce it a bit at that time if needed. It makes feeding the miniatures less complicated, but does the best job of any feeds we have used previously. Omelene 200 was also good, but we had slightly better necks using a pelleted feed like Strategy. The upper purina products such as Omelene 200 and 300 and the strategy use top quality grains in their feeds, this comes through on the appearance and vigor of your horse too. Pretty much, you get what you pay for in these feeds, its worth it. Our driving horses get some added biotin for their hooves daily. Others that are on the show string get a small amount of ground flax seed in addition and thats all they need. If we have one come in that is too thin or immature looking, then we will add a bit of soaked beet pulp and-or body builder to help them catch up with the others. Watch them carefully and when they are filled out well and getting to the point where they really dont need any more weight you can take them off the beet pulp and or body builder for a while, or lower it, and see how they maintain.

You can usually get good results though too from just raising or lowering your strategy grain intake too as needed.

Feeding good quality hay too is very important too in keeping your miniatures at their optimum weight and condition.

What do you think of Safe Choice? This was recommended to me but I've also heard negative things about it, including that it isn't truly a low starch feed.

Latest posts

Back