barn fans

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minis3

Reaction score
Does anyone else let their barn fans run 24/7? It has been hot and humid here lately and I have been letting the barn fan run through the night but this always worries me. My barn has adequate wiring to handle this but I still worry. It is a farm and ranch fan especially made for outdoor use. My barn is not real big and it can get a little stuffy in there so I like to have a fan running for my horses but always worry when I leave it running overnight.

My horses have discovered that standing near the fan is A VERY GOOD THING! When we first put it up, they were unsure of this new intruder, especially when it was running. They just stood at the barn door. So I went in and stood under it while it was running and they immediately came to me and have loved their barn fan ever since. How wonderful it was to know my horses trusted me completley.

Thanks barnbum for your reply. Much appreciated.

Does anyone else let their barn fans run 24/7?

No, I don't.

I have some box fans from Walmart. I also have a large industrial fan for the isleway from Tractor Supply and that thing does run HOT

I notice just after a couple of hours, it's very hot and I unplug it for a while.

I don't go to town or anywhere and leave that big one running ever. The box fans I don't worry about nearly as much as that big fan.

At night, or during the day if it's going to storm I shut them all down.

Thanks Marty. Over heating is one of the things I worry about with the fan although I check it often to make sure it isn't.

We have box fans set up on a power strip. We just turn the strip off at night (the horses go out to eat at night anyway) and then first thing in the morning we turn them back on (just one switch on the power strip).

My horses and donkeys absolutely love them. I have a few who would not leave them during the daytime for anything hardly. We hang them from the ceiling and run the wires high too so no chewing or accidently catching on them. It moves the air enough to cool it and discourage flies....

I am here mostly 24/7 anyway and I do turn them off if it looks like a storm but then I do that with house stuff too.....

We definately leave ours on when ever they are in the barn but in the 100 degree weather I get them outside. Its cooloer outside than in the barn.

we leave ours on all day but turn them off at night and leave the barn doors open

but it usually is cool enough here at night.

We leave the horses in except a couple hours early in the morning when its

horrible hot as its been

I feel better when they are in their stalls at night call me a worry wart I guess

because we don't have preditors to speak of in our area

we also use the box fans from walmart,about $12, I think....discourages flies and is cooling for the "kids".

leave them on 24/7 if temps warrant it, we replace them every year because of the buildup of dust/dirt internally can cause overheating and possible failure. Michael

No I do not let the fans run at night. Neither do I leave them running when I leave the farm. Anything electric that is not being used is also unplugged.

Nope my do not run 24/7 at all I have them on Timers.

And I insisted even at the boarding stable I worked at while in AZ. that ALL fans were to have timers on them at least to shut down a few hours at night to cool off those tiny motors and the dust that gets in them~!

I mean gee those small timers only like what 7 bucks something like that better then having a fan getting hot and starting something you don't ever want to happen in a barn, a Fire......

Latest posts

Back