Best exercise?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.T

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering what the best exercise for a horse with weak stifle would be to strengthen them up?

I am no expert but my first mini had a stifle issue and I was told to exercise him by taking him up and down hills 3 times a day for short periods of time and letting him out and run loose in the big pen

he was a yearling at that time.

My vet reommended hill work also, but I live on flat ground, so she said to place poles on the ground and walk him over the poles several times a day. As much turn out as possable.

I haven't had a mini with stifle problems but in big horses you are told lots of hills and pole work. I have found to that you have to keep at the hills or poles. They will weaken again once you stop the work.

Thank you for the article, I have a mini that has it lock up from time/time. Will read this over.

24/7 turnout if possible, in as larger an area of pasture that you can possibly give them. If stabling even for a short time is necessary, then again as big a space as possible. Walks in hand in straight lines, plus gentle hill work and, as others have said, include walking over poles - but remember not to turn in a small circle when returning to re-walk the poles, and each time you do a large curve to return to the poles, remember to change the direction of the curve each time, never keep turning in the same direction, especially with a youngster, or you will end up with a horse that bends easily in one direction only!

And dont forget a companion to play with while living out if possible.

Back