Beet Pulp...make them look bloated?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky Horat

Reaction score
Decided to try 3 of our show horses on Beet Pulp. I started out with 3/4 cup (dry) shredded and then soaked in water with their Stable Mix Pellets. I noticed a difference immediately. They were filled in over their topline, but also seemed to look more bloated. I reduced it to about 1/2 cup twice daily and they still don't look fit/trim. I also feed a "very" small handful of grass hay (what I can fit in my fist) and little bit of alfalfa hay. They've also been on Omolene 200 and Rice Bran. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. One horse could really use the filling in over loin area...but don't want him looking fat/bloated either. They are worked regularly as well.

Beet pulp lowers overall protein considerably since it only has about 7% or so itself. When I feed beet pulp, I increase grain to even it out. I would also give your horses some probiotics as I'm wondering if you maybe switched up their feed a little too fast. When you do, the horse's normal gut flora changes, which can cause bloat. Try both and see how that works.

I tried beet pulp on my gelding last year to try and fill out his top line but it made him look bloated also. I talked to some other people and they had the same issue. I don't use it anymore.

Back