Beet Pulp

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
actually for losing weight it is simple.. due to the fact that the beet pulp increases the portion by so much when it is wet you can actually feed your horse less feed in weight and more feed in bulk. I guess putting the weight issue aside it is most like popcorn

a very small amount of unpopped popcorn more then doubles in actual bulk of eating once it is popped. You still would count the calories/nutrition the same it is from the unpopped corn - or the unsoaked beet pulp but that small handful of popcorn can actually make cups of popped corn so you are of course more satisifed (again talking portion size here) eating the popped amount then if you ate the small handfull.

Same thing with beet pulp you figure the calories/nutrition of the actual dry amount so a horse getting 1 cup of dry beet pulp is actually able to eat 6 cups of soaked beet pulp.

You can actually increase the amount of volume of feed your horse is eating by allowing them to eat the 6 cups of soaked beet pulp (which calorie wise you are only counting as the one cup of dry) compared to of course not being able to eat 6 cups of grain.

So for a horse losing weight instead of allowing them 1 cup of grain which is gone in 2 bites you can give them one cup of beet pulp which soaks out to 6 cups of edible feed.

When you want them to gain weight you include their normal grain portion or increase that and can feed 2 cups of dry beet pulp which makes not just 2 cups of extra feed but in reality 12 cups of extra feed

I've tried beet pulp and didn't really like it. I must not have been doing it right.

We soaked the pulp and found it messy to work with. Plus the horses got dirty mouths eating it. Just too messy and unhandy.

How do you soak yours...for how long and in how much water?

I bought a used cheap steamer/double boiler at a Goodwill store that has the collender. I put the beet pulp in the collender, fill the pot with hot water, let sit 1-2 hours, then pull it out to drain. I'll also rinse it again if I can. You can not believe all the dirt and grit that comes out of beet pulp. I like doing it this way because of getting it clean. Also, it doesn't matter how much water you use, it is going to be drained off. I never could get the ratio consistantly right before and mine don't like it really soupy.

Beet pulp is frequently recommended. I've seen it recommended to help with taking weight off and putting weight on. I'm confused about it's benefits and usage for both conditions. Sure wish someone would explain how/why/when it can/should be used and for what purpose. My mind just has trouble wrapping itself around something that is good for both weight loss and weight gain. Thanks for clarifying things for me.

I use beet pulp for the fiber factor. If properly used/soaked, it is an excellent sourse for the horse's fiber, and it's also good to feed to the pregnant/nursing mares.

Latest posts

Back