Basic Donk Conf 101

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniwhinny

Reaction score
Could one of you Donkey experts please share a very basic Donkey Conformation 101 for a total newbie. What are you looking for simply in a Donkey.

Thanks.

Basically, you want over all balance. Look for conformation similar to a horse. Of course, a donkey may be more narrow in the chest and butt but their backs should be nice and straight, their necks should tie in well with the shoulder, head in proportion to their body, straight legs, etc...... Meredith Hodges of Lucky Three Ranch in CO did a program on how to tell if your donkey was built for athletics.

This is my jack Kilroy. He typically takes Grand Chamion donkey, even competing against full size donks.

kilroy2.jpg

[SIZE=18pt]What a gorgeous animal
default_yes.gif
: [/SIZE]
[SIZE=18pt]Kilroy is a perfect example
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]
kilroy2.jpg

So that's the famous Kilroy! OH MY GOSH he's gorgeous :new_shocked: Now I see what to look for. My goodness he is just awesome.
default_wub.png
:

Wow, he is NICE. Right down to his coat, it shines so it makes him all the more gorgeous. Beautiful guy their, I"d love to see him in real life.

Thanks Ya'll!
default_wub.png
: He is quite the guy. He has attitude to boot. You should see him strut when he goes to get his ribbons.
default_yes.gif
: I'll have to see if my friend can video him at the next show next week. We're very proud of our boy. If you ever get to meet him in person, you'll really love him. He loves people and wants you to hug him. He'll hug you back. :bgrin

His coat is that shiney even though he was filthy dirty! He just gleams.

He's gorgeous! How old is he? I think I need to more pictures of correct donkeys-like from the front and behind. All I can ever find online are drawings which are not helpful. I'm sort of obsessed with my donkeys being cow-hocked (see other thread) can you post a picture of Kilroy's a** so I can see what his back legs look like?
default_blush.png
: Actually any donkey with correct hind legs would do.

Kilroy is a '98 model. Too bad he doesn't like jennys huh?! :eek:

I don't have any photos of him straight on. I can take some if I have time tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back