Feeding Beet Pulp & Hay cubes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
I have a show horse gelding that I have on the same diet that he was on last year with his previous owner, where he won 3rd in his halter class at Nationals. He is a 4 year old 34" shetland blend gelding. The thing is, I failed to get measurements for each.

He is currently getting 4 cups 13% protein/8% fat pelleted grain, soaked alfalfa cubes and soaked beet pulp twice per day along with coastal Bermuda hay.

He is being worked 5 days per week for 20 minutes a day. I was told to limit his flaked hay and use the soaked cubes and beet pulp as a substitute.

My question being, how much beet pulp, alfalfa cubes and coastal hay should I be feeding twice daily? I want him to look smooth and slender for the shows but not thin. Right now he is fleshy over the ribs, hips and has a flat topline.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
He may need some oats. I would try putting half a cup of oats in with what you are doing now. It may help put some extra muscle in him. Otherwise I think 4 cups of pelleted grain twice a day does not need to be uped. When you exercise him, do you do ground poles? They would help with his toplone. Also try to have him do thinks that will allow him to use different muscles.
default_smile.png

You need to feed him 2-3% of hay for his weight. So for example a 200# horse needs at least 4-6lbs of hay a day. I also personally would not worry about giving flaked hay, giving cubes is fine to save on your hay but other than that I wouldn't worry about it. The same can be said on hay cubes by how much you are giving them.

On beet pulp I start by giving them a 1/2lb a day and I'll up if I need to, but I don't hold back on their hay.

Latest posts

Back