Barn party!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mominis

Reaction score
Tomorrow, the barn where I stable Shake is holding a clinic. It's a basics kind of clinic, as many of the people there are new to horses and need reminding of how to tie, how to lead safely, etc. In the email invitation, it said to bring munchies to share if we like, so I borrowed my friend Jacki's cucumber sammies recipe. I thought I'd share it with you guys, it's so refreshing, cheap, and easy!!

1 loaf of pumpernickel bread, cut in bite sized rounds

1 block of cream cheese, softened

1 pouch Zesty Italian dressing mix (just the powder)

2 cucumbers, sliced thin

Dill weed, to taste

Mix the Zesty Italian dressing mix with the cream cheese. Spread on bread rounds. Top with slices of cucumber and sprinkle with dill weed. Tah-dah!

I'm always posting recipes...you guys must think I'm a chow hound. lol

drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
YUMMY! Those are sooooo good. I havent had those in years.
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif

I saw the post on the sidebar saying you're making them and was happy to see you post the recipe. I've never had them but they sound delicious, i'm going to make them for a family get together at the end of the month. I love getting new recipies, thanks.

Just checking to see how the barn party went and if you have any left over of those cucumber sammies you made? Foal watching in the barn tonight, wondering if you could send some my way, lol!

Thanks for asking, Holly. They rescheduled to next Saturday it because of the blasted rain that just won't go away. So, I have all the stuff here. Just PM your address and I'll ship them to you. We need to keep them chilled. Mind if ship them in an Equitainer? ROFL!! J/K

Aw that stinks. I wish it would rain here. Goodness. Its so dry.

LOL I was just kidding about sending those hahahha!

Okay half blonde here, so excuse me for being clueless.... what is a equitainer?? LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this recipe! I've been looking for something quick to make for a "girls night in" this Friday.

Once a month my 4 adjoining farm neighbor ladies all meet at one of our houses and we each bring a small snack to share while we visit and gab.

It seems if we don't set a date to do this we are all so busy with the family and the farm that we never get a chance to visit, unless of course we run into one another at the feed store.
yes.gif

Glad you are going to try them, Penny! Today I'm making hashedbrown casserole (like the stuff they make at Cracker Barrel) for "breakfast" down at work. I love them!!

If I can ever get it together, I'd love to start a show vending business and sell healthy stuff as well as more , to quote my husband, "foo-foo," stuff than we can usually find at shows. If I ever get that far, maybe I can use you guys as my test kitchen and bounce recipes off of you to see if you think they'd sell. Doing the vending business is a dream of mine, but we have to take things one step at a time. Until then, we usually cook at the stalls at shows and you are all invited!

Hashbrown casserole?? Do tell! We don't have Cracker Barrels up here but I love their food....

Leia

Sure, Leia. It's totally simple and cheap to make.

Hashedbrown Casserole

30oz bag frozen shredded country style potatoes, thawed slightly

2 cups shredded Colby cheese

1/4 cup yellow onion, minced

1 cup milk

1/2 cup water mixed with...

1 packet of Onion soup mix

2 TBSP butter, melted

dash of garlic powder

salt

pepper

Preheat oven to 425. Mix the Hashed browns, Onion, and Cheese in a large bowl (and I mean LARGE bowl), mix 1 TBSP melted butter, onion soup that has been mixed iwth water, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a smaller bowl. Add to large bowl once well blended and toss together. Then put the mixture in an oven proof skillet and cook until the cheese melts (around 7 minutes). Place the skillet, uncovered, into the oven for about 45 minutes to an hour, until the surface is dark brown. Let stand 20 minutes and serve. Mmmm.....

These recipes are GREAT! Thanks for sharing.

Any ideas for quick and healthy snacks to take to shows?

These recipes are GREAT! Thanks for sharing.

Any ideas for quick and healthy snacks to take to shows?

Oh, I'm sure I have something in my drawer that would work. What are you able to have with you? We take a college sized fridge that I was lucky enough to find at a garage sale. Would you have an Igloo cooler or something like that, or do you need munchies that you don't have to keep chilled?

Latest posts

Back